PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used red safe light while printing with Ilford Galerie?

John Kasaian
17-Jul-2013, 18:25
Will it work OK as a substitute for OC amber?:confused:

John Kasaian
17-Jul-2013, 21:32
Arrgh! My 'puter won't let me view downloads of data sheets so I did some research. Apparently red will work on graded paper but most all multi-grade paper requires an oc safelight.
So I should be good to go!
The Christmas lights got put away for the year but I have a red Premier safelight for ortho film which I've plugged in---t's a 100% improvement over the GE Guide lamp! The proof of course, is in the pudding (or print!)

John Kasaian
17-Jul-2013, 21:48
This red safe light is fun! I feel like I'm connecting with my inner Weegee :)

Jim Jones
18-Jul-2013, 05:36
Will it work OK as a substitute for OC amber?:confused:

Yes. OC filters pass a wider range of colors including red. This is for improved visibility in the darkroom. Proper red safelight filters are even safer, but less pleasant to work under.

Larry H-L
18-Jul-2013, 07:59
I only have red, haven't had any problems with fog.

Peter Yeti
18-Jul-2013, 13:06
Ilford Galerie fortunately is an old-style paper and extremely resistant against safe-light fogging. You can use red, amber, orange for sure, even green if I recall correctly. I used green way back when and only switched to red because of the vc papers I use as well nowadays.

bob carnie
18-Jul-2013, 13:20
I am using the digital Galerie silver paper, I am ending up with a lot of off cut rolls that I will cut down to size and print some day, this paper is red sensitive so it will have to be done in total darkness like RA4 paper.
I have been watching a few people put paper in pinholes and reverse processing which may make cool one of a kind images.