PDA

View Full Version : Who is making the Lomochrome Purple 400 film?

alpenhause
15-Jul-2013, 01:30
Ok, The big question, who coated the emulsion, only Kodak, Agfa and Fuji are left in the world who can make color film to the best of my knowledge.....

The Lomography people have kind of let the "Cat" out of the bag so to speak by letting us know the first rolls are going to be delayed a bit for delivery, they tell us the European factory is very busy right now.

Perhaps...... Kodak made the master roll and Maco/Rollei is cutting it down to 35mm and 120 rolls?

I am betting Agfa, Belgium did it! I put out some inquiries today on Flikr to those displaying results from the "Test" rolls put out to the "Buddies" of Lomography, I have asked if the film is "Clear base negative like Rollei CN-200 which is Agfa Aerial color negative film or does it have the usual "orange" color masking of regular color negative film, Do you think these guys will comment about it?

Lomography sources the lion's share of its film from Agfa, next is Kodak, some Fuji?

By law the film packaging must state country of manufacture, on certain Lomography film boxes it says "Made In USA, packaged in Mexico, What does that tell you? some film is made in China, some is made in the E.U., only one color film maker in the E.U., Can You say Agfa? Sure.... I like they way you say that..

The information coming in to this thread will be most fun, as well as the film will be once they get it all packed and shipped, some are looking forward to this event and others well.....

One thing for certain..... whoever gets their Lomochrome Purple 400 rolls first will know who made the film once they read the "Made in...." stamped on the box!

OK, People! Let her Rip!

Please, these findings are just what I have observed so far so don't take this as gospel truth........

alpenhause
16-Jul-2013, 00:28
What if this Lomochrome Purple film really catches on? A forward thinking company may well be talked into offering this unusual film in sheet sizes? After all, Maco Rollei proudly offer the Agfa Infrared film in 4x5

Bob Salomon
16-Jul-2013, 06:17
Ok, The big question, who coated the emulsion, only Kodak, Agfa and Fuji are left in the world who can make color film to the best of my knowledge.....

The Lomography people have kind of let the "Cat" out of the bag so to speak by letting us know the first rolls are going to be delayed a bit for delivery, they tell us the European factory is very busy right now.

Perhaps...... Kodak made the master roll and Maco/Rollei is cutting it down to 35mm and 120 rolls?

I am betting Agfa, Belgium did it! I put out some inquiries today on Flikr to those displaying results from the "Test" rolls put out to the "Buddies" of Lomography, I have asked if the film is "Clear base negative like Rollei CN-200 which is Agfa Aerial color negative film or does it have the usual "orange" color masking of regular color negative film, Do you think these guys will comment about it?

Lomography sources the lion's share of its film from Agfa, next is Kodak, some Fuji?

By law the film packaging must state country of manufacture, on certain Lomography film boxes it says "Made In USA, packaged in Mexico, What does that tell you? some film is made in China, some is made in the E.U., only one color film maker in the E.U., Can You say Agfa? Sure.... I like they way you say that..

The information coming in to this thread will be most fun, as well as the film will be once they get it all packed and shipped, some are looking forward to this event and others well.....

One thing for certain..... whoever gets their Lomochrome Purple 400 rolls first will know who made the film once they read the "Made in...." stamped on the box!

OK, People! Let her Rip!

Please, these findings are just what I have observed so far so don't take this as gospel truth........

Where does Lucky get their color film from?

alpenhause
16-Jul-2013, 09:11
Lucky announced last year that they discontinued production of color film, existing stock for sale now is from the last production run

Bob Salomon
16-Jul-2013, 13:02
Lucky announced last year that they discontinued production of color film, existing stock for sale now is from the last production run

How long do you think that will last? Their web site still lists them as a producer.

alpenhause
22-Jul-2013, 10:31
I just got word from Georg Thaler from Lomography, Georg is in charge of film procurement for Lomography.

The new Lomochrome Purple 400 is designed for ease of processing at your normal C-41 labs.

I know which type of film base it has and Georg has asked me where I would like to show some newer test shots of the Lomochrome Purple 400.

I am awaiting to hear back from Georg to see if he is OK with me posting some newer test shots and if he is OK with me commenting on which type of film base the film is coated on, so far Agfa Belgium does not look like they made the film IMO

alpenhause
24-Jul-2013, 12:52
New film from Ferrania!

Welcome

Hello and welcome to this mailing list.
Just a few words to thank everybody who subscribed, although no more than a single brand is shown at the moment on the Ferrania home page.

We think it is worth answering some questions that often arise on the discussion boards we are also following.

As you know, Ferrania discontinued its photographic products some years ago and after that some buildings and equipments were dismantled or sold because the destiny of film seemed to be compromised forever after introduction of digital. Obviously we dream to put the film in a new era where it can live in symbiosis with digital imaging technologies.

After more than one year of work, we are finally trying to start again with a small production of film. But rescaling a production workflow is not an easy process: some chemical products are not available anymore on the market, former Ferrania workers and engineers must be involved again in a completely new production workflow, etc.

We worked a lot on many of the above issues and now we are proud to say that the moment is arrived of really making film.

Right now there is a six month R&D project aiming to produce a first Jumbo of film. If during this period we are able to solve all the remaining technical issues and if the market gives us a reasonable preliminary feedback, we will be ready to go ahead and ship new film in the first quarter of 2014!

Ok, now the question is: what kind of film?
We think it is better to start revamping the very last produced emulsions. The first two that we will make are a color negative film derived from Ferrania Solaris FG-100 Plus (only for still photographs) and a professional color reversal film derived from Scotch Chrome 100.

And which formats?
We have the equipment to finish film in almost all photographic and motion picture formats: 110, 120, 126, 127, 135, 220, Super 8, Double 8, 16mm, 35mm and 70mm but at first we will put on line only the ones that are requested by the market.

More details are coming, please continue to follow us!

Cheers

The FILM Ferrania team
Copyright © 2013 FILM Ferrania s.r.l., All rights reserved.
You are receiving this mail because you asked for news at our website. Thanks for the interest!

Our mailing address is:
FILM Ferrania s.r.l.
Viale della Libertą, 57
Ferrania - Cairo Montenotte, SV 17014
Italy

Bob Salomon
24-Jul-2013, 12:57
The new Lomochrome Purple 400 is designed for ease of processing at your normal C-41 labs.

If it wasn't it would be almost impossible for a lab to process it. So that is a fairly meaningless statement.

alpenhause
24-Jul-2013, 13:26
If it wasn't it would be almost impossible for a lab to process it. So that is a fairly meaningless statement.

OH Well, The minilabs who perform a leader retreival and then daylight load the 35mm roll into their machines won't have a risk of fogging a Polyester based film.

Both color films from Maco Rollei, CN-200 and CR-200 show way less fogging introduced through the leader when the film cartridges are opened in total darkness for developing.

The Darkroom.com in San Clemente, Ca is aware of this "Light Piping" of Maco/Rollei color films and will perform a "Dip & Dunk" process to cut down on the fogging that occurs with pulling the leader out of the 35mm cartridge and the feeding it into a processor like minilabs do, No extra charge by The Darkroom.com for this special handling.

Once the lab gets the Lomochrome Purple 400 negatives developed they will certainly notice unusual coloring during the printing process, I am just going to instruct my local pro lab to balance the colors to look pleasing at the technition's discretion and see how it works out.

alpenhause
24-Jul-2013, 13:33
New Photos of the new Lomochrome Purple 400 film Provided by Georg Thaler from Lomography!

Enjoy!

polyglot
24-Jul-2013, 17:07
Is it available in sheets? I didn't know Lomo made LF cameras...

alpenhause
29-Jul-2013, 09:48
Here is some interesting news from Georg Thaler from Lomography in Vienna:

Hi Steven

Thanks for reply. Glad you like the shots.

Regarding the source of this film I can tell you one thing, Afga is not making it and it’s really easy in handling, every Lab will be able to process it easily.

Producing sheets and/or special film size like 127 is not planned yet. This is something we might consider a bit later, once we have fed the market with more common formats.

Thanks for forwarding the Ferrania NL, I’m on their mailing-list as well. We are really amazed about this sign of life from Italy. We are very looking forward to get some of their resumed films in some month and let’s see if there will be a cooperation later again.

Supply of our purple films is on schedule. You should get the rolls within the next 1-2 weeks.

Thank you & Kind Regards from superhot Vienna,

Georg

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

lomographic society international

hollergasse 41

1150 vienna

austria

+43189944675

georg.thaler@lomography.com

alpenhause
2-Aug-2013, 17:28
I just recieved "Shipping and Tracking Info" from the Lomography folks, My lomoChrome Purple 400 rolls are set to arrive on August 8th.

Time to set sail for "Mount Diesel Train", it's either Tehachapi Loop or Cajon Pass to see how this unusual film does for railroad photography!

This should be fun! Now.... Should I use my Leica or my Rolleiflex, or.. My Hasselblad? try a few colored filters?

JohnnyGator
6-Aug-2013, 19:11
My package of LomoChrome arrived yesterday, but sadly I sold my Gaoersi 6x12 after I purchased the Travelwide 4x5. Looks like I'm waiting till December to shoot some purple stuff.

StoneNYC
6-Aug-2013, 22:15
My package of LomoChrome arrived yesterday, but sadly I sold my Gaoersi 6x12 after I purchased the Travelwide 4x5. Looks like I'm waiting till December to shoot some purple stuff.

You can send me a roll.. :)

alpenhause
9-Aug-2013, 11:47
The film is orange masked C-41 color print film on acetate base made in Germany for the most part, cross processing in E-6 looks like a waste of time because it is an ordinary orange masked color print film.

The 120 film seems to be cut and Packaged by Foma, it has the black Foma backing paper and spool, I peeled off a sticker to find the white band that holds the film rolled up printed with "Lomography Color Negative 400" Looks like Foma cuts and packs certain other 120 rolls for Lomography, the 35mm size is packed into a reloadable 35mm cartridge with no DX code

Today I have seen 3 auctions on ebay for this film at over twice the price of the pre-order prices, it will be interesting to see if these 3 auctions sell for the exhorbitant prices.

The resulting images will come flying in on the web now that the first lot of rolls have been delivered, Take a look at Flickr, there are no longer any one hour minilabs in Ventura County that I could use, the last reliable ones were using exhausted chemistry so I am going to wait several days for Image Source Ventura to do my rolls, I know they will do it right without nasty surprises.

alpenhause
14-Aug-2013, 00:22
Just Plain Nuts!

Upper shot is usually Agfachrome RSXII for comparison Cross processed in C-41

Hey! wait a minute, look at the Lomochrome Sunset shots of the Union Pacific Railroad, What color are Union Pacific Locomotives? I know that that particular locomotive is a General Motors model SD-70 with a V-16 engine with about 4000 horsepower......

You gotta love custom ordered color films!

alpenhause
21-Aug-2013, 23:07
You know what? I have seen a lot of really stupid labs who could give a rat's ass about making sure this unusual film looks good!

I have been watching on the Lomography website and seeing images submitted that just plain SUCK!

And you know Damn well it is because of Lame Ass stupid minilabs that just did not bother to make an attempt to do any kind of color balancing!

I have played around with scans of Lomochrome Purple film in PhotoShop and have found tremendous potential in the color balance, this unusual film picks up quite a bit of color! It is the stupid lame labs that make this film look like trash!

Image Source of Ventura, California with little to no real coaching about this film's character produced some great images, those that complain about the film being Lame went to a Lame lab!

Pick your lab carefully before you just piss this film off as lame!

It was $20 for my pro lab in Ventura to develop and print my 36 exp roll of LomoChrome Purple, 20 bucks well spent IMO! And... they received very little explanation of this film's character!

alpenhause
30-Aug-2013, 01:15
Last weekend the Tehachapi "Mountain Festival" was in full swing.

Shot this batch of Lomochrome Purple XR-100-400 at ASA 200 with a vintage 1972 Canon F-1 with 24mm FD S.S.C lens and the railroad shots with the rare Canon FD S.S.C 85 to 300mm zoom lens.

These scans are not all that top notch but usinf a high end 35mm SLR makes all the difference with this unusual German made custom film!

A high end camera with high end processing by Image Source of Ventura, Ca and this film hauls ass!

Regular Rod
30-Aug-2013, 02:41
New Photos of the new Lomochrome Purple 400 film Provided by Georg Thaler from Lomography!

Enjoy!

Oh Dear...

They need not have bothered.

RR

alpenhause
2-Sep-2013, 21:58
Ohh!! LomoChrome! It gives me the bright weird colors of summer! Mama Don't Take My LomoChrome Away-Ayy, Mama Don't Take My LomoChrome Away-Ayy!

StoneNYC
6-Sep-2013, 22:43
Last weekend the Tehachapi "Mountain Festival" was in full swing.

Shot this batch of Lomochrome Purple XR-100-400 at ASA 200 with a vintage 1972 Canon F-1 with 24mm FD S.S.C lens and the railroad shots with the rare Canon FD S.S.C 85 to 300mm zoom lens.

These scans are not all that top notch but usinf a high end 35mm SLR makes all the difference with this unusual German made custom film!

A high end camera with high end processing by Image Source of Ventura, Ca and this film hauls ass!

I'll say your images are way better then the ones on the Lomo sight, that said I don't really find these appealing, probably won't ever shoot it.

PS want a 50mm 1.4 S.S.C. ? PM me

alpenhause
6-Sep-2013, 23:23
Hey Stone, Many Thanks! Lomochrome Purple is an aquired taste, lots more experimentation to do, shooting this film in a high end camera makes all the difference, Up in the Tehachapi Loop region it has brought good color rendition to a dried out desert situation that just looks dull and drab on normal film, I think once winter and spring sets in with real green foliage it will look even better, after all Tehachapi is in the desert.

I have six FD 50mm f1.4 SSC lenses, most I refurbished because they tend to have sticking diaphragms, hence they were purchase rather inexpensively off ebay, I have that remedial procedure down real good for repairing those lenses, these leses are just as good as a Zeiss Planar IMO