PDA

View Full Version : Xenar Tessar 21cm 210mm f3.5 lenses

holms1975
11-Aug-2013, 06:42
Hello
I am looking for ether 21cm Xenar f3.5 or 21cm Tessar f3.5 in barrels. I have seen some of it was mounted on Graflex D SLRs and I have seen a couple of portraits wich I liked that was done with 21cm Xenar f3.5,
If anyone have any for sale or know someone who wonts to sell one , please let me know.
Also there is very little information on this lenses. if some one had expirience with this lenses , that would be greate to find out how good they are wide open and the contrast.
Thanks
Alex

monkeymon
13-Aug-2013, 01:32
T coated Jena Tessar 210/3.5 was one of my first LF lenses, right after the 127/4.7 uncoated ektar. All i can say, that it's a excellent lens! Definitely should shoot more with it, nowadays i have faster lenses.. so it kinda drops in the middle. But one thing it has, it's fairly compact and light compared to the speed monsters.. like aero ektar, and the 210mm focal length is better all arounder for portraits, as you can get pretty close with it. I would definately recommend this lens.

holms1975
13-Aug-2013, 13:50
T coated Jena Tessar 210/3.5 was one of my first LF lenses, right after the 127/4.7 uncoated ektar. All i can say, that it's a excellent lens! Definitely should shoot more with it, nowadays i have faster lenses.. so it kinda drops in the middle. But one thing it has, it's fairly compact and light compared to the speed monsters.. like aero ektar, and the 210mm focal length is better all arounder for portraits, as you can get pretty close with it. I would definately recommend this lens.

Thanks for your answer, but it seems like no one to sell one,
Regards
Alex

IanG
13-Aug-2013, 14:11
It's unlikely you'll get a response, the site requires you to be a member for a month then you can post a Wanted (or Sales) advert in the rlevant Sales/Wanted section.

Be patient I've found that people are very helpful when you post wanted adverts correctly.

Ian

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
13-Aug-2013, 15:05
There is a pretty wide variation in performance. The uncoated f3.5 Xenars and Tessars can have serious issues with flare, to the point where they look quite soft. The post-war single coated Xenars and Tessars are much better, but still very susceptible to flare. Once you deal with the flare (a lens hood is a necessity), some are surprisingly sharp.

monkeymon
14-Aug-2013, 15:00
Thanks for your answer, but it seems like no one to sell one,
Regards
Alex

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARL-ZEISS-JENA-FAST-TESSAR-T-N88-250MM-25CM-f-3-5-FOR-CAMBO-SINAR-LINHOF-WISTA-/111024645662

There is this one, ridiculously priced.. but maybe you can offer him some sense? :)

There used to be plenty of these, mine cost something like 50e (60-70$).. well, that was at least 5 years ago...

Just realized it's the 250mm version... so no go...

jp
14-Aug-2013, 17:23
You've got to be either patient or willing to spend. It's not like new gear where people have it stock ready to go for the sole purpose of selling it.

IanG
15-Aug-2013, 01:23
Not f3.5 but there is a 210mm f6.3 Congo lens which is coated and a Tessar design they can be found at a reasonable price.

Ian

Ken Lee
15-Aug-2013, 04:22
210mm f/4.5 Tessars are available and affordable, in shutter and in barrel.

I'd be surprised if one could tell the difference wide-open, and the 4.5 lens might be a better performer all around.

holms1975
15-Aug-2013, 04:24
Not f3.5 but there is a 210mm f6.3 Congo lens which is coated and a Tessar design they can be found at a reasonable price.

Ian

Thanks for answers
I will keep searching ebay adds

monkeymon
15-Aug-2013, 06:15

Ian

f6.3 kinda makes i hard to use it on slr camera?

Sevo
15-Aug-2013, 06:29
It is one stop less than f/4.5. Not really an issue with Graflex-like SLRs whose "chimney" hoods were designed to mask all outside light, but you'll want a faster lens for German/British style SLRs with short open hoods. On the other hand, be aware that the f/3.5 Tessar/Xenar (at least mine) shows quite significant focus shift - i.e. it is useless for focusing at f/3.5 and stopping down for exposure, you'll have to shoot at the aperture you focused at. The f/3.5 are only good if shallow DOF and low contrast are desirable or at least acceptable - if you want to stop down in any case, the f/4.5 Tessar types are considerably superior.

IanG
15-Aug-2013, 09:47
You might try looking on the MWClassic (http://www.mwclassic.com) website they are in London and often have reasonably priced lenses. I had an excellent TTH Cooke lens of them for one of my TP Ruby reflex cameras earlier this year. They have an f4.5 210mm Xenar but it's not mint.

Ian

EdSawyer
16-Aug-2013, 21:09
I have a pretty nice , early 21cm f/3.5 xenar I might consider selling, I had planned on using it on a super-d graflex also. But I have other lenses too...

Thanks,
Ed

holms1975
18-Aug-2013, 01:17
I have a pretty nice , early 21cm f/3.5 xenar I might consider selling, I had planned on using it on a super-d graflex also. But I have other lenses too...

Thanks,
Ed
I am not sure if you have receive my reply
Can I see pictures of your lens, and what may be the price
Thanks
Alex

Dan Fromm
18-Aug-2013, 07:55
f6.3 kinda makes i hard to use it on slr camera?Not necessarily, Alex. I had no problems focusing f/9 Apo-Nikkors and f/10 Apo Saphirs with the Baby Bertha I built around a 2x3 Graflex RB Series B. I abandoned that project, but difficulty focusing slow lenses wasn't the reason I abandoned the project.