PDA

View Full Version : Bulb replacement on Philips PCS 130 Enlarger

Ari
11-Aug-2013, 06:55
Hi all,
I picked up a very interesting enlarger yesterday, even though I had no intention of getting back into the darkroom.
It has a nice colour system, with an accessory single bulb for B&W printing.
The bulb that normally goes in there is a Philips Photocrescenta 150W 220V bulb, and the plug for this socket attachment is European.

My question: I was going to go to the local photo store and get a fluorescent bulb to replace the incandescent bulb, since I can't find one right now.
What do you think should be the wattage of the fluo bulb, and will it work in the Euro socket (with a voltage adapter, of course).

Thanks in advance.

Leigh
11-Aug-2013, 13:17
I believe you have 250 volts available in Canada, yes/no?

If so, it would be cheaper to buy a socket adapter.
These are commonly available at places that sell traveling accessories.

Alternatively, you could get one of the 110/220-volt converter transformers that include European sockets.
While I would normally recommend one rated higher than the load, I think a 250-volt-amp (watt) rating
would be OK since this is a very low duty cycle application.

I wouldn't recommend a replacement lamp, since using the wrong one might adversely affect illumination uniformity.

- Leigh

Ari
11-Aug-2013, 13:29
Thanks, Leigh; we use 110V here, too.
I do have the adapter required, and the bulb, once plugged in, turns on and stays on, with little to no explosive noises. :)
The original bulb was 150W and 220V, but since it's now plugged into a 110V power source, perhaps I can get by with a 150W/110V which is easier to find here.

BTW, if you ever come across one of these enlargers, they are very impressive and make the smallest of footprints.

Leigh
11-Aug-2013, 13:45
Good on ya about the noise.

Explosions in a confined space like a darkroom can damage your ears. :D

- Leigh