PDA

View Full Version : Bing.com Home Page Image

Greg Miller
30-Jul-2013, 20:40
One of my photos was the Bing.com home page image today:

Bill Burk
30-Jul-2013, 21:38
Congratulations,

I saw that, when my mouse was acting up a few minutes ago...

nice shot

Tin Can
30-Jul-2013, 22:49
Congratulations.

I look forward to the daily Bing image, uh, every day!

Seriously they are all really good, I try to get people to use it, but I think most of my friends even the techies are too lost to get it.

I was gazing at your image earlier today and considering what a big cup of water we humans inflict on the environment, meaning, modifying nature with dams.

I hope they pay well!

Thanks for making a computer less boring.

One of my photos was the Bing.com home page image today:

matthewlacroix
31-Jul-2013, 08:36
Nice! It was the image on my Windows Phone lockscreen for the day, thanks to Bing integration.

What was the licensing arrangement with Microsoft?

Matthew

Otto Seaman
31-Jul-2013, 08:56
Congrats!

Dang I hope they stole it off the web... that'd probably net a $100K-plus settlement.

While internet image thievery is rampant by foreign companies and individual idiots, no prominent, competent company is going to expose themselves to that kind of risk. They want clearly defined, professional licensing and they would want to know of other prior uses of the image, as well as potentially limiting conflicting future uses.

I bet the licensing for 24-hours was in the ballpark of $1500 or higher. They probably budget several hundred thousand per year towards licensing for just that one use.

Don't think Google doesn't have a team working on their homepage art too.

ROL
31-Jul-2013, 09:25
Lovely work, even if it is color (I haven't drank of the purple Kool-Ade myself in awhile, ;)). Hope you got paid.

ROL
31-Jul-2013, 09:32
Don't think Google doesn't have a team working on their homepage art too.

Well, of course they are. I'm sure they're just salivating over large format work to show on the net.

Greg Miller
31-Jul-2013, 13:20
Thanks everyone. It is a legit licensing situation done through my stock agency. Microsoft has a real budget for this. That, along with the fact that my stock agency commands a much higher licensing fee than all others, makes for a pretty nice paycheck.

Greg Miller
31-Jul-2013, 13:23
Lovely work, even if it is color (I haven't drank of the purple Kool-Ade myself in awhile, ;)).

Thanks. I guess ;)

Otto Seaman
6-Aug-2013, 16:55
http://petapixel.com/2013/08/06/500px-now-powers-bings-daily-featured-homepage-picture/#more-119787

Lucky you got in while they still paid. With their 500px deal, the lucky photographer gets paid in "exposure" instead of cash. Just like the sleaziest clients you got to deal with back when you were starting out ;-)

Lets see, Bing makes money, 500px makes money...

Greg Miller
6-Aug-2013, 17:01
http://petapixel.com/2013/08/06/500px-now-powers-bings-daily-featured-homepage-picture/#more-119787

Lucky you got in while they still paid. With their 500px deal, the lucky photographer gets paid in "exposure" instead of cash. Just like the sleaziest clients you got to deal with back when you were starting out ;-)

Lets see, Bing makes money, 500px makes money...

I'm not a fan of letting work get used for free with the hope that exposure will reap some untold rewards.

I monitored 500px for a couple of weeks about a year ago and rarely saw a photo I was impressed with. So I guess Bing will be happy with "good enough".

Tin Can
6-Aug-2013, 17:21
Most likely the end of truly great BING images, no info button on today's image.

Too bad I went to the trouble today, for the first time, showing my friends what they are missing.

Nice crab today.

bummer, as the old folks say

I'm not a fan of letting work get used for free with the hope that exposure will reap some untold rewards.

I monitored 500px for a couple of weeks about a year ago and rarely saw a photo I was impressed with. So I guess Bing will be happy with "good enough".