PDA

View Full Version : Epson 3800 question

ignatiusjk
9-Aug-2013, 11:42
I bought a new monitor several months back and I noticed something weird.When I make a color print the prints come out fine but when I make a B&W print they come out way to dark (3 stops) and way to contrasty. It seems to happen when I convert a color photo to B&W.What the heck is going on??? My new monitor is a HP 2009m. This didn't happen with my older monitor, both color and B&W came out pretty darn close to what I was seeing on the screen.I've been told it's not the monitor, if so what happen to the printer then??? Need help.

cps
9-Aug-2013, 11:53
Probably dumb question, but you calibrated the monitor, right? Otherwise sounds almost like an issue with the grey-scale inks, assuming it's not a calibration issue. Could it be those channels stopped working or something? Have you done nozzle check to make sure all the cartridges are actually doing what they are supposed to?

ignatiusjk
9-Aug-2013, 12:02
No it wasn't a dumb question.I never calbrated my first monitor either and my prints came out fine.I'm new to the whole digital thing and don't know how to calibrate my new monitor.

karl french
9-Aug-2013, 13:58
Are you using Epson's Advanced Black and White software to print?
If so do you have the fine adjustment set on Darker, Dark or Normal. I think it defaults to Darker or Dark, which always struck me as a bit odd.

Kirk Gittings
9-Aug-2013, 20:41
You absolutely have to calibrate your monitor as a starting point. It would be like developing film and not knowing the temperature of the solutions.

Light Guru
9-Aug-2013, 21:54
You absolutely have to calibrate your monitor as a starting point. It would be like developing film and not knowing the temperature of the solutions.

Great analogy!

Brian Ellis
10-Aug-2013, 06:39
You might read this and see if it contains anything useful. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml

Apart from that, you might try Quadtone RIP ("QTR") instead of the Epson driver and see if that helps. http://harrington.com/index.shtml - scroll to the bottom of the page.