PDA

View Full Version : Epson V750 + which Software; OSx

gmfotografie
6-Aug-2013, 01:13
hi my friends, i want ot buy an epson v750 for scanning mf and lf negatives and positives.

i can order v750 with silverfast 6 or 8.
there is also the possibility of using vuescan?!

can i use vuescan also with the v750 silverfast6 package or it is locked for silverfast?

i have an imac 2009; with mountain lion, newest version; osx.

which hardware package should i buy?

best michael

Ken Lee
6-Aug-2013, 04:00
I prefer the Epson software.

mpirie
6-Aug-2013, 04:33
I prefer the Epson software too for a quick reference scan.

Silverfast is locked to the type of scanner, whereas VueScan is not locked as far as I know.

gmfotografie
6-Aug-2013, 05:32
the epson software is neither silverfast nor vuescan, is it right?

Brian Ellis
6-Aug-2013, 05:56
Right, the Epson software isn't Vuescan or Silverfast. Epson software is simpler to use than Silverfast and Vuescan but doesn't give you as many options and controls as both of them do (I've used all three). All three have their good points and bad points, it's just a matter of which suits your needs best. I found that Epson software did all I needed so I've stopped using the other two but that may not be the case for you.

"can i use vuescan also with the v750 silverfast6 package or it is locked for silverfast?"

If by "locked for Silverfast" you mean is Silverfast the only software package you can use with it, the answer is no. Unless Macs are different from the PC I use you could load both and use one or the other. Or you could just remove the one you don't want.

I think that what mpirie above means is that if you change scanners you can continue using Vuescan at no cost whereas Silverfast is designed for specific scanner models and if you change scanners you have to buy Silverfast again (at least that was how things were the last time I checked, which was several years ago - someone who's more current than I am can correct me if I'm wrong).

Ken Lee
6-Aug-2013, 05:58
When you purchase the scanner, you get scanner software written by Epson for that scanner. If you purchase the 700, that's all you get. If you purchase the 750, for the extra money they give you a copy of Silverfast. If you like, you can purchase Vuescan separately.

Having used all 3, some people (myself included) prefer the Epson software.

SergeiR
6-Aug-2013, 06:09
When you purchase the scanner, you get scanner software written by Epson for that scanner. If you purchase the 700, that's all you get. If you purchase the 750, for the extra money they give you a copy of Silverfast. If you like, you can purchase Vuescan separately.

Having used all 3, some people (myself included) prefer the Epson software.

Nope. You get Silverfast with V700 too.

Not that i like to use it, but, its there.

pasiasty
6-Aug-2013, 06:19

But it is somehow limited version, isn't it?

Ayway, VueScan runs with V700/V750 well. Comparing to Silverfast, which I wasn't even able to start after installation (on Windows), it had relatively few problems with it.
Main reason why I've switched from Epson software is possibility to save 'raw' data, so I'm able to automate scanning process and to leave playing with curves and histograms until the next step. But it's not the most ergonomic piece of software I've ever seen...

SergeiR
6-Aug-2013, 06:32
But it is somehow limited version, isn't it?

nope. Fully upgradeable for future releases & etc.

But i never managed to get it to work fast enough and satisfactory enough. So i am using Vuescan :)

Ken Lee
6-Aug-2013, 07:48

You are right - Thanks for the correction.

700:

Epson Perfection V700 Photo scanner - with DIGITAL ICE technology
8" x 10" transparency unit (built into lid)
Four film holders: 35mm negatives, 35mm slides, medium format and 4" x 5"
8" x 10" Film Area Guide
CD-ROM with Epson Scan software and productivity applications
DVD-ROM with Adobe® Photoshop® Elements
CD-ROM with LaserSoft Imaging™ SilverFast® SE6
Hi-Speed USB 2.0 cable
Epson Setup Sheet
AC adapter and power cable

750:

Epson Perfection V750-M Pro scanner - with Digital ICE Technologies
8" x 10" Transparency Unit (built into lid)
Fluid mount accessory (scanning fluid and supplies not included)
Four film holder: 35mm negatives, 35mm slides, medium format and 4" x 5"
8" x 10" Film Area Guide
CD-ROM with Epson Scan software and productivity applications
DVD-ROM with Adobe® Photoshop® Elements
CD-ROM with LaserSoft Imaging™ SilverFast® Ai 6
MonacoEZcolor™
Hi-Speed USB 2.0 cable
Epson Setup Sheet
AC adapter and power cable

Leigh
6-Aug-2013, 09:59
I use the native Epson software with my V-750. Running OS X on a MacBook Pro.

Note that the V-700 and V-750 are not the same machine when it comes to high-resolution scans.
The V-750 uses a separate optical system in this mode. That system does not exist on the V-700.

- Leigh

gmfotografie
6-Aug-2013, 10:03
i'm confused:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000J4P82W/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=197J45C5A0AZ2869WXZV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463375173&pf_rd_i=301128

in this package silverfast is included.
i'm right that with this offer i can use the scanner with epsonsoft. and as an alternative the silverfast software?

best michael

Leigh
6-Aug-2013, 10:08
i'm confused:
You need to ask the seller.

- Leigh

Light Guru
6-Aug-2013, 10:15
i'm confused:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000J4P82W/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=197J45C5A0AZ2869WXZV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463375173&pf_rd_i=301128

i'm right that with this offer i can use the scanner with epsonsoft. and as an alternative the silverfast software?

The Epson software is Called Epson Scan not epsonsoft. And you can ALWAYS use the epson scan software with a epson scanner.

Ken Lee
6-Aug-2013, 10:26

Note that the V-700 and V-750 are not the same machine when it comes to high-resolution scans.
The V-750 uses a separate optical system in this mode. That system does not exist on the V-700.

- Leigh

A quick web search is confusing on this matter. Some sites describe the difference as one of lens coatings. Others say the only difference is the bundled software.

Has anyone performed any comparison scans with both machines ?

Mark Stahlke
6-Aug-2013, 10:33

- Leigh

Leigh, what are you talking about?
My V700 says "Dual Lens System" right there on the front. What system does the V750 have that the V700 doesn't?

Leigh
6-Aug-2013, 10:36
Leigh, what are you talking about?
My V700 says "Dual Lens System" right there on the front. What system does the V750 have that the V700 doesn't?
When I bought my V-750 a couple of years ago, the dual-lens configuration was only available on the 750, not the 700.
Perhaps they've upgraded the 700 since.

- Leigh

Mark Stahlke
6-Aug-2013, 10:47
A quick web search is confusing on this matter. Some sites describe the difference as one of lens coatings. Others say the only difference is the bundled software.

Epson's web site shows three differences in the "Key Features" section. They list these three things for the V750 but not the V700:

Faster scans with High-Pass Optics — offers the highest level of image quality with anti-reflective optical coatings and a high-reflection mirror
Fluid mount capabilities — a first in flatbed scanners, effectively removes scratches and reduces grain from black-and-white negatives
Do more with your film and photos — includes professional software titles for added versatility and control

GSX4
6-Aug-2013, 12:19
I have an Epson 750 and use vuescan for doing print scans, epson scan for tintypes, and silverfast for film scanning.

Ken Lee
6-Aug-2013, 12:50
My Epson 700 also says "Dual Lens System" on the front.

gmfotografie
6-Aug-2013, 13:16
i've ordered the scanner and will let you know

thx for help

Doug Fisher
7-Aug-2013, 06:26
The V700 has always had the dual lens system. Ken, I have yet to see a well controlled experiment comparing the output from the two scanners that shows an appreciable difference in sharpness. That doesn't mean there isn't a difference but I have yet to see an example of it.

Doug

Ken Lee
7-Aug-2013, 08:42
Thanks Doug. :)

sanking
7-Aug-2013, 12:05
The V700 has always had the dual lens system. Ken, I have yet to see a well controlled experiment comparing the output from the two scanners that shows an appreciable difference in sharpness. That doesn't mean there isn't a difference but I have yet to see an example of it.

Doug

That is correct, even the very first V700 scanners had the dual lens system.

When using the Epson scanning software the lenses will switch, with an audible sound, when you change from Film Area Guide to Film Holder, or vice-versa.

There is a significant difference in sharpness between the two lenses so it makes sense to always use Film Holder if your negative is not too large to be scanned in this area.

Sandy