PDA

View Full Version : lost a lens cap

Frank_E
10-Aug-2013, 15:59
was out today and lost the lens cap for my Pentax digital spot meter
I know it is a push on type of cap

two questions

can someone check there's to see if there is a size marked inside
I presume I can simply measure the outer diameter to find out what the size should be
but often that lacks the accuracy you require because they need to fit quite snug

second and more important question
is there a place such as an Ebay site
where I can get a replacement

thx
Frank

BrianShaw
10-Aug-2013, 16:23
Measure it (outside diameter, as you guessed) and check B&H. They have the largest supply of different sizes of push on lens caps I've ever found.

Racer X 69
10-Aug-2013, 16:32
Or maybe a hydraulic fitting dust cap might fit?

vinny
10-Aug-2013, 17:18
A search for pentax spotmeter cap reveals this thread which has your answer. Try the search function.http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?49142-Pentax-spotmeter-lens-cap

Bill_1856
10-Aug-2013, 17:21
Mine takes a standard 49mm snap-in from my regular Pentax lenses.

Steve Goldstein
10-Aug-2013, 18:56

That's quite different from my Pentax digital, which takes a 44mm push-on. I just happened to notice the size while using it today.

To the OP's point, it's a Kaiser replacement cap I purchased from B&H.

Bill Burk
10-Aug-2013, 21:41
Good luck finding a replacement as you probably would like it...

I recall reading a tyrade by Fred Picker where he went off about how un-necessary a lens cap is for a spotmeter. Probably something like how it slows you down, you're always hunting for it, and you're not using the lens to make a photographic image anyway, so who cares if it gets dirty.

Jim Noel
10-Aug-2013, 21:45
I have had one of those meters for over 20 years. The first thing I did was throw away the bothersome cap.

Heroique
10-Aug-2013, 22:05
The Pentax has 40.5mm threads.

I just inspected the Pentax cap, and it doesn't have size markings.

But I did put my ruler to it ... looks like 44mm (inner diameter). But it also looks like there are ribs along the cap's inner circumference (12 of them) that would take a slight bite out of that measurement. Maybe 43mm from rib to rib.

I think a Kaiser 44mm cap would work.

Leszek Vogt
10-Aug-2013, 22:13
Frank, most likely you can get one from Quality Light Metric Co.(323) 467-2265. My Minolta was missing a cap and they had one.

Les

tgtaylor
11-Aug-2013, 09:21
Check around and you may find a new replacement cap. I had to replace mine earlier this year as it no longer fitted snugly from use and kept falling off. I found one in a camera store that sold Pentax items.

Thomas

AtlantaTerry
11-Aug-2013, 09:32
You could attach one of those inexpensive "Lens Cap Saver" kits (a string with two sticky devices at the ends).

My Sekonic L-758DR light meter came with a string attached to the lens cap which is a good thing because the cap simply will not stay on. How is it that they can design an excellent meter yet not get something correct that is as simple as the lens cap?

BrianShaw
11-Aug-2013, 10:32
You could attach one of those inexpensive "Lens Cap Saver" kits (a string with two sticky devices at the ends).

My Sekonic L-758DR light meter came with a string attached to the lens cap which is a good thing because the cap simply will not stay on. How is it that they can design an excellent meter yet not get something correct that is as simple as the lens cap?

Ha ha ha... great question. I cut the string and promptly lost the cap to my 558 long before I even knew that Fred Picker recommended that. The loose fitting (and floppy) lens cap was the most frustrating part of learning to use that meter. After it was gone... much less frustration!

Bob Salomon
11-Aug-2013, 14:04
Many of the latest Kaiser push-on caps have a loop molded into the rim of the cap so you can tie it down to the thing you use it on.

Racer X 69
11-Aug-2013, 14:29
Check around and you may find a new replacement cap. I had to replace mine earlier this year as it no longer fitted snugly from use and kept falling off. I found one in a camera store that sold Pentax items.

Thomas

You found a store that actually has Pentax merchandise on the shelves?

Corran
12-Aug-2013, 12:41

My V model also takes a 49mm cap. I only know this because it came with a 49-52mm step-up ring attached, which I promptly stole and used on a lens.

I don't bother putting a cap on the Spotmeter. Why would you? It's already got a massive "hood" that protects the front element.

Bob Salomon
12-Aug-2013, 17:32
You found a store that actually has Pentax merchandise on the shelves?

Robi's in Tacoma stocks quite a bit of Pentax equipment.

Frank_E
12-Aug-2013, 17:50
Robi's in Tacoma stocks quite a bit of Pentax equipment.

thanks for all of the responses
now have a number of leads to follow up on

Bob thanks for the Pentax lead
I would like to get a different focusing screen for my Pentax 67 so might give them a call

Bryan, I may try that for a while before I decide..

Frank_E
15-Aug-2013, 16:31
ok I'm not really a religious person but some events make you start believing in God...

I had devoted at least 15 to 20 minutes looking for that lost lens cap before and didn't find it
not surprising it is a wooded area with lots of ferns, undergrowth, fallen logs etc etc
today I wanted to do another shoot in a location close to the other one
ran out of film on the last shoot so had decided to come back because there was a particular shot I still wanted to get

after getting my shots
I decided what the heck, give it one more try
after 3 minutes looking I found the lens cap under a fallen log… Hallelujah...

William Whitaker
15-Aug-2013, 17:01
There's a Pentax digital spotmeter cap somewhere along the Whitney Portal Road. Don't ask me how I know, but it's yours if you can find it! ;-)

It was on a workshop with Alan Ross when I lost my cap for my Zone VI digital spotmeter. Alan's advice was to forget about it and get a clear (skylight) filter to protect the lens. If it gets dirty, clean it. If it gets broken, replace it. As mentioned elsewhere, it's a 40.5mm filter thread - not the most common. I lucked out and found a used one in a camera shop in Bishop, CA. 12 years later I'm still using it. No cap to fuss with. No more angst over losing one, either.

Heroique
15-Aug-2013, 19:54
ok I'm not really a religious person but ... I decided what the heck, give it one more try after 3 minutes looking I found the lens cap under a fallen log ... Hallelujah ...

Hurrah! It’s a great feeling. Me, I’ve lost and then found a small level while looking for it a second time. Funny thing is, I found it in a spot that I had diligently searched the first time. This happy ending may not have change my religiosity, but I do now believe in mischievous forest elves.

anthony marsh
16-Aug-2013, 11:46
You might be able to use a prescription bottle cap as a temporary cap. Tony