PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here shooting Fuji FP-3000BW instant film?

Uri A
28-Jul-2013, 01:42
Now that I am down to my last few packs of my beloved FP-100BW, the only option is the 3000 speed.

What are the prints like? Any grain? I presume the only reason it's still produced is for medical/forensic/police/passport purposes, so I guess it's OK, but is it as silky and tonal as the 100?

Only asking cos I'm about to do a big order to Australia. If it's OK I'll take a bunch.

Thanks for any help.

Uri A
28-Jul-2013, 01:44
Only asking cos I'm about to do a big order to Australia. If it's OK I'll take a bunch.

munz6869
28-Jul-2013, 02:51
The prints are virtually grainless - they just don't have the tonal range of a negative (which just means you have to expose with that in mind)!

Marc!

Uri A
28-Jul-2013, 04:32
Thanks Marc,

The 100 blows the s*it out of the highlights, (which can be used nicely for flattering portraits if you use it in open shade and expose at 160ASA, which I do. I fear the 3000 is just insanely contrasty - your thoughts?

cosmicexplosion
28-Jul-2013, 04:42
i bought a box of 600 shots, happy to give you a box to try out, but as above, hard to see grain, i thought it would be like grainy 35mm but was surprised.
pm me with address and ill post a box.

Roger Cole
28-Jul-2013, 08:25
It is pretty contrasty but I wouldn't call it "insanely" contrasty. Sort of like a pretty narriw range transparency film, think black and white Velvia with almost six stops more speed!

(Note - based on a little over half a box used.)

Roger Cole
28-Jul-2013, 08:26
It is pretty contrasty but I wouldn't call it "insanely" contrasty. Sort of like a pretty narrow range transparency film, think black and white Velvia with almost six stops more speed!

(Note - based on a little over half a box used.)

ScottPhotoCo
28-Jul-2013, 13:44
This is a test I did a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps it will help.

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Uri A
28-Jul-2013, 14:54
Thanks for all the replies (Andrew thanks for the offer! I just ordered some last night before I saw your post)

Looks like i'll give it a go.

Thanks Tim for the scan!! Wit all the trouble of washing the neg, and all the lost highlights, it almost looks like youre better off scanning the print, no?

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

ScottPhotoCo
28-Jul-2013, 23:07
Thanks Tim for the scan!! Wit all the trouble of washing the neg, and all the lost highlights, it almost looks like youre better off scanning the print, no?

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

I like both for different reasons. You don't have to wash the 3000b negatives. Just keep them clean and let them dry before scanning.

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

stradibarrius
23-Nov-2014, 13:28
At what speed are you shooting the 3000b.

vdonovan
24-Nov-2014, 17:01
Now that I am down to my last few packs of my beloved FP-100BW, the only option is the 3000 speed.

Don't forget that the FP-3000B has also been discontinued in all sizes. What's on the shelves now is from the final production run at the end of 2013. Not sure when it will actually run out, but get it while you can.

That said, it was my favorite instant film. Not quite the same tonal range of the 100B, but unbelievably versatile.

Corran
24-Nov-2014, 22:34

I'm not sure I understand the question though. It's not a normal film that could be different depending on developer/development/etc., so you've pretty much gotta follow that recommendation. I guess if your meter is defective you might have a different EI but that's not really the same thing.