PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Technika, China Right angle reflex hood, Exprience?

Morten
30-Jul-2013, 13:04
Hi,

Any experience with this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Binocular-Right-Angle-Reflex-Focusing-Viewfinder-For-Linhof-Technika-4x5-Camera-/281103885992?pt=US_Viewfinders_Eyecups&hash=item417318e6a8

Looks tempting with 2x etc, but is it worth it? Or should I just jump in for the real deal, i.e. the more expensive Linhof product?

Best regards
Morten

Ari
30-Jul-2013, 13:10
Rudy (the seller) is very good about returns; if you don't like it, send it back for a refund.
Then get the real deal.

Daniel Stone
30-Jul-2013, 13:27
Imagine you are restoring a classic car. You have the option to put REAL, factory NOS parts on it. But there is the "cheaper" option.

if you plan to keep the car, or even if you decide to re-sell it, would your conscience sit well knowing that you put knockoff parts on it ;)?

Unless you're in a real bind, and you simply cannot afford the factory option, I'd go with the real deal :)

your choice of course, in the end ;)

Ari
30-Jul-2013, 13:34
Save your money, buy film.

I had an original Linhof RH, I felt that I needed it only once in the two years I had it.

Were I to buy another one for sporadic use, I'd get the knock-off and buy film with the left over money (which is probably a lot; the Linhof part is quite expensive).

Bob Salomon
30-Jul-2013, 13:36
The problem with this one is the same problem with the Sinar hood adapter for a Linhof. Since these attach to the GG frame it is very easy when looking in with both eyes to pull the gg frame out of position and then you are out of focus.

sanking
30-Jul-2013, 16:38
The problem with this one is the same problem with the Sinar hood adapter for a Linhof. Since these attach to the GG frame it is very easy when looking in with both eyes to pull the gg frame out of position and then you are out of focus.

Bob,

PLease post a link to the Linhof reflex hood adaptor that fits Technikardan 45s.

Sandy

Bob Salomon
30-Jul-2013, 16:50
Bob,

PLease post a link to the Linhof reflex hood adaptor that fits Technikardan 45s.

Sandy

Linhof has only had one Right Angle Reflex Housing for the past few decades. It is 002628. A few decades ago they had an adapter for the Sinar system but that was discontinued in the late 70's or early 80's and I no longer have a catalog number for that.

Otto Seaman
30-Jul-2013, 17:50
I bought their copy of the folding focusing hood for my old Technika and it needed some file work to actually fit the camera it was designed/marketed for.

Like the Chinese bellows, the price is good and the quality is decent, but the sizing and finish are nowhere nearly as nice as the OEM Linhof parts. You get what you pay for.

As for the utility of a reflex viewer, I think they are a lot more trouble than whatever imaginary convenience people think they'll achieve. If the upside down image is that much of a roadblock to making a successful large format photo then there many other things that will be even more daunting. If anything, the upside down and reversed ground glass image pushes you to see the composition abstractly and judge it as form, rather than simple a scene to be "taken". And if a client insists on it, get a better client ;-p

Jac@stafford.net
30-Jul-2013, 19:22
As with many Linhof items, 002628 is priced beyond reason.

Morten
2-Aug-2013, 10:21
Thanks for the input!
Buy film sounds like a good advice! :)

A friend of mine has the real deal, I guess I will borrow that and see, and then save & find the real deal if I decide its useful for more than the one shoot.

Bob Salomon
2-Aug-2013, 12:39
Thanks for the input!
Buy film sounds like a good advice! :)

A friend of mine has the real deal, I guess I will borrow that and see, and then save & find the real deal if I decide its useful for more than the one shoot.

To use it you need to have a Fresnel screen installed on the gg.

Morten
2-Aug-2013, 15:24
Thanks Bob, Noted!

Currently my Technika (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?88601-FS-FT-Linhof-Master-Technika-Superb-condition-(EU)/page4&highlight=master+technika) don't have a Fresnel. However one Yanke GG/Fresnel is currently in the mail. Its quite impressive to see the difference between a Fresnel GG combo vs only GG. (Wista SP with fresnel & GG vs plain Linhof GG)

Thomas Greutmann
3-Aug-2013, 23:57
I have tried a variety of Reflex Viewers for Linhof cameras (Technika and Technikardan), including the model the OP asks about. In the end, the Linhof original Viewer (which I bought used / abused) is still the best. All the 3rd Party alternatives have some mechanical issues whereas the original is precisely built and quite robust, despite the flimsy-looking plastic. The biggest difference, however, is optical quality. The orginial Linhof viewer gives a sharp Image whereas the view on all the copies is soft, slightly blurred or plain out of focus.

I don't share the view of some answers here that a Reflex viewer is not really useful. On the contrary, I find reflex viewers are one of the most useful accessories. I wear glasses and I always have trouble to see
the full GG, which makes composing under the darccloth difficult for me. The reflex viewer makes it a lot easier and more fun.

My advice would be to get a used Linhof original viewer - and some film.

Greetings, Thomas

luis a de santos
4-Aug-2013, 15:28
I bought one and it is no good at all.
Some chinese large ormat camera devices are good
this one is not.
Difficult to go from verical to horizontal and unstable.

I would strongly advice against this one in particular.

As for the return ,not so easy

Best Luis