PDA

View Full Version : Voltage Stabilizer for Ilfospeed 500 VC head

davidrcarls
18-Jul-2013, 09:47
I have an Ilfospeed Multigrade 500 Enlarger head made by Ilford. Page 16 of the manual states that "ILFORD Limited will be pleased to recommend a suitable voltage stabilizer upon request". Well, I called Ilford USA, and was informed that all Ilford B&W is now Harmon Technologies, and Harmon Technologies does not appear to allow for incoming inquiries. Does anyone know what I need for a voltage stabilizer? I contacted my local electronics guru, and it was his opinion that voltage stabilizers for enlargers need to be very carefully chosen. Thanks - dc

bob carnie
18-Jul-2013, 10:07
Harman is the new name, you could try emailing them, they really are helpful people, I have one of these in storage, if nobody pipes in I will track out the model required.

but quite a few people here use this unit.

Ron Stowell
18-Jul-2013, 10:25
My enlarger is on it's own separate circuit and as a rule voltage in that circuit is very stable.
I should think that any reasonable voltage stabilizer should be acceptable.
Just my two cents

Leigh
18-Jul-2013, 11:50
The 500CPM system draws 600 watts max (seems kind of low since the bulbs total 600 watts).

I would suggest any constant-voltage transformer rated 1000 volt-amps (1000VA = 1kVA) or more.
There's nothing unusual about the 500CPM.

Here's a suitable (and representative) unit on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/23-23-210-8-Transformer-Constant-17-25In-L-Materro/dp/B00DWIEKPS/ref=sr_1_10?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1374173747&sr=1-10&keywords=%22constant-voltage+transformer%22
I'm confident that you're not going to like it.

I've run my 500CPM for over a decade with no CV transformer and have encountered no issues.
I really don't think you need one.

- Leigh

Iga
21-Jul-2013, 12:28
I have an Ilfospeed Multigrade 500 Enlarger head made by Ilford. Page 16 of the manual states that "ILFORD Limited will be pleased to recommend a suitable voltage stabilizer upon request". Well, I called Ilford USA, and was informed that all Ilford B&W is now Harmon Technologies, and Harmon Technologies does not appear to allow for incoming inquiries. Does anyone know what I need for a voltage stabilizer? I contacted my local electronics guru, and it was his opinion that voltage stabilizers for enlargers need to be very carefully chosen. Thanks - dc

Hi ! You will need specific Ilford Multigrade power supply. For small and medium formats its 500S. For large format I don't know for sure, but I beleive it's the same. Whats head you have ? Mine is 500HS made for Leitz Focomat 1C.
Best wishes,
Igor.

Iga
21-Jul-2013, 12:40
Hi, look at this auction 190871043324, that's what you need I beleive.
Igor.

marcaeon
2-Aug-2013, 13:06
There are two versions of the 500S Ilford Power Supply (That I know of ) One has the safe light socket on the front and can be switched from 110v or 240V UK. The other, is only 110V. If you get one in from the UK do make sure you turn the dial on the back of it or you will smell something nasty quite quickly.

William Whitaker
2-Aug-2013, 13:20
Is it a voltage stabilizer you want or are you looking for a power supply or perhaps a control head? I've had several of these units and none has come with a voltage stabilizer.

Leigh
2-Aug-2013, 16:42
According to the manual that came with mine, a stabilizer is a recommended accessory but does not come with the unit.

- Leigh