PDA

View Full Version : Crown Graphlex, cracked ground glass

illumin8em
14-Jul-2013, 13:19
Howdy folks,

I am hoping to purchase a Crown Graphlex 4x5 soon, but was now informed that the ground glass has a crack. For $150, I am wondering if this would stil be worth the investment? Thanks for any help.
Here is the description

"The bellows is in perfect
condition, not sure about light leaks but it seems very tight all around,
The ground glass is cracked about 1 inch up from the bottom right hand edge
and it extends in a semi- circular downward shape to about 1 1/4 inches to
the bottom left side. No tears, no rips, no stains, a few surface scratches
where the film holders were pulled out of and replaced."

Steven Tribe
14-Jul-2013, 14:54
Visit graflex.org!
Cameras are generally not a very sensible "investment".
General condition is far more important than a damaged Ground Glass, which can be virtually free to replace if you have just a few manual skills.

Otto Seaman
14-Jul-2013, 15:05
I'd pass, $150 for a clean Crown Graphic without lens is reasonable price so be patient and several more will come along over the next few weeks.

Changing the Ground Glass is only four screws holding two clips. But if the camera was set up for a fresnel, the position of the ground glass will be different depending on whether or not the fresnel is used. Many home-DIY repair jobs didn't know any better or wouldn't bother to do a film focus test, so I'd shy away from anything that wasn't in great to perfect cosmetic condition. They are plentiful and inexpensive cameras so be choosey.

illumin8em
14-Jul-2013, 17:16
Thanks for the advice so far folks

Visit graflex.org!
Cameras are generally not a very sensible "investment".
General condition is far more important than a damaged Ground Glass, which can be virtually free to replace if you have just a few manual skills.

None of the things I seem to be interested in are sensible investments, I was looking more for dependable, or some other adjective.

I'd pass, $150 for a clean Crown Graphic without lens is reasonable price so be patient and several more will come along over the next few weeks.

It does have a lens, 135mm I believe, if that would sway your opinion. Unfortunately, in my area (WV) not much of anything shows up of what I am looking for. I had waited a long time for a Crown Grafex to be available within a couple of hours, and this one is still 2 hrs away. I am not familiar with the issues using fresnal lens. I will try to find more info.

Jim Jones
14-Jul-2013, 19:08
Driving two hours and returning home would cost me a fair fraction of the cost of some useable Crown Graphics on ebay in driving expenses. Better bargains should appear.

Liquid Artist
14-Jul-2013, 22:44
After you've been a member on here for a month, you'll have access to the buy and sell forum on this board.
It has more cameras than you can imagine, and most of the sellers are knowledgeable, and fair priced. They often even include shipping within their country.
If I was in your shoes I would just wait and look there.

IanG
15-Jul-2013, 00:37
$150 is an excellent price with a lens, a new screen isn't musch at all. $15 maximum plus postage.

Ian

Steven Tribe
15-Jul-2013, 01:47
Looks quite a clean, untampered with, model with original solenoid fitted. Some later Crowns were fitted with a combination GG/fresnel screen (not your model, though!) to improve the GG image. The side mounted viewfinder (not used by a lot of people these days) will almost certainly need renovation - adjustment and beam splitter renewal. The Speed model with focal plane shutter is often to be preferred as an enormous range of barrel lenses can be used.

IanG
15-Jul-2013, 04:02
I'd add that the original Graflex ground glass screens aren't that bright, a replacement can make a significant difference and it's possible to add a fresnel screen as well although it needs to be on the rear (towards the photographer) of the screen, you need to shim the clips that hold the screen or the focus hood won't lock in place securely.

Ian

BrianShaw
15-Jul-2013, 06:39
$150 is an excellent price with a lens, a new screen isn't musch at all. $15 maximum plus postage.

That's what I was thinking!

You might need to buy a pair of infinity stops (I don't see any in the pics), but that's just another $15.

BrianShaw
15-Jul-2013, 06:44
The side mounted viewfinder (not used by a lot of people these days) will almost certainly need renovation - adjustment and beam splitter renewal.

Not to quibble, but I know more people who use a rangefinder than don't. It is a very sueful tool. They are surprisingly durable and may be usable as is.

goamules
15-Jul-2013, 07:13
Ask the seller to meet you half way! Then it's not a bad drive, and not a bad price! All the Kalart rangefinders I've used on Graflex cameras worked fine with no repairs needed. They last and last and last...

IanG
15-Jul-2013, 07:54
Ask the seller to meet you half way! Then it's not a bad drive, and not a bad price! All the Kalart rangefinders I've used on Graflex cameras worked fine with no repairs needed. They last and last and last...

All 4 of mine need refurbishing (two are spares), just a new semi-silvered beam spitting mirror though, so I think you've been lucky. I already have the glass it just needs cutting.

Ian

Kevin Crisp
15-Jul-2013, 08:23
Seems like a good price, a very good price. Replacing the GG is not a big deal. It looks unmolested and has the side rangefinder, which I prefer.

Michael Graves
16-Jul-2013, 05:00
I'm going to disagree with Otto (no offense intended, Otto). If it was in my area, I would buy as you describe in a heartbeat for that price. You can probably shoot with the cracked GG forever. But if you are like me and annoy easily, a few sheckels will get you an amazingly good replacement from Steve Hopf.

Peter_Jones
16-Jul-2013, 14:05
I have to say, it seems a decent price - you can either put up with or replace the glass, and when you go to buy it take a camera with you then you can also have a photographic day out :)

dsphotog
16-Jul-2013, 16:41
Looks good to me, I'd give $150 for it.
Run the shutter through the range of speeds, if it has problems, offer $100-125.
Although $150 is not bad even without a lens.
Just get a more modern lens.

Otto Seaman
16-Jul-2013, 17:58
Hey I told him it wasn't that great a deal for one without a lens, before he showed photos of it with a lens included. The lens is worth $50-$75. I'd probably get it too with the caution about determining whether there is or was a fresnel or not, and how that changes the position of the replacement ground glass.

illumin8em
17-Jul-2013, 11:28
The Speed model with focal plane shutter is often to be preferred as an enormous range of barrel lenses can be used.

Would this be considered a step up in camera? I knew the name, but honestly didn't realize it was 4x5, I though it made smaller negative

Otto Seaman
17-Jul-2013, 11:39
It's a step up if you want to use shutterless lenses. Otherwise it is heavier and more complicated, so if you don't need the shutter, don't carry it. Prices seem equal more or less.

Shootar401
17-Jul-2013, 12:52
$150 is pushing the price IMO for a crown without a lens, if it was a Speed I would say get it.

IanG
17-Jul-2013, 14:26
$150 is pushing the price IMO for a crown without a lens, if it was a Speed I would say get it.

The OP has stated it does have a lens. $150 is a good price without alens - you need to see what they sell for in Europe :D

Ian

Hiruma Youchi
17-Jul-2013, 20:20
I'm glad someone mentioned something about the buy and sell forum. Maybe you can get a better deal there.

Buying a nikon dslr camera (http://bakod.net/the-ultimate-guide-in-buying-nikon-dslr-camera-bag/)doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner.

illumin8em
18-Jul-2013, 07:33
I'm glad someone mentioned something about the buy and sell forum. Maybe you can get a better deal there.

Buying a nikon dslr camera (http://bakod.net/the-ultimate-guide-in-buying-nikon-dslr-camera-bag/)doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner.

I am not able to view the buy & sell yet. Are you? It appears we have joined around the same time.

goamules
18-Jul-2013, 13:38
For those that say 150 is too much, I sold a Crown (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?103491-4x5-CROWN-GRAPHIC-Kit-135-4-7-Optar-Flash-case-film&highlight=crown) with the regular Optar kit on this forum a few weeks ago. For $400! And the buyer was thrilled.

Otto Seaman
18-Jul-2013, 14:52
Exploiter. Congrats.

goamules
18-Jul-2013, 17:34
What part of "the buyer was thrilled" did you not understand? He has a bunch of them, and didn't mind paying more for a good one from a known photographer/seller who offers a guarantee. Go call names at someone else.

illumin8em
22-Jul-2013, 16:38
Well folks, thanks for the help. The seller has become a ghost, and not replied to my email. Either I was not fast enough, or he became tired of replying after 4 email exchanges. Heck maybe a forum member saw the post and tracked the seller down and beat me to it, or perhaps he is a member here and saw this thread, and has changed his mind about something.

Either way, thanks for all the input everyone. I can tell this place is going to become a regular stop for me.