PDA

View Full Version : Voigtlander plate camera

Łukasz Owsianka
15-Jul-2013, 09:38
Hallo,

I want to ask about Voigtlander plate camera it's a view camera with a small 6x9 cm plate.

A will use it as a daguerreotype camera.

I don't have any film holders for it. My question: Are the holders standarised?

Do Ikon or Agfa 6x9 holder will fit in?

Thanks.
Łukasz

Jac@stafford.net
15-Jul-2013, 10:24
The holders are for plates, but they made sleeves/adapters that go into the plate holder to hold one film.
Picture here. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10239287@N06/2452727844/)

The film is 6.5 x 9cm. I leave it to you to search for some. Best of luck.

(Your camera is either a Maximar or Zeiss Ikon. Same camera.)

Tim Deming
15-Jul-2013, 10:28
Voigtlander used different types of plate holders over the years. Other brands may fit, but you'll have to try them (there are a few "standard" types).

That being said, your camera doesn't look like a Voigtlander brand camera to me

Cheers.

Tim

Łukasz Owsianka
15-Jul-2013, 10:49
I know that it looks different - I bougth it because I never seen anything like this.

The lens is voigtlander anastigmat skopar 1:4,5 10,5cm and on the back of the screen is voigtlander name.

The diameter of the screen is 6x9 cm not 6,5x9 cm

I do not know what it is, maybe some one would tell me.

Jac@stafford.net
15-Jul-2013, 13:06
The diameter of the screen is 6x9 cm not 6,5x9cm

Actual film area exposed is smaller than the film due to the film retaining rails. Your camera's ground glass should be showing what will be in the picture rather than the full film area.

Steven Tribe
15-Jul-2013, 13:27
I don't think this is a Voigtländer either, although it has similarity to the first V.A.G version!
The GG/hooded back from many other German 6.5x9cm from the 20's will fit and yours has come from a busted Voigtländer. This is fortunate for you as you can get plate holders (and film pack holders - which would be good for wetplate) quite easily.
I have just realised that I have never seen a film pack back for 6.5x9cm - just the 9x12cm version - so this may be faulty info!

Jac@stafford.net
15-Jul-2013, 14:29
Mr. Steve Tribe: "I have just realized that I have never seen a film pack back for 6.5x9cm - just the 9x12cm version - so this may be faulty info!"

Are you referring to the multiple-sheet film feeders or the single sheet film holders (which are plate holders with sleeves for film)? If the later, then I have several.

An aside to the OP: Lenses for the Zeiss Ikon or Maximar are interchangeable. They are the same camera. Zeiss acquired Maximar. It could be that someone traded lenses. That is not a bad thing at all as long as they focus the same. Be happy. It is an entirely important and fun camera. Please enjoy! (If you can find film). The lenses shot wide open have swirly bokeh (http://www.digoliardi.net/drake03.jpg), for better or worse. :)

Jac

Steven Tribe
15-Jul-2013, 14:34
The former - I have had lots of half-used packs in them. The tab system always gives up the ghost when I have tried to make new exposures.

Jac@stafford.net
15-Jul-2013, 14:42
The former - I have had lots of half-used packs in them. The tab system always gives up the ghost when I have tried to make new exposures.

I do, too, Steven. Two 9x12 pack feeders in original boxes. I have no clue on how to use them. Silly me.

renes
15-Jul-2013, 15:16
I have and use Voigtlander 6x9 film pack holder as "better" viewing and framing part - I put in it a groud glass - of my 6x9 Bergheil. Have also a few original 6x9 holders but use two Rada roll film back. Actually Bergheil 6x9 is my main camera - it took a little time to get to used to it - it's very light, I adapted about 12 lenses to it including 3 petzvals, 6 1/2" Verito, a few meniscus, Dagors and Artar. I really love it, better than Graflex Century 6x9 I had and sold.

Łukasz Owsianka
16-Jul-2013, 08:57
The size of a whole focus screen is:

76 mm x 120 mm

thickness is 1,5 mm

Film holder should have exact this size.

If someone has got a film holder to fit in please post a picture of it, I will try to find something similar.

Thanks.

Łukasz

Jac@stafford.net
16-Jul-2013, 10:39

From my camera, Zeiss Ikon.
The plate/film holder replaces the ground glass.

Łukasz Owsianka
16-Jul-2013, 10:40
Here is my plate holder with its film holder insert and dark slide.
I have several. Don't know exactly how many yet.

The film holder insert is measured inside and under the film retaining ridges.
The plate/film holder replaces the ground glass.

Hope this helps

Thanks.

P.S.

If you got them more and you want to sell them. I will be happy to buy them. If so just send me a private message.

Tim Deming
16-Jul-2013, 11:36
I have just realised that I have never seen a film pack back for 6.5x9cm - just the 9x12cm version - so this may be faulty info!

They are out there! I even have a film pack back (OEM) for my 4.5x6cm baby Bergheil!

Cheers

Tim

Steven Tribe
16-Jul-2013, 13:05
Lukusz, if you do a thorough search of e**y at the moment, you will find some NOS Kodak 6.5x9cm plate holders with loose sheaths which I believe will fit.
Enough for quite a few people. Use sheath as search word.

Jac@stafford.net
16-Jul-2013, 13:29
Great tip, Steve.

Lukusz - Condition of auction item # 130948104864 is superior to my own.

Łukasz Owsianka
16-Jul-2013, 22:17
Thanks, I love them.

They would be great for my collection.

Two for work, four in to collection

ScottPhotoCo
16-Jul-2013, 23:14
I actually picked up one very similar last weekend and am looking for a plate holder as well. I bought a Rada roll film holder and I'm looking forward to shooting with this! Mine is definitely a Voigtander though I'm not exactly sure which model. It's closest to the Avus as far as I can tell. 6.5 x 9 cm.

Tim Deming
16-Jul-2013, 23:21
Hi Scott

Is your camera marked "Voigtlander" on the camera body itself, such as on the handle or on the inside of the metal drop bed? Your camera also doesn't look like a Voigtlander made camera to me, and I've seen quite a few. Ground glass backs and lenses are easy to swap between cameras, so these are not necessarily proof of a camera vendor. These cameras are 90 years old, and may have had many owners, any of which could have made " improvements"

Cheers

Tim

ScottPhotoCo
17-Jul-2013, 04:56
Hi Tim,

The camera is indeed branded Voigtlander on the ground glass holder. The only other marking on the body itself is GERMANY stamped on the side in the leather.

Tim Deming
17-Jul-2013, 10:56
I would say the ground glass holder is from another camera (a Voigtlander). The metalwork of the lens mount and the knobs on your camera are not Voigtlander. The Avus, Vag, and Bergheil cameras (most all types of these, and there are many - check Claus Prochnow's books (in German, but with pix of all models ad prototypes) ) typically have the Voigtlander name or logo on the drop bed of the camera (under the geared tracks that move out). I really doubt yours has the Voigtlander logo on the camera itself (non exchangeable parts), but if it does, I'd be very interested in seeing more detailed pictures

Cheers

Tim

Jac@stafford.net
17-Jul-2013, 11:12
FWIW, my version is engraved & painted "Zeiss Ikon" on the sliding carriage lock, and imprinted on the outside of the door.
However, imprinted under the leather handle is "Maximar 207/3"

renes
18-Jul-2013, 03:57
Jac, Zeiss 6x9 Maximar was my first plate camera, I was very excited to shot first photos - should have them somewhere. It was equiped the Tessar 105/4.5 lens, actually very good lens. Sold it and bought Bergheil 6x9 to have possibility to change lenses.

FWIW, my version is engraved & painted "Zeiss Ikon" on the sliding carriage lock, and imprinted on the outside of the door.
However, imprinted under the leather handle is "Maximar 207/3"

Łukasz Owsianka
23-Jul-2013, 11:10
Thanks for reply.

I was searching the web and I found and bougth a 9x12 maximar with tessar lens in compur shutter with 3 film holders, 1 pack film holder and 1 holder for 135 roll film - everything in perfect condition.

I could not resist:cool:.

Steven Tribe
23-Jul-2013, 11:20
Well done. The advantage with these late models (after 1926) is that they have larger front standards for the F4.5 tessars and more modern lenses will also fit.

Łukasz Owsianka
8-Aug-2013, 09:07
So I finally got my camera!

the perfect condition Zeiss ikon Maximar 207/7

I got a question:

Do this insert fits my film holder?
http://szlachetnafotografia.com/wkladka-negatywowa-9x12-cm/

Jac@stafford.net
8-Aug-2013, 10:49
That insert should work! Measure to be sure.

Steven Tribe
8-Aug-2013, 12:44
You have a nice plate holder and the velvet seal looks perfect.
Any 9x12cm film sheath will fit.
To be honest, the sheath you are looking at, is rather expensive. I got 12 9x12cm sheaths and 10 1/4 plate sheaths for a total of £0.99 last week.

If you need more plate/film holders, Zeiss Ikon used a size code and good markings on the holder. So it is problem free in connection with ebay purchases.
There are various types of holders and the number will always end in xxx/7 for your size.

Łukasz Owsianka
8-Aug-2013, 13:19
I've got three 665/7 holders but no inserts...

Maybe you know the shop where I can buy the insert cheaper.

Steven Tribe
8-Aug-2013, 16:04
Yes, I do.
PM sent.