PDA

View Full Version : Dispensing Developer Using a hand pump

gary892
29-Jul-2013, 11:19
I have been using HC110 since I began processing my own film in the early 70's

To dispense the amount I need, I pour a small amount into a small graduate and then, with my breath, blew into the HC110 bottle to displace any oxygen.
I have no real idea if this has helped but my solution has lasted a long time.

Well times have changed, I just bought a new bottle of HC110 and it is now 32 ounces instead of 16 ounces and it seems to be a lighter color, (maybe just me).

So I was wondering if anyone is using a small hand pump, like the ones that come on has soap dispensers, to dispense the developer.

It seems to me it would keep air out of the unused developer and provide a convenient way to dispense the developer.

I am thinking of buying a small had pump and screw it onto an amber bottle in which the developer would be stored.

Anyone have any thought on this?

Thanks

Gary

Drew Wiley
29-Jul-2013, 11:29
You can get precision pipettes that work on an automatic pump basis. But the problem with HC-110 is that the concentrate is a very sticky syrup which tend to
cling to the walls of almost any measuring device, affecting the accuracy of your measurement if you like to work directly from concentrate rather than stock.
So what I do is use polymethypentene graduates for the concentrate, and after pouring it into the water and mixing this, then pour and swirl the water back into
the graduate a few times until the entire solution is dissolved. Polymethylpentene seems to retain the sticky residue a bit less than acrylic, polyethylene, or glass.

Jon Shiu
29-Jul-2013, 12:36
I use a large syringe, which has cc's on it.

Jon

ic-racer
29-Jul-2013, 15:18
The CO2 in the expired breath is minimal (only about 5% at end expiration). So, even if the gas in the bottle were totally replaced by your expired breath, you'd still have about 15% oxygen in there.

I use a pipette for small quantities of developer. 99489

Kevin Crisp
29-Jul-2013, 15:45
In a fridge, a partially used bottle of HC110 syrup will last at least 5 years. You'll get a little brown coloration on the sides of the bottle where it was spread thin from the last time your poured it, but the developer will be fine.