PDA

View Full Version : Needing a little help with my Horseman 970

asaspades
3-Aug-2013, 20:44
Hello all. I purchased a rather complete Horseman 970 outfit a while ago, and though I haven't had the resolve to sit down and figure out how to use the 4x5 adapter and its compensator, I have enjoyed using the roll fill holders with this cool little camera. My question stems from the fact that I have four of the old grey Horseman roll fill holders (three 6x7s and a 6x9), but only two of them mount onto the camera. Though they look very similar, the most obvious difference between the ones that mount and the ones that don't would be the direction by which one would remove the dark slide. The ones that I have been able to use require the slide to be removed to the right, while the two that don't work would have the slide pulled out to the left. A more subtle difference would be the fact that the Horseman labels are also opposite sides of the holder. The really odd thing is the fact that the part numbers are identical (P50/23) and the serial numbers are very close to one another. So weird! And yes, I did try turning the holder upside down... :p
Thanks in advance for any input.

ic-racer
3-Aug-2013, 21:31
Hello all. I purchased a rather complete Horseman 970 outfit a while ago, and though I haven't had the resolve to sit down and figure out how to use the 4x5 adapter and its compensator, I have enjoyed using the roll fill holders with this cool little camera. My question stems from the fact that I have four of the old grey Horseman roll fill holders (three 6x7s and a 6x9), but only two of them mount onto the camera. Though they look very similar, the most obvious difference between the ones that mount and the ones that don't would be the direction by which one would remove the dark slide. The ones that I have been able to use require the slide to be removed to the right, while the two that don't work would have the slide pulled out to the left. A more subtle difference would be the fact that the Horseman labels are also opposite sides of the holder. The really odd thing is the fact that the part numbers are identical (P50/23) and the serial numbers are very close to one another. So weird! And yes, I did try turning the holder upside down... :p
Thanks in advance for any input.

The newer style Horseman rollfilm backs, when you open it up to load the film, you can flip the middle part around so the wind lever is on the top or bottom. Perhaps the older ones are similar?

asaspades
4-Aug-2013, 07:34
The newer style Horseman rollfilm backs, when you open it up to load the film, you can flip the middle part around so the wind lever is on the top or bottom. Perhaps the older ones are similar?

Oh my gosh, I didn't think about the fact that the film advance lever is on the inner portion of the holder and not the outer part. So yes, that is exactly what I needed to do. How embarrassing! Not sure why those two would have been loaded that way, but whatever, problem solved. Thanks!