PDA

View Full Version : Spot meter recommendations

stradibarrius
10-Aug-2013, 04:42
My spot meter got busted so I need to replace it. I want to get something reasonable, probably used.
What recommendations do you have?

Regular Rod
10-Aug-2013, 04:59
My spot meter got busted so I need to replace it. I want to get something reasonable, probably used.
What recommendations do you have?

Pentax Spotmeter V is still excellent and if you avoid going for a mint example you can get them for little money.

RR

C_Remington
10-Aug-2013, 05:02
Such a huge selection to choose from. Hmm......

:rolleyes:

stradibarrius
10-Aug-2013, 05:09
The Pentax V was one of the main meters I was looking at.
Do others also recommend the Pentax V?

Ed Bray
10-Aug-2013, 07:48
I have a Sekonic L758DR and a Minolta Spotmeter F, I tend to use the Spotmeter F outside and the L758DR indoors with flash using the Pocket Wizard Radio Trigger.

Gem Singer
10-Aug-2013, 08:02
Hi Barry,

Keep your eyes open for a previously owned Pentax digital meter that has been modified by Zone VI, in excellent condition.

They come up for sale on this forum once in a while. More expensive than the Pentax V, but worth it.

It's a great meter for LF photography.

Alan Gales
10-Aug-2013, 10:38
The Pentax Spot Meter V is a great meter. You can pick one up for around $100.00 off Ebay.

The Pentax Digital Spot Meter is newer and more compact and of course higher in price.

stradibarrius
10-Aug-2013, 12:25
I think I am going for the Pentax V. There are several on ebay like you said.
Thanks

Gem Singer
10-Aug-2013, 12:42
Barry,

Be aware that there are several versions of the Pentax V meter. They are larger and bulkier than the digital meters.

They often need re-calibrating.

Older Pentax V's take batteries that are difficult to find. Newer ones take expensive silver batteries.

There is a Pentax digital meter for sale on this forum at a reasonable price. It uses batteries that are less expensive and easier to find.

Leonard Evens
10-Aug-2013, 12:45
I recommend either the Pentax Digital or the Pentax V. If you can find either used at a good price, grab it.

For years I used the original Pentax spotmeter, but when I couldn't replace the mercury battery, I got a Pentax Digital spotmeter. Recently, I found a device on the web (http://home.myfairpoint.net/~snowleop/merc/640index.htm) which allows me to use my older meter with Lithium batteries. So now I can use either.

Alan Gales
10-Aug-2013, 15:28
Barry,

Be aware that there are several versions of the Pentax V meter. They are larger and bulkier than the digital meters.

They often need re-calibrating.

Older Pentax V's take batteries that are difficult to find.

I think those are actually pre Spot Meter V's (someone correct me if I'm wrong). They look like Spot Meter V's but are darker in color and you are correct about the batteries being hard to find.

I have even seen one of the original Pentax Spot Meters on Ebay. Someone wanted a big price for it. I heard that you can't get batteries for them any longer.

hmf
10-Aug-2013, 18:19
The Minolta Spotmeter F is small, takes easy to find batteries, and the display can be read outside the viewfinder. It would be my #1 choice.

Scott Davis
10-Aug-2013, 18:25
Another vote for the Minolta Spotmeter F. The M is almost as good (it doesn't do flash readings, but is otherwise comparable), but it requires a silver oxide battery and doesn't have a true on/off switch, which makes it more likely to run down the battery (which is expensive).

Leigh
10-Aug-2013, 18:49
I recommend the Sekonic L-558. It does incident, reflected, and 1° spot, with all the fancy multi-pop processing.

It has everything you need, for a reasonable price.
It was discontinued a few years ago when they brought out the horribly over-priced L-758.

The L-558 is readily available on the used market.

- Leigh

stradibarrius
12-Aug-2013, 10:41
I found a good deal on a SEKONIC L-778 DUAL SPOT F with a case so I hope I like it.

ShannonG
18-Sep-2013, 09:22
I like my Minolta spot meter F

Jody_S
18-Sep-2013, 14:10
I recommend the Minolta Spotmeter F, even though I currently use the Pentax V. The Pentax doesn't have filtering for IR wavelengths, and I'm shooting mostly IR 8x10 these days. I bought a 46mm -> step-up ring, and I mount my IR filter on the meter for more accurate readings (I use the built-in illuminator to read the meter's scale, but it's not a great solution). However, if you're shooting 'normal' film, this is not an advantage. A meter that filters out IR and UV will give you more accurate readouts. The Minolta will be better, especially if you're in a forest with lots of reflected IR light off of leaves and such.

Bill Burk
18-Sep-2013, 19:30
stradibarrius,

Saw the manual on Butkus' site, looks like it's a good meter. Hope it works out for you.

Bob Sawin
2-Oct-2013, 15:22
Thanks

Not to mention you could use it to protect yourself if the need arose. It's built like a tank and would make quite a weapon...lol
Seriously, it's a fine meter.

Roger Thoms
2-Oct-2013, 17:37
Thanks

I have a Gossen Ultra Spot II and a Pentax V, and have been favoring the Pentax. The Gossen is a great meter but I like the simplicity of the Pentax.

Roger

IanB
3-Oct-2013, 03:00
I use an older Pentax analogue meter (pre-V), and it's very viable. There are two batteries - the one for the low light scale is a standard rectangular 9V PP3 item, so easily available, and they last for ages. The other battery only operates a light inside the meter so you can read the scale in total darkness - strangely enough, I've never really felt the need to use that feature. You can calibrate it yourself with a small screwdriver.
I bought it cheap as a stand-in, but it's turned out to be simple, accurate, ultra-reliable and virtually indestructible. No wonder they don't make them any more...

ki6mf
6-Oct-2013, 06:18
Make certain that you get the button style batteries as mentioned. Some of the earlier PentaxV required a mercury battery which is no longer manufactured.

gsinico
11-Feb-2014, 16:18
I suggest the Minolta spot meter , flash and continuum light.

Ben Calwell
11-Feb-2014, 16:34
I bought my Spotmeter V brand new in about 1984, and it's still going strong.

Bruce Barlow
11-Feb-2014, 17:23
I understand that parts are not available for the Pentax V, whereas they are for the Pentax Digital. So if you're V breaks, you're probably screwed.

I own 2 digitals. They are great, and IMHO worth spending the money on.

Michael Clark
11-Feb-2014, 19:11
I understand that parts are not available for the Pentax V, whereas they are for the Pentax Digital. So if you're V breaks, you're probably screwed.

I own 2 digitals. They are great, and IMHO worth spending the money on.
Where can I get parts for my Pentax Digital spot meter ?

jumanji
11-Feb-2014, 20:18
Richard Ritter!
http://www.lg4mat.net/index.html

Where can I get parts for my Pentax Digital spot meter ?

Michael Clark
11-Feb-2014, 20:50
Thanks jumanji.

Peter Gomena
12-Feb-2014, 00:20
My Pentax V is a Zone VI modified model that has served me well for 25 years. It's about to go in to Richard Ritter for some TLC and a tuneup. Trusty, accurate and rugged. It uses the silver oxide button batteries, which are readily available. There also are alkaline equivalents.

alavergh
15-Feb-2014, 08:00
Thanks to everybody for their recommendations. I stumbled upon this as I've wanted to get a better meter for a while now.

I've got that little sekonic meter that does reflected light and incident, though I only use it for incident readings and mostly for flash.

My digital slr has a spot meter and I have a 200mm lens for it...I'd use that, but I don't want to lug the thing around with me.

Why are these spot meters so expensive? All I want is a 1% spot meter. It doesn't need anything fancy, just needs to tell me how much light is being reflected. Doesn't end to meter flash. Doesn't need to have a light on it. Doesn't need to be digital. Who actually uses these light meters to justify the price of these new meters?

Regular Rod
15-Feb-2014, 10:56
Buy an old Pentax V or even one of the earlier versions. They are robust and work beautifully and need not cost a fortune. Put a search on eBay and wait a little while. You'll find one.

Try this search " Pentax Spotmeter -digital -Minolta " and then save it to get email notifications when they come available.

RR

Post Script: Just tried that search! There's one with a missing battery door for $79.99. It shouldn't be impossible to make a replacement. Two of mine were bought as broken and all they needed was the battery connections cleaning and new batteries!

Bill Burk
15-Feb-2014, 18:31
Who actually uses these light meters to justify the price of these new meters?

A friend explained to me the other day... it's a sunk cost.

mikebarger
16-Feb-2014, 05:57
My Pentax V is a Zone VI modified model that has served me well for 25 years. It's about to go in to Richard Ritter for some TLC and a tuneup. Trusty, accurate and rugged. It uses the silver oxide button batteries, which are readily available. There also are alkaline equivalents.

Richard tuned mine up, great meter.....like it better than my digital backup.

NancyP
3-Mar-2014, 12:21
Does anyone have experience with the Soligor (Adorama) digital spot meter? Dial arrangement looks like pentax. Soligor is cheaper on FleaBay.

Tim Meisburger
3-Mar-2014, 14:45
I had one and liked it fine. It is very similar to the pentax, but plastic and lighter.

Thom Bennett
3-Mar-2014, 16:18
Yes, and I sent it to Ritter for a CLA and calibration. Nice inexpensive meter.

Does anyone have experience with the Soligor (Adorama) digital spot meter? Dial arrangement looks like pentax. Soligor is cheaper on FleaBay.

NancyP
3-Mar-2014, 16:45
Thanks. I may opt for the Soligor, then. It takes a 9 V battery, not the harder to find battery used by Pentax digital.

Drew Wiley
3-Mar-2014, 17:07
Main difference is that the Pentax digital spotmeter has MC optics, so more resistant to flare than the Soligor. Nonetheless I keep a rubber hood on mine. The
Pentax uses a PX28 battery, easy to find at most drugstores. No big deal, and lighter wt than a normal 9V.

Drew Wiley
3-Mar-2014, 17:11
... Oh why? Well, at something like fifteen bucks a pop for a sheet of 8x10 color film, how many shots can you risk to flare? And that's about all it takes to ruin a
reading if you're pointed into the sun. I have three Pentax spotmeters, and would really like another one. They're worth it. The Minolta Spotmeter F is another excellent tool, but a bit slower to read.

JWebb
3-Mar-2014, 17:51
Have had the solignor for over 25 years, probably 10 years ago sent it to Richard for the Zone VI modification and calibration. Still works perfectly, love the meter except in low light where the analogue display can be hard to see. Thought about upgrading but it does what I need it to do. Also have a Seconic incident meter that I'll normally use with the dslr when in the studio.