PDA

View Full Version : Beseler 45 MCRX Enlarger

ShannonG
30-Jul-2013, 12:29
Hi, any opinions and experiences with the Beseler 45 MCRX enlarger ? I will use it mostly for 4X5 work. What do you like about it and what dont you like about it. Thanks for any help
Shannon

Ari
30-Jul-2013, 12:46
I had one for years; good, solid enlarger, lots of available parts. I particularly liked the motorized column.
I put an Aristo cold light head on mine, and I really liked the look of cold light.
Switching back and forth between condenser and cold light was a few minutes' work.
If it can be had in good condition for under $500 with the neg carriers and lens boards, I'd say go for it.

Leigh
30-Jul-2013, 13:26
I really like mine. Using an Ilford Multigrade head. I only do b&w, usually on Ilford paper, so it's a good match.

It's a great enlarger. Very easy to use. Mine is mounted to the wall, so it's extremely rigid.

http://www.mayadate.org/pix/Darkroom3.jpg

- Leigh

Tin Can
30-Jul-2013, 14:44
At first I was an Omega man, but now I prefer all things Beseler. Sturdier, better bracing, motorized, parts everywhere and most all the same. I really like the special stand.

However I really prefer a Beseler CB-7, which is almost the same but more adjustable, bigger condenser and it has it's own special stand, same knock down design as a 45.

Both can be converted to 5x7 with the right parts.

And of course there is the 8x10 kit, nobody can find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BESELER-45MCRX-ENLARGER-SYSTEM-/170990464470?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cfd36dd6

Tin Can
30-Jul-2013, 14:56
Sorry, don't buy a new one unless you can afford it. I bought a nearly new one for $25 in Milwaukee!

At first I was an Omega man, but now I prefer all things Beseler. Sturdier, better bracing, motorized, parts everywhere and most all the same. I really like the special stand.

However I really prefer a Beseler CB-7, which is almost the same but more adjustable, bigger condenser and it has it's own special stand, same knock down design as a 45.

Both can be converted to 5x7 with the right parts.

And of course there is the 8x10 kit, nobody can find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BESELER-45MCRX-ENLARGER-SYSTEM-/170990464470?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cfd36dd6

jk0592
30-Jul-2013, 17:46
I have had mine for more than 25 years now, it is still working as new and never broke down. It is fitted with a Zone VI cold light. Once a while, I buy a used negative carrier, another lens board. It is a great product.

Pat Kearns
30-Jul-2013, 18:25
I bought a MCRX about 18 years ago and that photographer had it for over 10 years. They are the grandfather to the MXT but they are solid. I picked up a MXT with a Zone VI cold light from a local college that was disposing of all it's darkroom equipment a year ago but haven't had a chance try it out yet. I would love to convert it to an 810 but then I would have to buy an 810 camera. I wouldn't be able to hide all of that from my wife and don't think she will go along with all of that. Parts are readily available. Have fun with it.

dsphotog
30-Jul-2013, 23:22
I have 4 of them, they are rugged, easy to maintain and affordable.

ShannonG
31-Jul-2013, 06:14
Thanks so much for the great responses.In looking at the manual and now your responses,,im sold.Going to go look at it and its accessories this week end.We recently moved our studio to a new building ware i was able to build a dark room.Got the darkroom done but been using my only enlarger witch is a 35mm/120.Im very excited to be able to print large format again.Wish me luck with the sale.
thanks again
S

Bob Salomon
31-Jul-2013, 12:52
I would love to convert it to an 810
The problem with that is that no enlarging lens will fit the lensboard that covers 8x10 so they resorted to a wide field process lens that left a lot to be desired if you are a critical worker. Especially because that lens was optimized for f22 which meant very long exposures, possible vibration and possible reciprocity. An enlarging lens for 810 is corrected for around f11. That is a big difference!

joselsgil
4-Aug-2013, 00:17
I enjoy working with the 45M series enlargers. The CB-7 was considered the top of the line.

Jody_S
4-Aug-2013, 06:42
I love mine. I got it for $5, locally, with 3 older Schneider Componons. They were just happy to see it go to someone who would actually use it.

emmett
4-Aug-2013, 18:32
Obviously if you can get any of the 45 series Beselers for next to nothing go for it. That said I've had a 45MCRX and 45VLX notice I said had. I was able to pick up an old CB-7 6 years ago and its a keeper. Easily adjustable negative and lens stages, enough said.

ShannonG
5-Aug-2013, 06:31
Well I bought it, it came with a Dichro Color head neg carriers Rodenal lenses and lens boards. Its in good shape and cleaned up good.I also picked up a Omega D2 with lenses, boards and neg holders as well as some 4X5 processing tanks. The whole lot for $300.00..

Back to the Dichro 45 computerized color head for the Beseler, I print exclusively B&W with the Illford contrast filters.What are your opinions on printing B&W with the Dichro head with the color filters zero'd out vs. printing with the Beseler 45M Enlarger Condenser Head EC (I have a chance to buy one). Is the image quality better with one or the other? I like my images contrasty with very sharp lines and prefer cold light. So I'm looking for any input on the Dichro head VS the condenser head for the style of printing I do.Thanks again for your help
Shannon

Jon Shiu
5-Aug-2013, 06:49
I prefer the condenser head for sharpness and contrast over the dichro head, but it depends on your negatives.

Jon

dsphotog
7-Aug-2013, 18:05
Great deal Shannon!
I use the Dichro filters to dial in contrast grade.
The instructions packed with Ilford paper list a "dual filter combination" that provides consistent exposure
when changing contrast grade.
With the diffusion head, my prints very rarely have dust spots.
Happy printing!

Neal Chaves
9-Aug-2013, 19:15
"The problem with that is that no enlarging lens will fit the lensboard that covers 8x10 "

I think it will on the 45V. I have a Beseler 45VXL 8X10 and I have a 240mm Rodagon 5.6 coming.

The 45VXL was designed to use a lens turret. Part of the circular opening that the turret turns in arcs accross one corner of the square 4X4 lensboard opening. I do not use a lens turret. No turret lens can cover 8X10. Therefore, I notched out this arc square with the opening, and I don't think this notch would affect turret operation in any case. Now I can insert lenses with large rear elements mounted on 4X4 lensboards.

If I can't get that 240mm Rodagon up in there on a 4X4 lensboard, I'll just put it on a large board made to take the place of the 4X4 adapter. Where there is a will there is always a way.

I have been using the 240mm f9 Beseler HD lens that came with it and have been very satisfied. Don't expect dramatic improvement from the Rodagon, just a brighter image wide open.

ShannonG
11-Aug-2013, 09:48
Thanks for the replys,I really like using the machine. I went ahead and picked up a Beseler condenser head. I really like the way it makes my prints look.Its nice to be able to print 4X5 again and with the arrival of the new enlargers i have started a new project. Makes me smile...

Leigh
11-Aug-2013, 13:08
"The problem with that is that no enlarging lens will fit the lensboard that covers 8x10 "
I think it will on the 45V. I have a Beseler 45VXL 8X10 and I have a 240mm Rodagon 5.6 coming.
I suggest you accept the opinion presented by Mr. Salomon.

Few people on the planet can match his breadth and depth of experience in the dark arts. :cool:

- Leigh