PDA

View Full Version : Cable release socket broken off......

vinny
14-Jul-2013, 11:56
98790my old 165mm super angulon, the big one in the black/silver shutter. The cable release socket is missing/broken off (previous owner) and I've been able to use it by hot gluing a cable release in position (ugly and has come loose more than once). Anyone have a replacement that will fit these holes? Long shot, I know. I do have a milling machine.

vinny
15-Jul-2013, 08:04
here are the specs for cable release threads. Tapping a hole to match takes some gear I don't have.
http://s274.photobucket.com/user/Glennza/media/CableReleaseLarge.jpg.html

Jac@stafford.net
15-Jul-2013, 08:19
Perhaps you could mount a Linhof Quick Socket to the board. The Socket's pin could go into the hole, once the screw is removed.

This is another Linhof part (http://www.linhofstudio.com/catalogue/dbimages/Angled_Sync_Socket_Linhof_Studio_(600_x_578)_a1304.jpg) that might work once mounted.

Bob Salomon
15-Jul-2013, 08:38
This is another Linhof part (http://www.linhofstudio.com/catalogue/dbimages/Angled_Sync_Socket_Linhof_Studio_(600_x_578)_a1304.jpg) that might work once mounted.

That is a picture of a Right Angle PC tip for flash synch when the lens is mounted in a recessed lens board. It has nothing to do with a cable release. It is also for a Copal shutter, not a Compur.

When I packaged and sent the repair parts at Marflex up to Nippon there was a box of Compur spare parts - also a box of Copal spare parts - Nippon might have the part that you are looking for.

evan clarke
15-Jul-2013, 09:01
here are the specs for cable release threads. Tapping a hole to match takes some gear I don't have.
http://s274.photobucket.com/user/Glennza/media/CableReleaseLarge.jpg.html

The original spec is a US government spec for these threads. I have been trying to buy a stock tap for about a year and it doesn't exist in the world. I'm gonna have to have some ground to order. When I do, I'll get a dozen.

Jac@stafford.net
15-Jul-2013, 09:45
For a socket, perhaps trimming down the right wirenut would work?

vinny
16-Jul-2013, 12:14
Anyone know a similar socket that'll fit. Bob, I'll contact those guys.

vinny
16-Jul-2013, 16:03
Nippon said it cannot be repaired because the shutter housing is broken. ??? Looks like a straightforward fix if I had the part. I'll make the part tapped with 6-32 threads for now. Evan, I'll take one of those taps. Or two, I tend to brake taps.

evan clarke
16-Jul-2013, 16:28
For sure, Vinny..

Tin Can
16-Jul-2013, 17:09
Evan,

When you make these taps, please get some prepaid pre orders here. I need one also.

Thanks!

The original spec is a US government spec for these threads. I have been trying to buy a stock tap for about a year and it doesn't exist in the world. I'm gonna have to have some ground to order. When I do, I'll get a dozen.

Tin Can
16-Jul-2013, 17:13
I have a similar type problem with an Ilex 5 that is missing the cable release insert from the housing, it appears the insert was either epoxied or a press fit into a bushing on my several Ilex shutters.

Any ideas?

ic-racer
16-Jul-2013, 17:20
Many free non-working 35mm camera bodies will have a shutter button with those threads. In many cases the button falls right out when you take the top of the camera off. You can then devise a way to mount the button on your shutter; some sort of flange with ears for screws or such.

Tin Can
16-Jul-2013, 17:25
Good thinking, I must start collecting more junk for parts...

Seriously, a good idea!

Many free non-working 35mm camera bodies will have a shutter button with those threads. In many cases the button falls right out when you take the top of the camera off. You can then devise a way to mount the button on your shutter; some sort of flange with ears for screws or such.

Photomagica
21-Jul-2013, 23:22
I've done several repairs using a 6-32 tap, and the result provides a secure socket for the cable release. To try for a better result, I did one with a #4 tapping hole and tapped it 4-40. Then I enlarged the end of the hole with a 6-40 tap. This provided a bit of taper and finer threads. It worked well. Brass is a good material to use for the replacement socket.

DrTang
24-Jul-2013, 09:15
real old cable releases aren't tapered - they are straight

tapping for one of them might be easier

Tin Can
24-Jul-2013, 09:44
Thanks, I forgot that, but I forget a lot of things.

Jac@stafford.net
24-Jul-2013, 10:13
How about one of those cable release adapters for cameras without a cable socket?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/109447-REG/Kaiser_206154_Cable_Release_Adapter_Strap_On.html

Tin Can
24-Jul-2013, 10:20
I knew of those, I wonder if it would work on an Ilex V? The Ilex needs a lot push and distance. Mine is missing the insert entirely, it must have popped out.

How about one of those cable release adapters for cameras without a cable socket?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/109447-REG/Kaiser_206154_Cable_Release_Adapter_Strap_On.html

ic-racer
24-Jul-2013, 11:02

Also, current Bolex cable releases (are not tapered.)

Bob Salomon
24-Jul-2013, 11:04
I knew of those, I wonder if it would work on an Ilex V? The Ilex needs a lot push and distance. Mine is missing the insert entirely, it must have popped out.

Thanks for the plug. We appreciate it!
But this is designed to fire a point and shoot, or other small camera, that does not have a mechanical cable release socket. It accepts a standard cable release (preferably a Kaiser, Gepe or Linhof) and when you push in on the cable release a small, round button will then press on the shutter release on the camera body.
Fully extended the button is ±2.59mm long. It is also 5.45mm in diameter. So this button is not designed to fire a view camera shutter. The largest useable diameter that it can mount to is about 4", any longer then that and there is not enough hook and loop material to grip tight enough to resist the push of the cable release and the camera's shutter release button.The hook and loop material is 3.5" long so there is a good amount of adjustment possible.

But please, if you have a camera that can use these, buy it!

Tin Can
24-Jul-2013, 11:13
Bob,

I think you need to write the ad copy, as your description is far more clear than the copy on B&H!

This item is on my list, it's a long list.

I continue to look for a DIY Ilex cable socket repair.

Thanks!

Thanks for the plug. We appreciate it!
But this is designed to fire a point and shoot, or other small camera, that does not have a mechanical cable release socket. It accepts a standard cable release (preferably a Kaiser, Gepe or Linhof) and when you push in on the cable release a small, round button will then press on the shutter release on the camera body.
Fully extended the button is ±2.59mm long. It is also 5.45mm in diameter. So this button is not designed to fire a view camera shutter. The largest useable diameter that it can mount to is about 4", any longer then that and there is not enough hook and loop material to grip tight enough to resist the push of the cable release and the camera's shutter release button.The hook and loop material is 3.5" long so there is a good amount of adjustment possible.

But please, if you have a camera that can use these, buy it!

Bob Salomon
24-Jul-2013, 11:17
Bob,

I think you need to write the ad copy, as your description is far more clear than the copy on B&H!

This item is on my list, it's a long list.

I continue to look for a DIY Ilex cable socket repair.

Thanks!

Randy,

Good luck, but I did write what they have up. It is copied from one of our older price lists. What I wrote here is probably too complicated for many of the people looking for one of these for their camera.