PDA

View Full Version : Graphic 6x9 roll film back

Yong-ran Zhu
2-Feb-1998, 13:39
I bought Toyo 45AX and want to use 6x9 roll film back. The Toyo back is very exp ensive ($599). I believe the Graphic 4x5 to 6x9 roll film back can be used on To yo 45 AX. Would you please let me know the quality of the the Graphic 6x9 roll f ilm holder. Thanks!

Jerry Molnar
8-Feb-1998, 00:39
There are several models of the 4x5 to 6x9 graphic backs. The older models are described as knob wind (as opposed to lever advanced) RH8 backs. The older of t he models have an opening that is 2-1/4" x 3-1/4". These backs have been known to allow a significant amount of film buckling...some people describe the variat ion to be as much as 1/16". The newer lever advance backs (and some knob advanc e backs) haave corrected the problem via the addition of 2 film rollers. You ca n identify the newer style by opening the back and looking for the 2 ploshed ste el guide rollers. As a result of adding the rollers, the opening of the newer s tyle backs is 2-1/4" x 3-1/16". The film flatmness in the early backs is unacce ptable with modern emulsions. I base my comments on something I have read from a posting by Tim Takahashi (tim@me.rochester.edu). Hope this helps.

chris hale
14-Feb-1998, 00:17
Later roll backs have larger main rollers and don't bend the film as tightly. This is the principal advantage that I can see. I have never been imp ressed that the add-on tiny rollers accomplish much. It may be more to the point to recognize that the entire film carriage floats in th e housing and is pressed forward by two steel springs on the opening back, actin g on two screw heads. Carefully (!) tighten these springs by bending **only the tips, not the middle** forward and the improvement in flatness is often amazing . Over the last 40 years many of them have fatigued and allow the film carriage to be loose against the guide rails. Look for 1/2" rollers rather than 3/8" ro llers. Interestingly, I have an old graflex factory memo that talks about count er and flatness problems in the later, lever wind backs, too. Cheers, CJH

AtlantaTerry
16-Sep-2013, 06:55
I bought Toyo 45AX and want to use 6x9 roll film back. The Toyo back is very expensive ($599). I believe the Graphic 4x5 to 6x9 roll film back can be used on Toyo 45 AX. Would you please let me know the quality of the the Graphic 6x9 roll f ilm holder. Thanks!

Are you talking about the Toyo back that slides? On one half there is a ground glass on which to compose and focus. Then you slide the film holder into place to make the exposure. In years past, I owned a Toyo Roll Film Slider and it is worth the investment. Otherwise what you have to do is compose and focus, remove the 4x5 back, replace it with the roll film back, create your photograph, then for the next photograph, remove the roll film back and replace it with the ground glass back. Quite cumbersome and not very speedy.