PDA

View Full Version : What New Product would You Buy , . . .That is NOT made Yet?

Drew Bedo
7-Aug-2013, 09:07
What piece of Large format equipment would you buy?

Think of something you would like to see made that is not offered now. A new idea or a discontinued item . . .anything.

I will start:

From another thread here . . .I would like to see a newly designed and manufactured rangefinder in 4x5. An enlarged Bessa-II or a new Polaroid-ish 110XXX; something based on a Mamya-7 . . .or a Leica-M4 . . .or a Graflex KE4 (the so-called "combat Contax") . . .but in 4x5.

To go along with that dream camera: A plastic/alloy Grafmatic. The old ones are (well, they're OLD) heavyier than film holders and take up about the same space.

I don't bend over as easily as in the past and so another item I'd like to see would be a Pelican-type case with large-ish wheels and a set of fold out legs to bring it all up to just below waiste height.
It could be a supplimental add-on kit like the Pelican shoulder straps.

What about a digital camera/video sesnor to fit behind the lensboard. It would look backward at the dark slide for focus and TTL metering? The dark Slide would have a white reflective surface. The e-possibilities are wide and deep here. Bluetooth and iPhones apps etc.

I am sure that these ideas have some non-commercial bits in there . . .and some that are worthwhile doing.

OK: now what would YOU like to see that is not yet built?

Kirk Gittings
7-Aug-2013, 09:10
Ready load envelopes that I could reload..........

Oren Grad
7-Aug-2013, 09:14
A 5x7 Wanderlust Travelwide. :)

A 5x7 Crown with coupled RF, at no more than half the weight of a 5x7 Technika.

Tin Can
7-Aug-2013, 09:26
+1

A 5x7 Wanderlust Travelwide. :)

A 5x7 Crown with coupled RF, at no more than half the weight of a 5x7 Technika.

Vaughn
7-Aug-2013, 09:58
A nice light-weight zoom for 8x10 -- say from 150mm to 600mm. Might as well make it telescopic in nature so that the lens-to-film distance does not need to be changed when zooming.

Regular Rod
7-Aug-2013, 10:25
ILFORD Pan F Plus in 8x10 and 4x5

RR

DrTang
7-Aug-2013, 10:30
t-max in packfilm

4x5 and 5x7

that packfilm deal needs a fresh look

Sal Santamaura
7-Aug-2013, 10:34
Phillips 6-1/2 x 8-1/2 "Compact II" with matching Fidelity plastic film holders and a 225mm Apo Sironar N. Now back to reality. :D

Mark Sawyer
7-Aug-2013, 11:27
A studio stand with an old-fashioned, cast-iron bottle-opener on the side. Now that would be practical! (hmmm, I may have to make my own...)

PhotoToyo
7-Aug-2013, 11:35
I would like to see a newly designed and manufactured rangefinder in 4x5.

Perhaps a simple solution would be the Travelwide (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wanderlust/travelwide-45-camera) by Wanderlust Cameras. Their Kickstarter got funded this past May. Looks pretty simple and straightforward.

Corran
7-Aug-2013, 12:20
I agree on a rangefinder camera, with some sort of standardized helical or something to use a variety of lenses on. I know the 3-cam system has been done on the Linhof but aren't they not producing custom cams anymore? Isn't there a more elegant solution than cams for every lens?

The Wanderlust (which I have on order!) is technically not a rangefinder.

Tony Lakin
7-Aug-2013, 12:20
Combined Mini spotmeter, loupe, level and torch etc. in other words a LF photographers Swiss army knife.

Drew Wiley
7-Aug-2013, 12:24
Something that can instantly jam every cell phone camera in the world.

Oren Grad
7-Aug-2013, 12:56
I know the 3-cam system has been done on the Linhof but aren't they not producing custom cams anymore?

The factory will still cam lenses for a Technika, and per Bob Salomon, Bob Watkins will shortly be equipped to resume providing camming service within the US as well.

Corran
7-Aug-2013, 13:03
Well that's cool, good to know.

bigdog
7-Aug-2013, 14:12
I'd like to see ... a Pelican-type case with large-ish wheels and a set of fold out legs to bring it all up to just below waist height.

Oooo - I'd look into that!

gth
7-Aug-2013, 14:13

+1

Neal Chaves
7-Aug-2013, 16:28
A 4X5 Big Shot Camera set up for 210mm lens with combined range and viewfinder and masks for roll film formats.

David Lobato
7-Aug-2013, 16:41
8x10 Fujiroid (or Polaroid too)

JohnnyGator
7-Aug-2013, 17:37
A cheap plastic 617 camera using LF lenses. Something similar to the Travelwide and/or belaire 612. By cheap I mean $100-$500.

I'm actually surprised it hasn't been made yet!

Brian Sims
7-Aug-2013, 17:50
For backpackers: a combo changing bag & darkcloth. Ripstop nylon, white on the outside to reflect heat. Not for film changes in bright daylight, but just light-tight enough for changing film in the tent at night. With velcro attachments to stay on in normal wind but will release in a strong wind that might otherwise topple the camera.

Bob Salomon
7-Aug-2013, 17:56
I agree on a rangefinder camera, with some sort of standardized helical or something to use a variety of lenses on. I know the 3-cam system has been done on the Linhof but aren't they not producing custom cams anymore? Isn't there a more elegant solution than cams for every lens?

The Wanderlust (which I have on order!) is technically not a rangefinder.
On a 45 or 57 Technika the cams are individual. On a 69 Technika the am was Tri lobed

polyglot
7-Aug-2013, 18:20
* Off-the-film metering kit for flash and continuous-light exposures.
* Large-diameter (100mm+) LCD shutter for barrel lenses
* Pan-F and Delta 400 in sheets.
* programmable ND mask filter using LCD panel, for use in front of film-plane and/or in enlarger

Jody_S
7-Aug-2013, 18:31
Some means of carrying an 8x10 + tripod + a couple of lenses + film holders in a cart/wheeled camera case that is light and flexible enough to hook to my belt and walk away with, without worrying about whatever rough terrain I'm crossing. A reversed baby carriage with a single wheel, built around a Pelican case?

My shoulders hurt for a couple of days whenever I carry all of this into the woods.

Ari
7-Aug-2013, 19:20
An auto-focus, multi-format (6x6, 6x7, 6x8, 6x9 and 6x12cm), lightweight SLR using a fixed, high quality, f2.8 lens that can zoom from 45mm to 180mm also capable of 1:1 macro.

Cost? Under a thou.

Nathan Potter
7-Aug-2013, 19:33

Absolutely desirable.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Tin Can
7-Aug-2013, 19:43
+1

This seems the best idea and might happen...

Absolutely desirable.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Nathan Potter
7-Aug-2013, 19:47

Well if it was powerful enough to reach to the corners of the earth then it would fry the jammer. But a local jammer is fairly reasonable to implement at phone transmission frequencies. Of course highly illegal if unlicensed. You don't have to fry the front end of the phones - it should be adequate to just overpower the signal with white noise over a sufficiently wide bandwidth to capture all of the multiplexed subsignals in a local area. One would need something like a frequency scanning output.

More elegant would be to automatically lock on to local cell frequencies in use then transmit static at those frequencies - say within a quarter mile radius or less (thus difficult for the FCC to detect).

Tons of neat military technology to do this sort of thing.

I like your thinking Drew.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Sal Santamaura
7-Aug-2013, 21:08
Something that can instantly jam every cell phone camera in the world.Why limit it to the camera function?

...a local jammer is fairly reasonable to implement at phone transmission frequencies...Tons of neat military technology to do this sort of thing...Too complex and too much distributed equipment needed. I say go for a simple EMP. That would shut everything down. :D

Tin Can
7-Aug-2013, 21:15
Not me I live in a Faraday cage.

My dream, http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/doomsday-castle/?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=EMP&utm_campaign=B_Doomsday_Castle_NB&utm_term=what%20is%20emp

Why limit it to the camera function?

Too complex and too much distributed equipment needed. I say go for a simple EMP. That would shut everything down. :D

Kodachrome25
7-Aug-2013, 21:18
+1

This seems the best idea and might happen...

++1, anything to reduce pre-exposure dust man.....an-y-thing......

Otto Seaman
7-Aug-2013, 21:52
An iPhone app that controlled the iPhone camera so it behaved exactly like your film stock, giving you a preview and histogram, along with predictive filter effects, flash metering, and simulated depth of field. Either shoot freehand or off the ground glass.

Also with a proton ray that would goose tight-a$$ed know-it-all blowhards.

Another idea would be for compact, lightweight, friction controlled standards and a small Arca-sized rail that would take common and inexpensive Sinar frames and components. This would create a light, compact, and inexpensive systematic field camera in 4x5 to 8x10.

StoneNYC
7-Aug-2013, 22:13
Something based on a Mamya-7 ...but in 4x5.

Yes!! +1

+1

+1 +1 +1!!!!

Combined Mini spotmeter, loupe, level and torch etc. in other words a LF photographers Swiss army knife.

+1 but I would make the "torch" flashlight a red filtered light so you don't lose your night vision. And add a timer, measuring tape, and a pencil/eraser.

8x10 Fujiroid (or Polaroid too)

TIP (The Impossible Project) makes this currently in B&W ... Use the old Polaroid processors too.

For backpackers: a combo changing bag & darkcloth.

I've wondered why this doesn't exist it seems pretty obvious.

Also I like the pelican case idea, they actually make circular saw tables with this feature so you could probably rig this onto a pelican case. Wouldn't be quite as compact but is possible.

Trying to think of an original idea, not experienced enough to come up with one except that it would be nice if LF cameras had built in bellows extension charts into the body (somehow) similar to the RZ67 body, I know it's more complex than that but would be nice.

Kirk Fry
7-Aug-2013, 22:34
4x5 tech pan. Get Kodak to run one batch and make 35 120 and 4x5 from it.

Maris Rusis
7-Aug-2013, 23:49
A very fast film like Delta 3200 in 4x5 and 8x10 sheets. Grain, sharpness, and gradation worries are largely irrelevant in large format work but the inability to combine fast shutter speeds and small apertures mean compromises in camera movement control, subject movement control, and depth of field.

StoneNYC
8-Aug-2013, 01:04
A very fast film like Delta 3200 in 4x5 and 8x10 sheets. Grain, sharpness, and gradation worries are largely irrelevant in large format work but the inability to combine fast shutter speeds and small apertures mean compromises in camera movement control, subject movement control, and depth of field.

I think it's storage life, but I agree, it would be nice...

Jim Cole
8-Aug-2013, 06:01
A lens iris with a built in shutter which would fit in a 4x5 technica style standard, that would allow me to use all my shutterless brass lenses.

Ironage
8-Aug-2013, 06:20
A timer solar contact printing alternate processes. It would measure the light during the exposure and compensate for clouds, sun angle automatically. Maybe this could be a iPod App.

jp
8-Aug-2013, 07:58
A lens iris with a built in shutter which would fit in a 4x5 technica style standard, that would allow me to use all my shutterless brass lenses.

If the diameter is big enough, you can get a copal 3 or 3s shutter for the purpose. They are often available inexpensively connected to obscure undesirable lenses. I use a speed graphic.

jp
8-Aug-2013, 08:00
A timer solar contact printing alternate processes. It would measure the light during the exposure and compensate for clouds, sun angle automatically. Maybe this could be a iPod App.

That would be cool. The handheld device could sit out with the printing frame (same angle and light) and just measure incident light every 30 seconds and keep some cumulative information. Should be easy to someone who understands light meters and programming.

D-tach
8-Aug-2013, 08:09

:):)

jp
8-Aug-2013, 08:31

RR

That would be a nice film... FP4+ isn't slow enough when I'm shooting in bright summer sunlight with soft focus lenses that demand certain wider apertures. Probably even less likely to happen, but if there were a "tmax 32" that might be exciting and shut up the tech pan wistful. Give it some acros spectral sensitivity, and it'd be a good blend of the three.

I shot a sheet of 8x10 a few weeks ago with the kodak portrait outside and the ilex5 only goes up to 1/50 so I had a red filter AND a ND filter to bring things into correct exposure. I regularly shoot FP4+ with a verito at f4.5 that meters 1/1000 sec; which is just do-able with my speed graphic. Most people don't have that sort of speed available. I like tmy2 film, but it's not suited to anything brighter than f8 in bright summer daylight; but summers are short, so it's not a problem during other parts of the year.

With how poorly film holders sell, I don't see a new grafmatic being commercially successful.

I'd like more options for daylight developing 8x10 film. Jobo and btzs tubes are it basically?

How bout a flash that mostly puts out UV (for the wet platers)? Should be a simple tube change to existing popular strobes.

How about bellows that have a kevlar fabric outer layer; that should stop any accidental damage short of picking up the camera by it's bellows.

Some cheap 5x7 cameras would keep that format financially healthy; it's not much bigger gear than 4x5 and a nice aspect ratio.

I've thought about building it, but I don't have time for the programming.. I'd like an open source enlarger controller that keeps track of (via a database) all my enlarger use; time, aperture, image, magnification, contrast adjustment. So I wouldn't have to keep notes on what I did to make certain prints. What it didn't control or capture, I'd be expected to enter in with dropdown menus or buttons as I worked. A webcam could correlate the settings with the projected image and I'd be able to go back through my enlarger history just like a browser history.

koh303
8-Aug-2013, 09:27
I'd like more options for daylight developing 8x10 film. Jobo and btzs tubes are it basically?

Just hold on to your breath - we are working on something.... (q3 or q4 of 2013).

DrTang
8-Aug-2013, 09:39
A 4X5 Big Shot Camera set up for 210mm lens with combined range and viewfinder and masks for roll film formats.

something along the lines of....oh...

it's a 127 on it ...but because of the front bellows - a 210 would work just as well

StoneNYC
8-Aug-2013, 11:00
Just hold on to your breath - we are working on something.... (q3 or q4 of 2013).

The MOD810 (or 108 for you confused English folks hehe)
Would fit in the 5 reel Paterson tank :)

I noticed the MOD5x4 second version actually also takes the 2.25x3.25 size sheet film (or whatever the size is, did anyone notice that?)

Arne Croell
8-Aug-2013, 12:25
+1

Actually, any Readyload/Quickload film, even if not reloadable.

koh303
8-Aug-2013, 12:45
The MOD810 (or 108 for you confused English folks hehe) Would fit in the 5 reel Paterson tank :)

I can't say much more - just keep your eyes peeled :)

Jim Cole
8-Aug-2013, 16:39
If the diameter is big enough, you can get a copal 3 or 3s shutter for the purpose. They are often available inexpensively connected to obscure undesirable lenses. I use a speed graphic.

JP,

Are you suggesting combining a Copal 3 with a lens iris somehow? Not sure how that would work.

Regular Rod
8-Aug-2013, 16:56
A simple dry film holder for 8x10 to use on EPSON V700 so that there was no need to lay the film on the glass.

RR

Steve Goldstein
8-Aug-2013, 17:13
A MOD75 (5x7) would be a lovely thing, as would a version for wholeplate. Of course, the market for either of those, especially WP, is much more limited that for 4x5 or probably even 8x10.

Tin Can
8-Aug-2013, 17:27
You mean a film stretcher, like Saltzman, Beseler had as glassless 8x10 enlarger film carriers?

That may be fairly easy to make. But the market is tiny and I would want 5x7 and others would want WP.

We could make them and most likely sell a handful at $1000 each, but that price makes the market even smaller.

Perhaps we should chose doable projects and pool our resources.

Reusable quick load envelopes seems very popular.

A simple dry film holder for 8x10 to use on EPSON V700 so that there was no need to lay the film on the glass.

RR

Jac@stafford.net
8-Aug-2013, 18:21
Randy, I think we could make an 8x10" 'stretcher' for a scanner, if we could fix the focal plane. It is something to put in the back of our mind to work on over time.

I do use such a holder for 4x5" enlarging. It is one that does not puncture the film but on the scanner it puts the film out too far.

StoneNYC
8-Aug-2013, 18:26
You mean a film stretcher, like Saltzman, Beseler had as glassless 8x10 enlarger film carriers?

That may be fairly easy to make. But the market is tiny and I would want 5x7 and others would want WP.

We could make them and most likely sell a handful at $1000 each, but that price makes the market even smaller.

Perhaps we should chose doable projects and pool our resources.

Reusable quick load envelopes seems very popular.

Problem is once you buy them, that's it, you don't need more, and your profit drops off quickly.

ROL
8-Aug-2013, 19:47
100 year knees.

Kirk Gittings
9-Aug-2013, 13:59

Grain on that film in 4x5 would not be irrelevant. Heck Tri-X is too grainy for me in 4x5 at 16x20.

Drew Wiley
9-Aug-2013, 15:21
Film stretcher?? Ha. Does that mean you can make 8x10 film from 4x5 to save money? Wide angle lenses already seem to do a pretty good job stretching and
distorting the image. We'd need a new kind of film base, something Rubbermaid could supply.

Kirk Gittings
9-Aug-2013, 15:24
In my late teens I worked at a lumber mill. On my second day they sent me looking fora lumber stretcher...........

vinny
9-Aug-2013, 15:47
In my late teens I worked at a lumber mill. On my second day they sent me looking fora lumber stretcher...........

Yeah, they usually keep those next to the bucket of steam. My dad once told a client we couldn't get the lumber we needed that day because the lumber yard was closed in obvervance of Paul Bunyon's birthday, just so we could go fishing.

Drew Wiley
9-Aug-2013, 15:52
We still do that here, Kirk. But it mainly happens to annoying helpers of contractors sent in with a note, "left hand monkey wrench, metric crescent wrench, need
2x6's stretched into 2x4's, etc"...The hazing still goes on. But I personally have more fun when I bamboozle some CEO or MBA who thinks he's hot stuff, but in reality is an inexperienced idiot. These guys are always accompanied by the rank and file standing behind him who do their best to contain a well-deserved laugh at his expense. But coming from cowboy & Indian culture this pales to the pranks of rural culture at the expense of urban "dudes" and "flatlanders". No doubt you saw similar things in the Southwest.

Lachlan 717
9-Aug-2013, 17:01
Velvia 50 in 7x17".

Lachlan 717
9-Aug-2013, 17:05

RR

It needs to be on the glass as the 8x10 option can only use the low res lens (i.e. the one that's focused on glass level). AFAIK, the high res lens doesn't have the scanning width for 8x10.

StoneNYC
9-Aug-2013, 18:09
We still do that here, Kirk. But it mainly happens to annoying helpers of contractors sent in with a note, "left hand monkey wrench, metric crescent wrench, need
2x6's stretched into 2x4's, etc"...The hazing still goes on. But I personally have more fun when I bamboozle some CEO or MBA who thinks he's hot stuff, but in reality is an inexperienced idiot. These guys are always accompanied by the rank and file standing behind him who do their best to contain a well-deserved laugh at his expense. But coming from cowboy & Indian culture this pales to the pranks of rural culture at the expense of urban "dudes" and "flatlanders". No doubt you saw similar things in the Southwest.

Flatlander... Hmm are you from Maine or Vermont?

StoneNYC
9-Aug-2013, 18:11
It needs to be on the glass as the 8x10 option can only use the low res lens (i.e. the one that's focused on glass level). AFAIK, the high res lens doesn't have the scanning width for 8x10.

At what size does this change? This gets me curios as I have the v750 with the two lenses and I thought only 35mm could be done with the "good" lens... Lol, please educate me

Lachlan 717
9-Aug-2013, 18:23
At what size does this change? This gets me curios as I have the v750 with the two lenses and I thought only 35mm could be done with the "good" lens... Lol, please educate me

You can do up to (at least) 4x5 with the high res lens. Any of the holders that raise the film above the glass give you this access. I have a feeling that it will cover around 7", but I have not tested that. This would require a custom holder, though.

Tin Can
9-Aug-2013, 18:29
Well if it does two 4x5 with the high rez lens, that is an area bigger than 5 x 8. Seems we need to fool Epson with a 5x7 with the penny lift and AN glass. Maybe a mask with the 4 dot pattern of the 4x5 holder.

You can do up to (at least) 4x5 with the high res lens. Any of the holders that raise the film above the glass give you this access. I have a feeling that it will cover around 7", but I have not tested that. This would require a custom holder, though.

Lachlan 717
9-Aug-2013, 18:40
I've been meaning to test it without any of the dots present in the hope that it gives a "whole field" scan. This would allow me to high res scan 7x17 (two sections and stitch).

Tin Can
9-Aug-2013, 18:42
That would be great, let us know!

I've been meaning to test it without any of the dots present in the hope that it gives a "whole field" scan. This would allow me to high res scan 7x17 (two sections and stitch).

StoneNYC
9-Aug-2013, 18:49

But the 8x10 glass holder also raises the film above the base glass...

StoneNYC
9-Aug-2013, 18:51
I use the 8x10 glass for things 116/70mm and 127 placed under some ANR glass for preventing curl... So does this mean those scans are from the bad lens?

Tin Can
9-Aug-2013, 18:59
I have the 700 and the 8x10 mask is just that a mask with no elevation, No holes and it is named right on it as a 'Film area guide'

I have been putting 5x7 and 8x10 under a piece of 8x10 AN and my scans look as good as my bad images...

Sergei, I think says 8 pennies and tape the negative to the bottom of the AN, we have been talking about this in X Ray.

Lachlan 717
9-Aug-2013, 19:01
But the 8x10 glass holder also raises the film above the base glass...

I'm not sure what you're referring to with this, as mine has a plastic sheet with the centre cut out. The sheet then fits inside this, laying flat on the scanner's glass.

Lachlan 717
9-Aug-2013, 19:02
I use the 8x10 glass for things 116/70mm and 127 placed under some ANR glass for preventing curl... So does this mean those scans are from the bad lens?

No; from the "less good" glass!!

Tin Can
9-Aug-2013, 19:02
My 700 same same.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with this, as mine has a plastic sheet with the centre cut out. The sheet then fits inside this, laying flat on the scanner's glass.

John Kasaian
9-Aug-2013, 19:24
A power line, dumb sign and garbage can filter.

vinny
9-Aug-2013, 19:28
You clowns are doing a great job of derailing yet another thread.

John, is that for adding or taking away those items?:)

StoneNYC
9-Aug-2013, 23:34

The V-750 has a wet scan accessory, that's what I'm talking about. It's a piece of 8x10 glass in a frame, I also have the film area guide, I never knew what that was even for lol.

StoneNYC
9-Aug-2013, 23:40
You clowns are doing a great job of derailing yet another thread.

John, is that for adding or taking away those items?:)

Chill man, this is a discussion board, if people just listed stuff with no discussion at all, it would be a pretty boring and useless site. We'll get back on track soon enough, I don't think a slight derailment in a normal conversation is abnormal, if we were all on a room hanging out, and someone said, "tell me about your dream film object" and one guy mentioned a scanner, and another guy said "oh that reminds me I can't figure this out, does anyone know how to work this?" The other guys aren't going to say "shut up that's not what we're talking about, you can only talk about your dean film object in this house" it's a pretty limited mind scope and isn't realistic in the real world...

Anyway, I would like an interactive photo-encyclopedia galactica :) then I would have all the answers and you guys wouldn't have to deal with me anymore :munch:

koh303
10-Aug-2013, 05:26
...it would be a pretty boring and useless site.

Whoaaa, what are you trying to say?

Thomas Greutmann
10-Aug-2013, 06:00
An affordable 4x5 digital back with 100 to 150 Megapixels, for B&W, for field use (no tethering needed)

Otto Seaman
10-Aug-2013, 06:17
An affordable 4x5 digital back with 100 to 150 Megapixels, for B&W, for field use (no tethering needed)

That could be handheld, compact, inexpensive, and use a wide range of auto- focus lenses....

Ari
10-Aug-2013, 06:32
A power line, dumb sign and garbage can filter.

I would gladly pay for such a filter.

koh303
10-Aug-2013, 06:58
I would gladly pay for such a filter.

That's been around for a long time now. It's called "photo-shoppe", as seen here:
http://krifartida.blogspot.com/2011/07/best-photoshop-work-yet.html

John Kasaian
13-Aug-2013, 11:28
A teleporter, to permit me to retrieve the 12x20 from home, shoot with it, then teleport it back :cool:

Drew Wiley
13-Aug-2013, 12:16
I thought the whole idea behind Photoshop is that you can ADD beer cans, old tires, outhouses, etc, and therefore make otherwise pristine landscapes socially and
artistically relevant.

rustyair
13-Aug-2013, 19:08
Chemical for all B&W, Color Negative and Positive.

Drew Bedo
14-Aug-2013, 08:18
Won't nail polish remover will disolve all estar based films?

Drew Bedo
14-Aug-2013, 08:20
A teleporter, to permit me to retrieve the 12x20 from home, shoot with it, then teleport it back :cool:

I'd rather have a time machine so I could still have every camera that I now regret eever selling.

C'mon everybody . . .lets get back to REAL stuff. What do-dad, bag feature or attachment would you like to see made?

Jac@stafford.net
14-Aug-2013, 09:02
IC'mon everybody . . .lets get back to REAL stuff. What do-dad, bag feature or attachment would you like to see made?

A wireless cable-release. I know of some DIY approaches but I'm an idiot with electricity, wiring.
This is one (http://handya.co.nz/post/43777800968/wireless-remote-for-fuji-x100-camera-or-leica), but I am not confident I could build it.

TGR Laguna
14-Aug-2013, 09:17
A multi-coated light weight (240g+/-) wide angle (80mm-90mm) razor sharp lens with a 52mm front filter thread.

Tin Can
14-Aug-2013, 09:48
Jac, that wireless remote is not that difficult, but I doubt it will do what I want, which is press an Ilex 5 shutter release.

The servo and linkage look flimsy to me. Perhaps RC airplane parts would be easier to configure with a HD stepping motor or solenoid.

Try a real hobby shop.

A wireless cable-release. I know of some DIY approaches but I'm an idiot with electricity, wiring.
This is one (http://handya.co.nz/post/43777800968/wireless-remote-for-fuji-x100-camera-or-leica), but I am not confident I could build it.

Drew Bedo
14-Aug-2013, 11:00
Is there a way to hook up a mechanical shutter to a wireless flash system (Pocket Wizard)?

Corran
14-Aug-2013, 12:51
I do it with simple radio triggers that cost a few bucks on eBay. Just a PC to 3.5mm cord for my setup. Should be as simple as can be, as long as the trigger has an input port and doesn't rely on a hot-shoe (just get a hot-shoe adapter then).

EDIT: I guess you are talking about the other way around. My bad.

Drew Bedo
14-Aug-2013, 17:37
Let me try to be explicit:

I use typical large format shutters, mostly Copal,with PC flash synch connections.

Is it possible to hook up these shutters to trigger a set of strobes using a Pocket Wizard wireless system?

A second question: How may I remotely trigger these copal shutters to make an exposure with a wireless remote control?

Daniel Stone
14-Aug-2013, 18:03
Let me try to be explicit:

I use typical large format shutters, mostly Copal,with PC flash synch connections.

Is it possible to hook up these shutters to trigger a set of strobes using a Pocket Wizard wireless system? YES. I do it all the time.

A second question: How may I remotely trigger these copal shutters to make an exposure with a wireless remote control? To actuate a MECHANICAL shutter(copal/comput, etc.) you'll need to create something that can trip the shutter's release arm. I don't know of any commercially made product for doing so. Wirelessly/electronically, I'd imagine wiring in a pocketwizard would be possible with electronic/digital-type shutters.

I have a few of these in my pocketwizard/lighting kit:

PC-->mini(pw jack)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/131298-REG/PocketWizard_804_301_PC_1_Miniphone_to_PC.html

bi-post --> household(pw jack)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40154-REG/Paramount_PM11S_Bi_Post_Graflex_to_Household.html

the above bi-post -->household adapter I use in conjunction with this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40165-REG/Paramount_PM21S_2_1S_12_Straight_Sync.html

-Dan

jeroldharter
14-Aug-2013, 20:01
Re-loadable 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 Readiload film holders
8x10 VC LED enlarger light source that is affordable
Ultra-light tripod head for an 8x10 camera (my tripod head weighs as much as the tripod)
Reasonably priced 11x14 tray warmer
Wide mouth Jobo 3000 series lid for those who use the drums without the processor

Jac@stafford.net
15-Aug-2013, 03:34
Ultra-light tripod head for an 8x10 camera (my tripod head weighs as much as the tripod)

Ries heads like this (http://www.riestripod.com/products/heads) are light and perfectly useful.

Steve Goldstein
15-Aug-2013, 03:47
Reasonably priced 11x14 tray warmer

I use a kennel-warmer made by Kane Manufacturing, the dimensions of the top are 17x43 inches with a small lip all the way around on the bottom. It can fit four 8x10 or 3 11x14 trays - I was just doing 11x14s a couple of days ago. I run it on a small Variac, otherwise it gets too hot. Control is by monitoring a small thermometer that sits on the bottom of the developer tray. It's low-tech, but gets the job done.

I think the mat cost around $60 some years ago. I got the Variac from Mouser or Digikey. It's 300VA and was about the smallest one I could find, but has more than enough oomph to run the Kane mat, which only requires about 50% capacity to maintain temp in my darkroom. The mat sits on a piece of 3/4" plywood, which prevents heat loss out the bottom.

jp
15-Aug-2013, 06:00
An epson v7xx scanner that isn't a static dust magnet. I swear this thing gets dustier than a tube tv. The plastic construction and flat surfaces attracts dust, and lifting the lid creates an air flow that draws dust onto the bed or negative.

Steve Goldstein
15-Aug-2013, 06:07
Here's a link to the Kane Pet-Warmer mat I use.

https://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=3690299&showprevnext=1

It's $150 these days. Or you can get what is apparently the identical mat for a little bit less under the name "Baby Pig Heat Mat"

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=3690780&showprevnext=1

They also have smaller (and larger) ones, and you can get models with thermostats too. I chose the Variac route so I could monitor the actual chemical temperature, plus it was cheaper IIRC. I've used this setup for over 10 years.

D-tach
15-Aug-2013, 08:06
An epson v7xx scanner that isn't a static dust magnet. I swear this thing gets dustier than a tube tv. The plastic construction and flat surfaces attracts dust, and lifting the lid creates an air flow that draws dust onto the bed or negative.

+1 and with optical mounting whiping the airbubbles from underneath the optical mylar changes it into a real vacuumcleaner :-/ I must say the combination of a Wacom tablet and the Content Aware Healing Brush in Photoshop works pretty fast.
How does one deal with dust in wet printing? :eek:

jnantz
15-Aug-2013, 08:25
a dehydrated liquid emulsion so you just add water and make it ...

Tin Can
15-Aug-2013, 08:39
+1

a dehydrated liquid emulsion so you just add water and make it ...

Drew Wiley
15-Aug-2013, 10:23
I know who makes that.... it's the same people who make dehydrated water, which I sent beginner backpackers to REI for all the time, when they start complaining
about the weight of their pack.

goamules
15-Aug-2013, 10:40
A full-frame (35mm emulating) digital camera that is mirrorless. IF it isn't ungodly expensive like Leica products are.

unixrevolution
15-Aug-2013, 11:05

I agree. I've been meaning to see what the push characteristics of HP5 are in larger formats. I'm told you can push that stuff up to ISO 6400 with few ill effects, and 1600-3200 are peachy. I've shot it myself at 1600 and 3200 and I like how it looks.

+1, clip-on or other such shutters for the big brass lenses that have speeds other than 1/25 or Bulb would be nice.

Personally, I want focal plane 8x10 shutters and/or a new, revolving back, TTL aperture-priority Autoexposure focal-plane shuttered 4x5 RF or SLR with automatic diaphragm control. Make 4x5 a *real* handholdable format for decisive moment photography.

David Lobato
15-Aug-2013, 17:03
A compact electronic detector to warn me when an insect or mosquito is buzzing around inside the bellows.

kirkmacatangay
15-Aug-2013, 17:42
A way to work the high speed flash trick for dslrs on a speed graflex shutter.

Kirk

StoneNYC
15-Aug-2013, 23:03
A way to work the high speed flash trick for dslrs on a speed graflex shutter.

Kirk

I've often thought about this, Mamiya ya a double cable release where one appears to be slightly shorter than the other, if you had a second shutter, trigger, and light, you could have a first shutter fire the first strobe and a second fire the second but only use one of the shutters for taking, so your burst would effectively be drawn out longer emulating the high speed sync feature. Never tested it though.

Corran
16-Aug-2013, 08:39
Speaking of Speed Graphic shutters...

How about a new FP shutter that attaches via a Graflok back? Would be some kind of slight extension back with it's own GG and film loading, so it would replace the existing back on any standard camera w/ Graflok tabs. Should be doable with only a slight increase in extension.

Tin Can
16-Aug-2013, 08:47
New FP and large shutters will be Photo-electric glass (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10243401/Smart-glass-may-mean-it-is-curtains-for-window-blinds.html) not mechanical.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-08/15/smart-windows

Speaking of Speed Graphic shutters...

How about a new FP shutter that attaches via a Graflok back? Would be some kind of slight extension back with it's own GG and film loading, so it would replace the existing back on any standard camera w/ Graflok tabs. Should be doable with only a slight increase in extension.

Corran
16-Aug-2013, 11:02
I've seen that tech, very cool. Wasn't there an issue, that it's likely not "100%" lightproof?

Tin Can
16-Aug-2013, 11:11
Details, I am sure it will improve. The second link is spray on.

We could make the GG a shutter.

I've seen that tech, very cool. Wasn't there an issue, that it's likely not "100%" lightproof?

Jac@stafford.net
17-Aug-2013, 07:31
How about a new FP shutter that attaches via a Graflok back?

Linhof once made such a thing, but discontinued it because it was not as robust as they wished.

Read more of it on this very site. (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?77458-Linhof-Technika-Focal-Plane-Shutter)

Bill Burk
17-Aug-2013, 07:36
Drew, I could have bought you some cans of that dehydrated water - they were selling it at summer camp for a joke. They were pretty big cans too, could make a stove out of it when you were finished.

You could send them down to get some concentrated water, Aquamira

Corran
17-Aug-2013, 15:42
Linhof once made such a thing, but discontinued it because it was not as robust as they wished.

Read more of it on this very site. (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?77458-Linhof-Technika-Focal-Plane-Shutter)

Neat! Thanks for the information.

Bob Salomon
17-Aug-2013, 16:56
Neat! Thanks for the information.

And it did not fit to a Graflok back. It replaced the entire back on the 45 Technika which was then mounted to the back of the FP shutter.

neil poulsen
18-Aug-2013, 06:53
NPS 4x5 color negative film.

Drew Bedo
18-Aug-2013, 07:23
What about a lower-end P&S digital with a 3x4 inch printer. In use at a party it would function like a polaroid One-With no memory to speak of, each image would be an artifact . . .much like the Polaroid prints were.Step.

Ok . . .now I've thought it out a little . . .never mind.

kirkmacatangay
18-Aug-2013, 21:09
A daylight tray processor with a multilayer rubylith cover to allow development by inspection for ULF xray/ortho lith film. Maybe an attachable changing bag.

Kirk

Daniel Stone
18-Aug-2013, 22:57

Neil,

you can get 160NS from Japan Exposures:

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=154

definitely not "cheap", but as we all know: 'Ya gotta pay to play' ;)

-Dan

jb7
19-Aug-2013, 02:48
Well it isn't made yet-

A 5kg 11x17 camera that shoots 11x14 and 7x17 without reducing backs, and takes reloadable packet film holders at 400g each. Camera, lens, 5 holders and tripod at under 10kg.

Carsten Wolff
19-Aug-2013, 03:33
A Copal #2, if no-one has mentioned that yet.
Perhaps electric shutters that work.
A new Cooke VIIB Wide equivalent with, say, 52mm filter threads (or ANY modern threads) in at least 108 and 158mm, for a sane price.
Cheap, (flush 77mm, or step-up 86mm) filter adapters for the 15" Wollensak Tele (fanciful, I know).
A Packard shutter with more than one speed :) (say: 1/60, 1/15, 1/4 and B) and with perhaps lensboard/standard adapters.

Sal Santamaura
19-Aug-2013, 08:01

Neil,

you can get 160NS from Japan Exposures:

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=154...Dan, you linked to NS, not NPS. NPS is a discontinued Fuji color negative film.

If Neil was specifically lamenting the older film's discontinuation, Dirk's Web shop is of no help. If instead Neil simply wants the current NS film, you've probably just given him a sharp pain in his wallet. :D