PDA

View Full Version : Product for Removing Black Spots from White Areas

ckpj99
31-Jul-2013, 20:14
Hey guys!

I've heard of spot tone, which I used in college, for removing white spots from black areas. I was also incredibly bad at it.

However, is there a product to remove black spots from white images. I'm shooting a few Avedon-ish type portraits, and despite my best efforts, I have flaws in the emulsion where the dark background should be. I tried identifying them and simply placing small things over where I thought they would appear during the printing process, but that's super tedious and it's next to impossible to find them all.

Is there a product like spot tone to fix black spots on white areas of the image?

Otto Seaman
31-Jul-2013, 20:19
Yeah it's called an X-Acto knife and a burnisher.

aporodagon
31-Jul-2013, 20:34
I used to remove black spots from my prints (silver gelatine) by making a mixture of potassium permanganate (purple crystals) with vinegar. The exact concentration doesn't seem to matter). This is applied with a toothpick on the black spot. The resulting permanganate stain is then removed with a solution of sodium bisulphate and the black spot is gone. I think I found this method in Steve Anchell's Darkroom Cookbook.

Merg Ross
31-Jul-2013, 21:01
Spotone also made Spot Off for the very problem you outline. It was two solutions, "A" (accelerator) and "B" (bleach). Different dilutions control amount of silver removal. Probably a solution of Pot. Ferricyanide and Sodium Thiosulfate would work. The above procedure sounds interesting also. With a little search you should find a remedy for this "old school" problem!

Bill Burk
31-Jul-2013, 21:03
The real solution of course, is to spot the negative. Print. Then use Spotone to blend the bad spot job.

Merg Ross
31-Jul-2013, 21:21
The real solution of course, is to spot the negative. Print. Then use Spotone to blend the bad spot job.

Yes, that is the ideal solution. I could do it with 8x10 negatives and contact prints, but never mastered the technique with 4x5 negatives when enlarging. However, with skilled hands and eyes it can be done!

ckpj99
31-Jul-2013, 21:30
So are you saying to use actual Spottone on the negative itself, or is there some other product you apply to the negative?

Bill Burk
31-Jul-2013, 21:59
I do one of two things, one is with a pen shaped holder with a needle point, I scratch surface of the back of the negative which disturbs the clear base and holds back light. The other thing is with opaque on a very fine brush. It is ugly - but leaves a sharp white spot on the print. I have found with my limited experience that an opaque blob is the more reliable method. It can be wiped off if I mess up. The scratches are one-time deal and they don't always do the trick.

I have tried using "New Coccine" with limited success. In general, if you try to blend the white spot on the negative, you end up with a halo. But if you opaque it out, you end up with a pure white spot.

The print on the drying screen is horribly ugly. Hopefully you only have one or two spots that need the treatment. I have done up to a dozen and thought I was insane.

Then the white spot on the print is relatively easy to spot back to blend into the background or subject.

Kirk Gittings
1-Aug-2013, 07:20
Yeah it's called an X-Acto knife and a burnisher.

I have done this for decades. EXCEPT I do it on wet prints. When dry the gelatin shrinks down and there is no need for a burnisher.

ckpj99
1-Aug-2013, 10:41
Bill Burk - what is "opaque"? I just know that word as an adjective.

Kirk Gittings - What type of burnisher are you referring too? Can you direct me to a YouTube video or at least a product listing on B&H or a craft store?

Thanks!