PDA

View Full Version : Getting film out of BTZS tubes

mijosc
4-Aug-2013, 10:47
Does anybody have any tips for getting wet film out of the BTZS Tubes? I've tried leaving a bit of film over the top of the opening, but that still doesn't help. I just can't get a grip of the wet slippery film. A few times I've gouged the emulsion by accidentally jabbing one of the corners into the film. I'm about ready to give up and try a different method.

Corran
4-Aug-2013, 10:51
I've never had this problem??? Just lift one side of the film up and twist slightly.

Kirk Gittings
4-Aug-2013, 11:00
Exactly Corran. Just lift one side and it "pops" loose. Practice on a piece of old film.

sanking
4-Aug-2013, 11:26
It also helps if you wet the film in slightly alkaline water before inserting it in the tube. If you do this the film will not stick to the wall of tube and it will slide out very easily.

Sandy

David Lobato
4-Aug-2013, 14:55
Not exactly the same equipment, but I use print processing tubes to develop sheet film. It's very easy, essential actually, to keep the tube completely filled with water - then slide the film out. It seems to equalize the water's surface tension on the film and the tube inside walls, or so my theory goes. Try keeping your BTZS tubes submerged to slip out the film. I have not damaged a sheet of film yet this way.

jcoldslabs
4-Aug-2013, 15:27
Exactly Corran. Just lift one side and it "pops" loose. Practice on a piece of old film.

Yep. I pry one corner loose with my fingernail and it comes out quite easily. It does take a little bit of practice, though.

Jonathan

h2oman
4-Aug-2013, 16:30
When I was first starting to develop film, using the BTZS tubes, a member here sent me 6 sheets of a nylon medical mesh of some kind, out of the kind of general goodwill that I have run across several times. (Like after I bought some film holders form Eddie, he later just sent me a bit of expired film out of the blue.)

As he directed, I put the sheet of mesh in the tube, then the film. The whole kit'n kaboodle then comes out very easily. I recently managed to lose one sheet, and was still able to slide the film out, but not as easily as with the mesh.

I think I may try to find some more mesh - if I do I'll let you know where I got it, or send you some. I have wished I could that that gentleman now, but I don't think he posts here anymore. I think his name was Joel, and he lived (lives) in the southeast somewhere.

AJ Edmondson
4-Aug-2013, 17:46
Hello h2oman... it has indeed been a while but I am still here! Glad to hear that the Teflon mesh worked for you - I still use it (actually, I have been using the same sheets I cut about 12 years ago). We used it as a container for electropolishing stainless steel surgical needles in phosphoric acid so it definitely is robust enough.

Joel

Brian Ellis
4-Aug-2013, 17:48
I held the tube in my left hand, pressed the thumb of my right hand against the film and pulled up with my thumb so that a small portion of the film rose above the top edge of the tube. After that it's easy to remove the film. You need to press fairly hard but I processed hundreds of sheets in BTZS tubes and never ruined a sheet of film by doing that.

Jim Noel
4-Aug-2013, 18:05
Not exactly the same equipment, but I use print processing tubes to develop sheet film. It's very easy, essential actually, to keep the tube completely filled with water - then slide the film out. It seems to equalize the water's surface tension on the film and the tube inside walls, or so my theory goes. Try keeping your BTZS tubes submerged to slip out the film. I have not damaged a sheet of film yet this way.

Yep! This is the best method for any tube.

jeroldharter
4-Aug-2013, 18:34
Yes, leave water in the tubes, or have a deep tray of water to submerse the tubes as you remove the film. I like to use wet fingers to grab the top corner of a sheet. I bend the corner gently toward the center of the tube while twisting the tube slightly in the opposite direction. The sheet slides out easily.

mijosc
4-Aug-2013, 19:51
There are some good tips here, thank you all very much. Looks like I just need to keep practicing. I actually didn't ruin my film today, even though it was still difficult to get out, so I'm making some progress.

Sal Santamaura
4-Aug-2013, 20:05
I don't use BTZS tubes, but did have trouble with one particular film/drum combination. Delta 100 fixed in TF-4 is a very slippery film, even after three water rinses on the Jobo processor. Getting 5x7 sheets out of a 3005 drum, after they'd worked their way down into the chambers, was nearly impossible.

I use nitrile gloves for most darkroom work. Those didn't help. Solely to remove 5x7 Delta 100 sheets from a Jobo 3005, I switch to (powder free) latex gloves. They are sufficiently "sticky" to enable quick extraction without frustration or damage.

Brian Ellis
5-Aug-2013, 08:22
Yep! This is the best method for any tube.

Why is it the best method?

Ginette
5-Aug-2013, 13:53
Hello h2oman... it has indeed been a while but I am still here! Glad to hear that the Teflon mesh worked for you - I still use it (actually, I have been using the same sheets I cut about 12 years ago). We used it as a container for electropolishing stainless steel surgical needles in phosphoric acid so it definitely is robust enough.
Joel

Joel, do you have the specifications of the mesh you use and some suppliers for.

AJ Edmondson
5-Aug-2013, 16:10
Unfortunately I can't recall the name of the supplier we used and an internet search didn't refresh my memory. I do recall that whichever supplier we used had a high minimum order requirement. I will try to get some additional details and post photographs.

Joel