PDA

View Full Version : what is the best way to clean the glass on my scanner?

Darin Cozine
11-Jul-2004, 18:30
what is the best way to clean the glass on my scanner?

I have a canon 1230uf flatbed scanner that I use to scan my 4x5 negatives. The glass has gotten quite dirty with dust and fingerprints. I tried cleaning the glass with windex and a 'lint-free' cloth. It looks clean until I turn on the scanner and i see all the streaks and dust left on the glass.

Any ideas how i can get the glass REALLY REALLY CLEAN??

-Darin

Larry Gebhardt
11-Jul-2004, 19:30
Invisible Glass from the auto parts section and a lint free cloth. Invisible Glass is the best window cleaner that I have found, just don't spray it directly on the scanner.

Andre Noble
11-Jul-2004, 19:54
Kinetronics lens cleaning solution + microfiber type lens cleaning cloth. This will really really clean, with NO streaking.

mark blackman
11-Jul-2004, 23:13
there's one product that's been used to centuries to clean glass; it's dirt cheap, it's environmentally sound and is available world-wide: vinegar. Use a lens cleaning cloth.

John Cook
12-Jul-2004, 03:57
http://invisibleglass.com/

Ken Lee
12-Jul-2004, 05:24
While we are on the subject, what is a good cleaner for coated lenses ?

Will common rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) remove the coating ? Years back, I had some coated eyeglasses, and regular cleaning eventually removed the coating.

Brian Kennedy
12-Jul-2004, 09:03
I like Residual Oil Remover (ROR) and a microfiber cloth, both for lenses and scanner glass.

Ted Harris
12-Jul-2004, 09:23
I have been using a 'LensPen' for several years now and find it far superior to any of the fluid cleaning solutions as long as we are not talking about deep grime. For real grime ROR is the only solution.

Harley Goldman
12-Jul-2004, 16:45
For coated lenses, I love lensclens. http://www.lensclens.com/ . Buy the type of solution made for coated lenses. Put some on a soft cloth, clean the lens, wipe with a soft cloth and you are done, with no streaking. It is the best stuff I have ever come across and it is very kind to lenses. I found out about it on Moose Peterson's website.