PDA

View Full Version : Processing Tiny Sheet Film

David R Munson
29-Jul-2013, 09:32
Bear with me on this one. I want ideas on how to develop 6x6cm sheets of film cut from a 120 film. I ask here because this is the place for all things sheet film.

I've figured out how I'm going to cut film for my Hasselblad cut film back/holders. I have no idea how I'm going to develop it. I've thought about slotting it into a 120 reel, but am unsure how well this would work out in terms of things moving around. I may need to figure out some method of modifying a reel to keep the pieces of film where I put them. I also want to figure out a way to develop one sheet at a time in a single-reel 35mm tank.

I could do them in trays, but for now I have no darkroom and won't for the foreseeable future (I do everything in tanks currently, including 4x5).

Thoughts? Thanks!

jb7
29-Jul-2013, 10:11
99467[

You could make tiny hangers, and process in shallow tanks...

There are plastic coated clips too, you can get them cheaply in Staples.

Ari
29-Jul-2013, 10:27
You might try the taco method in a 120 tank, one or two sheets per tank; more "tacos" if you have a larger tank.
I'm not sure of the overall quality of this method, having never tried it myself, but some do swear by it when drastic measures are needed.

cabbiinc
29-Jul-2013, 10:36
Is there a reason you don't want to get a 120 film back for your camera?

You could try the BTZS tubes or taco methods.

Leigh
29-Jul-2013, 10:52
The Nikor sheet film tank will handle sizes down to 57mm high.

- Leigh

Jon Shiu
29-Jul-2013, 11:02
You can use a plastic 120 reel, but I would take the ball bearings out first to ease loading.

Jon

David R Munson
29-Jul-2013, 11:19
Is there a reason you don't want to get a 120 film back for your camera?

I have two 120 backs for the camera. I have the cut film back for experimental shots and other stuff that I'd like to be able to process one at a time.

Leigh - I completely forgot that the Nikor tank would adjust that small, which means I have one option. Still, if I could work something using less chemistry that would be a plus.

jb7
29-Jul-2013, 11:24
Still, if I could work something using less chemistry that would be a plus.

You could try using smaller film...

Leigh
29-Jul-2013, 11:24
Still, if I could work something using less chemistry that would be a plus.
Trays.

Admittedly, the volume requirement of the Nikor for a single sheet (or even a few) is rather excessive.

- Leigh

Leigh
29-Jul-2013, 11:26
You could try using smaller film...
It's not the size of the film (directly).

When you stand film up on edge in a tank, you need sufficient volume to fill to the top edge of the film.
That can be way more than is actually needed to develop that emulsion area.

- Leigh

jb7
29-Jul-2013, 11:32
Well I wasn't being entirely serious. When you mentioned 'Trays' , it was all I could do to stop myself saying 'ashtrays'.

I prefer not ever to employ smileys, but they can be useful sometimes...

Tin Can
29-Jul-2013, 12:01
I have posted this before and the darn things are rare I guess. I got 2 for $5 last year.

If I knew what they were called or who made them, I would search for more.

They can hold 12, I do only 6.

David R Munson
29-Jul-2013, 12:21
Are those regular 120-size tanks? And what are these called? Might be perfect for my needs.

Tin Can
29-Jul-2013, 12:36
Yes those are 120 tanks. they just fit. Unfortunately I don't know what they are called and I am not selling them. I use them a lot.

Hopefully somebody has a couple for you.

Are those regular 120-size tanks? And what are these called? Might be perfect for my needs.

Lou Baleur
29-Jul-2013, 13:17
I use the nikor tank for exactly this purpose--hasselblad cut film. Note that the chemistry requirement for 2.5" film squares is about half that of a full tank--you need not fill the tank to the top.

Otto Seaman
29-Jul-2013, 13:50
They did this for the Mel Gibson movie, "The Year of Living Dangerously", when they had to make a fake passport. Ask Mel?

Jody_S
29-Jul-2013, 13:56
The infamous Yankee tank will also go down to that size. They're not so bad for stand and semi-stand development. However, I second the plastic spiral reel idea, it should be easy to load the sheets one-by-one into the spiral and move them inward once they've cleared the ball bearings. I don't think overlap would be a huge problem, the sheets shouldn't move with inversion development.

polyglot
29-Jul-2013, 16:14
What about the ziplok-bag method? Requires darkness but you can use minimal chemistry.

David R Munson
29-Jul-2013, 16:15
Never heard of that, but sounds interesting!

Tin Can
29-Jul-2013, 16:27
I have tried ziploc with 8x10 xray, too tight in my bags, 5x7 worked great the same bags. If you want one at a time 2x2, small ziploc should work. Be gentle and use a new bag every time.

dwross
29-Jul-2013, 17:02
David,

If you are able to find a small dark space to work, small plastic food storage containers, available from most of the brands that make plastic bags and from Rubbermaid, work perfectly. Inexpensive, stack very compactly, tight-fitting lids. I love working with little sheets of film. Great idea to cut roll film into small pieces! http://www.thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/htmlgen.py?content=13Dec2011

d

Tin Can
29-Jul-2013, 17:26
Heck, chop up X-Ray and do those little trays under LED red light.

David, we are local, I can easily spare, give away, 10 sheets of 7 x 17 X-Ray Kodak CSG. I don't use that size much at all. I got it to cut to 7x11 and 5x7.

I have cut it to 2x3 and I didn't scratch it. I did scratch bigger sizes. 7x17 sheets would yield 24 2x2 per sheet.

If you want it, PM me.

David R Munson
29-Jul-2013, 17:30
Randy, I may take you up on that once I get back from my family reunion (going over the weekend). I'll be in touch.

Tin Can
29-Jul-2013, 17:48
I seldom leave town until after Labor Day, less crowds up north.

Enjoy your family.

Randy, I may take you up on that once I get back from my family reunion (going over the weekend). I'll be in touch.