PDA

View Full Version : Lens Flange Damage: How to un-bend?

Joe Ortola
9-Jul-2013, 23:31
Hello, I am sure that many in this forum have experienced an accidential mishap whereby your precious lens slipped and fell only to to damage to the front element flange. I did not drop my lens but had received it in this "damaged" condition from shipment just recently. Contributing factors were rough handling by DHL/ USPS and inadequate protection in packageing. The damage will now prevent a filter to be screwed onto the flange to go in front of the front lens element. Has anyone of you attempted to "un-bend" a dented-in flange successfully and do so without damage to the filter threads or the front lens element? Is there a professional source out there that can "fix" the problem? Any suggestions would be most greatly appreciated. Thanks.

el french
9-Jul-2013, 23:45
IIRC, SK Grimes does this type of repair. You may be able to reshape it using a piece of wood and tapping on it with a small hammer.

Leigh
10-Jul-2013, 01:02
There is a special tool made for this purpose.
Micro-Tools sells it, but they're currently out of stock. http://www.micro-tools.com/store/P-LV1/Lens-Filter-Ring-Vise.aspx

Any camera repair shop should have one.

- Leigh

ataim
10-Jul-2013, 07:07
Googled "Lens Filter Ring Vise " and found lots to choose from.

fecaleagle
10-Jul-2013, 08:31
eBay has them for cheap from a number of sellers.

r_a_feldman
10-Jul-2013, 13:42
It’s not an elegant solution, but I have used a wood anvil and punch to pound out the dent in a filter ring on an Olympus Pen FT lens. I first cut a curved depression, the same diameter as the outside of the filter ring, in a piece of ¾” oak. I then cut a positive curve, the same diameter as the inside of the ring, on the end of a 1” x ¼” x about 6” piece of oak. I positioned the lens in the first piece and tapped the dent out using the second piece as the punch.

Bob

Kevin Crisp
10-Jul-2013, 13:44
Go slowly, the material can be very brittle.

Simon Benton
10-Jul-2013, 14:24
The ring vise does a great job but I always put a piece of thin rubber over the jaws to minimize marring.

Joe Ortola
10-Jul-2013, 22:42
Thank you all for the great suggestions. It is so nice to have the resources and experience of all of you that have responded in this forum. To all of you my dearest appreciation.
All the best,
Joe

Joe Ortola
10-Jul-2013, 22:50
Thank you Leigh for that lead. I assume the tool will not damage the very fine metal threads.

Leigh
10-Jul-2013, 22:59
I assume the tool will not damage the very fine metal threads.
No thread damage. They're designed for the job.

- Leigh