PDA

View Full Version : Looking for feedback + recommendations on 8x10 film processing tanks

ScottPhotoCo
7-Aug-2013, 15:07
Good afternoon LF'ers!

I'm doing some research in preparation for purchase of some 8x10 processing tanks. I will be primarily processing x-ray film. As others have had success using tanks and I really don't have room for trays in my current situation I thought I'd consider a tank.

In my research I came across the Cescolite 3-1/2 Gallon 8 x 10" Film Developing Tank (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/13147-REG/Cescolite_CL35FT_3_1_2_Gallon_8_x.html). Has anyone had any experience with this? Good? Bad?

Other tank recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

vinny
7-Aug-2013, 19:36
That's a lot of chemicals, especially if you only have a couple sheets to do. I built my tanks from ABS and sized them to hold about 5 hangers. I made a second set to hold only two hangers. Pm me if you're interested in having a set made.

Michael Graves
8-Aug-2013, 04:49
The problem I had with deep tanks was that the stainless holders left surge marks in random places along the edges of the negative. After a while, I learned to lift the holders out very gently, drain from one corner, and repeat while draining from the other corner. Even still, I occasionally got surge marks. You can get a stacker for trays that turns your process into the three story chemical condo that would take up a lot less space on your counter.

ScottPhotoCo
8-Aug-2013, 10:12
That's a lot of chemicals, especially if you only have a couple sheets to do. I built my tanks from ABS and sized them to hold about 5 hangers. I made a second set to hold only two hangers. Pm me if you're interested in having a set made.

Thanks Vinny! Sent you a PM.

The problem I had with deep tanks was that the stainless holders left surge marks in random places along the edges of the negative. After a while, I learned to lift the holders out very gently, drain from one corner, and repeat while draining from the other corner. Even still, I occasionally got surge marks. You can get a stacker for trays that turns your process into the three story chemical condo that would take up a lot less space on your counter.

This is great info Michael. Appreciate the knowledge sharing!

Ari
8-Aug-2013, 10:16
Scott,
Vinny's idea is exactly what I was going to suggest, and it works great, using much less chemicals.
Best of luck with the processing, X-ray film is so delicate, but worth the effort.

spacegoose
14-Sep-2013, 05:11
You might also consider a printing drum by Beseler, Ilford/Cibachrome, Unicolor, etc. and motor base ... AKA poor man's JOBO.

I use an 11x14 Beseler print drum with motor base. For 2 8x10 negatives, I use 270ml chemistry. I've also done 2 at a time 8x10 RA-4 prints with the drum.

On Beseler drums (perhaps others), there are long plastic inserts and clips that hold the film in place and allow different film configurations.

I only use the inserts, you might want to make sure they are included if buying a "Color by Beseler" print drum.

Base side faces the drum wall, emulsion side faces the drum interior, to receive the chemistry - for B&W, water can be used to separate the film from the drum if it sticks. For C-41, stabilizer is usually slippery enough to allow easy removal of wet developed film (though it can be a little tricky, so is best to remove for drying immediately after stabilizing). I haven't tried E-6 in it yet.

Not sure if this would be ideal for XRAY film which I have heard has a delicate emulsion and may be double sided.

LF_rookie_to_be
14-Sep-2013, 05:44
Really, get a Jobo 3004. You'll thank yourself you did. One recently sold for $250, which is a great price. Just keep looking.

Brian Ellis
14-Sep-2013, 06:42
Different methods for developing film- tank, tray, tubes, drums, sloshers, etc. - has been discussed here many times. There should be a lot of information and suggestions in the archives but most of the time I think people end up recommending whatever method they use.

So in keeping with that tradition I'd suggest you look into the 8x10 BTZS tubes. For economy of chemicals, minimal space, ease of use, ease of developing different sheets for different times, ability to do everything in room light once the film is in the tubes, minimal inhalation of chemicals, no standing around in the dark, no scratches, and even development I found them hard to beat. I've used trays and Jobo and each has its advantages but for me the BTZS tubes had the fewest disadvantages and the most advantages. http://www.viewcamerastore.com/btzs-products/ Obviously others have made different choices and that's fine for them.

Leigh
14-Sep-2013, 11:27
I learned to lift the holders out very gently, drain from one corner, and repeat while draining from the other corner. Even still, I occasionally got surge marks.
That's way too much agitation, by a couple orders of magnitude.

You need to gently lift the hangers about 1/2" then put them back down.

The goal is to replace the liquid that's in intimate contact with the emulsion with fresh liquid.

- Leigh