PDA

View Full Version : Convert 4x5 Harman Titan PinHole Camera by Fixing Lens

VKJ
23-Jul-2013, 04:57
Hello,
I am absolutely new in this field of Large Format Photography and i have used 35mm Film Cameras from point & shoot to SLR's & now use Nikon DSLR but recently i started using Diana F+ medium format camera and it is good as a creative option with color shifts etc but it lacked the sharpness, detail & tonal details etc. So it is the thirst for the detail, sharpness & quality that has brought me here

Photography is a costly hobby & specially Large Format is further expensive but this fact was not able to keep me from deciding to plunge into Large Format Photography, After doing some basic research on internet and keeping in mind budget i have concluded some things (i might be fully or partially wrong) so i need expert opinions & suggestions from the experienced people on this forum

I need a portable & light weight 4x5 camera that will be kind of point & shoot and used mostly for portrait & candid photos of my family so i am thinking of buying a Harman Titan 4x5 Pinhole Camera & replacing the pinhole holder by a Sinar Lens of 90mm or 180mm Macro. The cones available are of 72mm, 110mm & 150mm Focal Length so i am not sure that i can use 180mm Macro Lens which i will love to use as it is supposed to give very good portrait photos (as per the people i consulted)

Also the cost of new Sinar 90mm & 180mm Macro is approx $1700-$1900 and if any one can recommend any other good lens that can be bought new & will cost less then i will be very happy and to be honest i plan to start with the 4x5 & then in due course of time graduate to 8x10 through the same route of Pinhole Camera Conversion & 8x10 is actually my target & desire but i want to go slow & steady in this field of Large Format Photography so i am starting with 4x5 size

Regards,
VKJ

Tim Meisburger
23-Jul-2013, 05:23
Search for a thread here titled "Wanderlust travelwide". This is the camera you are looking for. It will take any 90mm LF lens, some of which can be had for as little as $125.

Jim Noel
23-Jul-2013, 08:47
I don't understand the economics of by a new lens to put on a pinhole camera. For far less money a good used camera and lens can be obtained.

VKJ
24-Jul-2013, 06:45
Hello,
Wanderlust travelwide uses max 90mm lens & I want to use 150mm min or 180mm preferably also I want to ask the back focus distance for the used 150 or 180mm lens that sell on ebay as I am not able to find this detail on Internet except for Congo lenses

Regards,
VKJ

VKJ
24-Jul-2013, 06:47
Also I want a light and portable camera that can be put in a bag & carried so it should be a point & shoot kind of thing as I will be using it for portrait photos mostly

Regards,
VKJ

Tim Meisburger
24-Jul-2013, 07:48
Crown Graphic is designed for handheld portraits. Alternatively, you might look at one of the Polaroid conversions. Truthfully, if you are going to shoot portraits handheld you are probably better off with medium format.

Good luck!

Bob Salomon
24-Jul-2013, 08:18
Crown Graphic is designed for handheld portraits.

Awful lot of old news, military, sports shooters who would find that statement hard to believe!