PDA

View Full Version : is this a light leak?

bomzi
11-Aug-2013, 09:26
I just got done processing (taco method) a batch of Kodak Portra and have found what looks like a light leak in the lower right hand corner of the portrait oriented shots.

I wonder if it might be caused by a gap between the film holder and the Sinar F2 ground glass.

Would someone be able to advise on this?

I've also got a major scratched film issue... too many problems!

Thanks in advance.
Randhir

Leonard Evens
11-Aug-2013, 12:24
I'm not sure what you are talking about. There seems to be a small sharply defined lighter area in three of your pictures and perhaps a blurred section in the lower left in the other one. Were you shooting transparency film? In that case a light leak might produce lighter sections. With color negative film, a light leak would produce a darker smudge.

The fact that the regions are sharply defined suggests that something like a simple light leak is not the source of the problem., but it is certainly possible that your film holder is allowing a sharply defined patch of light in around the corner. It is also possible that the light leak is occurring during the development phase.

bomzi
12-Aug-2013, 08:13
I've added a red arrow to indicate the location of the "leak". The size and shape are very consistent across multiple sheets that have been exposed in many different film holders.

I've new to 4x5 and have shot about 100 sheets so far. The first 50 dont seem to have this issue. Out of the last 50 sheets, almost all have the issue. 100064100065100066100067

SergeiR
12-Aug-2013, 08:18
the light leak would be.. well.. light. Would it not?

So how did you process your film?

Gem Singer
12-Aug-2013, 08:30
To answer your question, no, it is not a light leak.

Probably a processing error.

bomzi
12-Aug-2013, 08:44
I am processing these sheets using the Taco Method.
Here's a link explaining the method:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/digi-film/sets/72157627864733730/

The film is Kodak Portra (c-41).

What kind of processing error could it be? It's very very consistent. Always at the same corner of the film.
Given that the issue seems to happen no matter which film holder I use, I'm wondering if I need to check the ground glass to see if there is a gap when I slide the film holder in.

Gem Singer
12-Aug-2013, 09:00
Could be caused by a corner of the sheet of film overlapping when you fold it when using the "taco" method.

Try a different method of developing your film (have it developed by a lab). See if it still occurs.

bomzi
12-Aug-2013, 09:09
Could be caused by a corner of the sheet of film overlapping when you fold it when using the "taco" method.

Try a different method of developing your film (have it developed by a lab). See if it still occurs.

Yes, I was thinking of doing exactly that.

It's a real bummer if I've gone and screwed up so much film...

ataim
12-Aug-2013, 09:17
Are all them from the same box of film? Odd that it is in the same spot. Can you try a different box?

bomzi
12-Aug-2013, 09:41
Are all them from the same box of film? Odd that it is in the same spot. Can you try a different box?

The film is from multiple boxes.