PDA

View Full Version : Aaaaagghhh - Jet-lag + stupidity = film checked through...

deldridg
11-Aug-2013, 19:48
Hi all,

I've just had the horror of realising that I've managed to forget to take my film out of my checked bag and it's just flown from LA to Calgary. Film included:

- 2 x 4x5 Velvia 100F (20 pack)
- 1 x 4x5 Portra 400 (10 pack)
- 5 x 120 Tri-X 400 rolls
- assorted other 120 rolls, either ISO 100, 160 or 400.

So I'm assuming there must have been damage and will shoot a few frames of the Velvia, Portra 400 and the Tri-X and have them processed to see what's eventuated. However, I have the feeling that I won't have full confidence in them now. Any thoughts???

Of course the cost is sad but sadder is the potential waste of such a precious commodity.

Cheers,
Silly David

Otto Seaman
11-Aug-2013, 20:07
At least it sounds like it was all unexposed, that's the bright side. And you learned your lesson!

vinny
11-Aug-2013, 20:30
I know a Canadian who checked 75+ sheets of exposed 8x10. All toast. At least you didn't shoot yours.

deldridg
11-Aug-2013, 21:38
Yes, unexposed is something of a blessing. The shame of it is that the US guys on X-ray were very happy to hand-check, so it would have been a complete breeze to get them in untouched.

Oh well - maybe the ISO100 has survived - will do a few test shots tomorrow and report once developed.

Thanks for responding!

Cheers,
David

Tim Meisburger
12-Aug-2013, 06:27
Hmmm... I unthinkingly checked through all my shots (ASA100) from a month in Indonesia (about 40, I think), and all were ruined by banding. Sorry, but I guess your film is ruined. For a while after that I was so traumatised I traveled with chemicals and developed on the road. I don't do that anymore, but i do remember to carry on all my film.

PS: You don't have to hand check, just send it through the carry on scanners. I've never had a problem with that.

SergeiR
12-Aug-2013, 08:20
Dont fret on it. Just try a sheet or two out of the batch.

I had my film in luggage on transatlantic flights - exposed and not and never had issue.

Kevin Crisp
12-Aug-2013, 09:05
I don't think they x ray every single bag. Do try a sheet from each box, you my have lucked out.

Ray Van Nes
12-Aug-2013, 10:17
Hello. The Camera Store in Calgary should be able to help you replace most of what you require. This is not a plug but helping you get on with what is important - taking pictures.
Cheers
Ray

IanG
12-Aug-2013, 10:47
You may be lucky. I've accidently left film in checked baggage when the airline wouldn't let me take my small backpack as carry on luggage. Initially i didn't use the film but decided to process a sheet when processing some different film - it was fine.

In many airports checked luggage gets scanned by the same types of scanners as carry-on but gets diverted to deeper X-ray inspection if there's anything suspicious.

Ian

BrianShaw
12-Aug-2013, 11:35
In many airports checked luggage gets scanned by the same types of scanners as carry-on but gets diverted to deeper X-ray inspection if there's anything suspicious.

... and some of the newest CT equipment does this 2-level scan automatically (or semi-automatically). The first stage is an xray of hte level experienced in the carry-on screening devices. It is the second CT phase that kills film. There is some hope that the film wasn't damaged but, as others have said, only testing will tell for sure.

Drew Bedo
18-Aug-2013, 08:01
I had a box of 4x5 Tri-X hand checked in Houston in 2011 and they opened both packets in side the box . . .all fogegd

jnantz
19-Aug-2013, 05:14
Dont fret on it. Just try a sheet or two out of the batch.

I had my film in luggage on transatlantic flights - exposed and not and never had issue.

+1

Andrew O'Neill
19-Aug-2013, 11:10
No worries David, Canadian x-ray at airports is quite tame.

deldridg
26-Aug-2013, 13:07
Hi all and sorry for the 'blackout' - my assignment in Canada left me with precious little time.

A couple of weeks ago I had my client post some of my "checked-in" film off to "The Lab" in Vancouver and thankfully, the Velvia 100 seems to be unaffected, the Tri-X 400 120 rolls had some very slight fogging but they said it was unlikely to have been from an X-Ray - puzzling.

Some of you have had horrendous experiences (I can't imagine how horrifying it would be to have your exposed film opened in front of you - the thought of it brings tears) and I have to report that at all stages of security on my flights home a few days ago, security was very obliging and pleased to hand-check. I have an image of my LF camera on my mobile and showed it to security at each point. As everyone does, they all expressed interest and amazement that someone still lives who shoots with such a camera and were more than willing to assist me! A useful trick.

So again, thank you and this episode appears to have been less of a disaster than initially assumed.

Many regards,
David