PDA

View Full Version : Flatening old sheet film

szadow
1-Aug-2013, 06:45
I bought 100 sheets of old polish sheet film Fotopan FF 10x15cm. I has expired in feb 1982, but it is still in good shape. Below you can see my fist test shots made with it. The film is ISO40 but I've made test shots at 25 and 12ISO, both look spot on. The only problem is that the sheets are not flat anymore, do you think there is a way to make the flat again?

Tin Can
1-Aug-2013, 07:22
I have 100 sheets of old Ilford 5x7 with the same problem. Tape it to AN glass for scanning, do the same for enlarging.

I bought 100 sheets of old polish sheet film Fotopan FF 10x15cm. I has expired in feb 1982, but it is still in good shape. Below you can see my fist test shots made with it. The film is ISO40 but I've made test shots at 25 and 12ISO, both look spot on. The only problem is that the sheets are not flat anymore, do you think there is a way to make the flat again?

szadow
1-Aug-2013, 07:51
the problem is that it is not flat enough in the holder, and I have problems with proper focus :)

Tin Can
1-Aug-2013, 07:58
Mine is flat in the holder, I guess you need a vacuum holder or a piece of not so sticky tape on the film back to hold it to the holder.

the problem is that it is not flat enough in the holder, and I have problems with proper focus :)

ROL
1-Aug-2013, 08:48
Just a thought, presuming that the emulsion has not changed permanently so that it can be made flat. Take the film and dark bag out in the dark, put in at least one other dark bag, or use a couple of enlarging paper dark bags, and weight them, and wait for them, for a week or so. Curious, how you knew the film wasn't flat to start with – because of focus issues with the test sheets?

Ari
1-Aug-2013, 09:52
Look on the bright side: you don't need to buy a Lensbaby!

ROL has a good suggestion for trying to flatten them out; wrap the film a few times in black bags and weigh them down with a heavy book or two, or six.

When scanning, wet scans might give you a little more ease of use and flatness.

szadow
1-Aug-2013, 10:25
I feel that they are bend when holding them in my hands. I am using old 13x18cm plate holders with reduction insert for 10x15cm plates. I put the sheet inside the reduction and press it with a glass plate. But when I touch the emulsion side in the dark with the dark slide taken out I fell that the sheet is not flat. I think I'll put few inside a dark bag with some pressure on them and see if it makes any difference