PDA

View Full Version : Idea for Cooke?

Alan Barton
11-Jul-2004, 18:42
It's wonderful to see Cooke Optics back in the market with superb products for the LF photographer. Assuming that the Portrait lens and now the triple convertible are a big success-what next?

The demand for used Dagors seems limitless and prices are rising as a consequence. Their huge coverage (especially the longer focal lengths) and timeless design set them apart. What about a new version of the 16 inch and 19 inch 7.7 from Cooke?

Here's hoping,

Alan Barton

Lawrence Francis
11-Jul-2004, 18:50
I'm pushing for re-birth of their Series VIIb lens.

Graeme Hird
11-Jul-2004, 20:09
Alan,

Barbara Lowry from Cook Optics regularly monitors and contributes to the f32.net forum. If you post your request there, you'll have a direct line with Cooke Optics.

In fact, the following thread on the forum developed into a "Where to next?...." for Cooke. Why not tack onto it? Barbara still monitors it.

http://www.f32.net/discus/messages/6/4008.html?1087185735

Cheers,

George Stewart
12-Jul-2004, 11:43
I think that it would be best for them to make lenses that aren't made by others.

How about a 180 degree circular-fisheye lens for either 4x5 and/or 8x10.

I'd also like to see a small, light-weight zoom lens (perhaps 24-120 35mm equivalent) for backpacking with 4x5. It should be the size of a 90mm Angulon with multiple aspheric elements and an infinetly variable zoom lever. Cooke could even team up with Walker and make a super light-weight expedition camera with this lens that would not need a lensboard - it would be permanently attached.

Ole Tjugen
12-Jul-2004, 13:19
"a super light-weight expedition camera" must be something like my 1934 Voigtländer Bergheil. It doesn't use lensboards, but a small bayonet adapter. Did you know that the Angulon can be used as a convertible? Unscrew the front element, and shoot it as a 180(ish) f:13(ish)! Not bad quality at all from such a tiny thing... Combined with a 150mm f:4.5 and possibly a 120mm Angulon as well, you have three lenses covering 90, 120, 150, 180 and 240mm in less of the space and weight of a Super-Angulon.

So what do you need a 2kg zoom for?

I've been following the debate on f32 for quite a while now. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the real "gap" in todays market is in lenses for "RLF" - Really Large Format. There's a plethora of lenses for 4x5", fewer for 8x10", even fewer (at least well-adapted) for 5x7". But those who use 8x10" and up, with movements, often end up using brass lenses from around 1900. So that's what I'd advise Cooke to do: Long lenses with good coverage and moderate weight.