PDA

View Full Version : 20X24 Ebony

sanking
21-Jul-2013, 18:22
Ebony 20X24 with one really big lens set up at the Penland School of Crafts in North Carolina.

Sandy

William Whitaker
21-Jul-2013, 18:29
Penland is such a beautiful place. Thanks for the photo! Must've been Monty's class?

Tin Can
21-Jul-2013, 18:36
Nice to see an action shot!

Ari
21-Jul-2013, 18:58
Nice to see an action shot!

Only on this site would that be called an "action shot" :)

Tin Can
21-Jul-2013, 19:20
I considered that.

But it is!

Only on this site would that be called an "action shot" :)

rustyair
21-Jul-2013, 19:32
Wow!

Tim Meisburger
21-Jul-2013, 19:46
I'm so impressed Sandy with your field camera, and laugh at those that complain about shlepping round a 4x5...

Tin Can
21-Jul-2013, 19:55
The case is what really shows the size.

sanking
21-Jul-2013, 20:05
I'm so impressed Sandy with your field camera, and laugh at those that complain about shlepping round a 4x5...

Hi Tom,

Alas, this 20X24 Ebony does not belong to me but to a fellow named Monty.

Working with a format this size is quite a bite for anyone. Until very recently I owned a 20X24 camera made by Richard Ritter. Unfortunately a couple of rotary cuff surgeries made it impossible for me to continue using it so I had to sell it. But the RR 20X24 was quite light, and in fact I back-packed it several times to locations 1-2 miles from the car.

No way you could back-pack Monty's 20X24, unless you are a mule!!

Sandy

Dave Wooten
21-Jul-2013, 20:10
...or a Zebra!:)

Curt
22-Jul-2013, 02:53
Hi Tom,

Working with a format this size is quite a bite for anyone. Until very recently I owned a 20X24 camera made by Richard Ritter. Unfortunately a couple of rotary cuff surgeries made it impossible for me to continue using it so I had to sell it. But the RR 20X24 was quite light, and in fact I back-packed it several times to locations 1-2 miles from the car.

Sandy

Accidents are real setbacks, I recently finished two months of physical therapy on my left shoulder. Sanding drywall and painting under the pressure of my wife's insistence on an early termination of the project caused me to obtain a repetitive motion injury. Before that I had just glued down a bamboo floor.

Now I'm into the build of a Rosewood & Ebony 11x14 camera. There's a few miles from the car, a few yards from the car, next to the car, and finally my solution; in the car. In reality I'm realizing this isn't a backpacking camera. I'll take it out but with judgement. Like you stated about Richard Ritter's design, lightweight, that's the key. It'll be my next endeavor, a light weight field camera. After that, d***tal perhaps, who knows. Sorry to digress.

An Ebony 20x24 would be too heavy for me, I'd have to put on my engineer and architects hat to design one of that size!

e
22-Jul-2013, 11:35
Amazing..that anyone would even take it out of the studio..just looking at that sagging bellows..and gigantor lens..and thinkin about the film sagging in that huge holder..makes my skin crawl..hahah!
I have Wisner 12x20 and 16x20..
Would luv a 20x24..but man..

dave_whatever
22-Jul-2013, 12:58
Ebony 20X24 with one really big lens set up at the Penland School of Crafts in North Carolina.

Sandy

Are we sure that's not just a 10x8 and a midget?

Otto Seaman
22-Jul-2013, 13:08
My best memory of Penland was sitting on the porch while waiting to pick up a student. I thought it was rather pleasant rocking back and forth, and I kind of wished to be stoned. Well... I reached down and felt under the lip of the rocking chair and low and behold, there was a roach stuck into the corner with spittle.

Mhhhm....

And then I saw this cartoon character with a giant camera.

ZoeRayor
23-Jul-2013, 21:45
I just had the honor of working with Monty at Penland and used this GARGANTUAN camera--it is SO AMAZING!!!

TML74
24-Jul-2013, 14:53
Hello every body, can someone tell me what is the bag that is on the picture and that allow to carry this big camera ?
I will myself recieve a big one and need to find a way to carry it;
I thank you for your answers.
Thierry M.L.

David R Munson
24-Jul-2013, 14:57
I would guess it's a custom soft case. There are a number of manufacturers making them - you might look to see if there's anyone in France who can work with you to make something to your specification.

Diane Maher
24-Jul-2013, 17:22
I am curious. What workshop is Monty giving?

sanking
24-Jul-2013, 17:47
I am curious. What workshop is Monty giving?

Hi Diane,

Monty was doing a workshop on wet plate collodion. These days people use this process to make both negatives on glass, and prints on black trophy aluminum, and perhaps on other surfaces as well.

Clay Harmon was also giving a workshop there at the same time, on photopolymer gravure.

Lots of very creative work going on.

Sandy

jk0592
24-Jul-2013, 18:40
The bellows always seem to sag on these ULF cameras. Does it interfere with image taking ?
I can only admire users of these cameras. Not too long ago, I thought that 4x5 was large...

sanking
24-Jul-2013, 19:21
The bellows always seem to sag on these ULF cameras. Does it interfere with image taking ?
I can only admire users of these cameras. Not too long ago, I thought that 4x5 was large...

Bellows sag can certainly vignette the image. Most people who work with ULF use some type of system to eliminate the sag. In some cases just putting a cowboy hat under the bottom to push up the bellows does the trick. Then, we can attach cord to the bellows at the top and pull it taunt to the front standard. Two or three attachment points is not unusual with very long bellows.

Sandy

Diane Maher
24-Jul-2013, 19:27

The possibility does exist, yes. If you are careful, it isn't a problem. :cool:

Robert Langham
25-Jul-2013, 21:02
I bet you would learn a lot about lens coverage....and quickly!

Otto Seaman
25-Jul-2013, 21:35
Wonder if the new Lomo Petzval will work?

Michael Graves
26-Jul-2013, 08:33

Sandy

How many megapixels is that?

SergeiR
26-Jul-2013, 11:23
How many megapixels is that?

:P (24 * 360) * (20 * 360) if scanned at lowest acceptable way (1:1 reprinting) - so that would make it just above 62mp...
or at 2400dpi you get yourself hefty chunk to deal with ( roughly 2764 mp - can only dread file size of it )

Tin Can
26-Jul-2013, 11:28
Lol

:p (24 * 360) * (20 * 360) if scanned at lowest acceptable way (1:1 reprinting) - so that would make it just above 62mp...
Or at 2400dpi you get yourself hefty chunk to deal with ( roughly 2764 mp - can only dread file size of it )

Monty McCutchen
31-Jul-2013, 16:03
Thanks Sandy for the pic of Sam behind the Ebony. It was great to see you and Sam however briefly that day. I wish I would have had more time! Penland turned out to be a great experience. The students were a true joy to be around only adding more to the time spent there. The last day of the two week course on Wet Plate Collodion positives I brought the big camera out and whoever wanted to take a run at a big pour had the chance. Wild day to say the least but great fun nonetheless. Here's an example done previous to this class at Penland but nonetheless with the camera shown in this thread.

If you get a chance to go to Penland take it! Penland is a special place filled with a close community of wonderful people.

Monty

Michael Cienfuegos
31-Jul-2013, 17:11
Hi Tom,

Sandy

No energetic grandkids around?

Michael Cienfuegos
31-Jul-2013, 17:16
:P (24 * 360) * (20 * 360) if scanned at lowest acceptable way (1:1 reprinting) - so that would make it just above 62mp...
or at 2400dpi you get yourself hefty chunk to deal with ( roughly 2764 mp - can only dread file size of it )

Gigapixels? :confused:

StoneNYC
31-Jul-2013, 18:22
Gigapixels? :confused:

When you say "well it's only 2 or 3 Gigapixels" it doesn't sound like that much :-p

Giggady giggady gooo! (This reference my be lost on the older generation).