PDA

View Full Version : Camera build, Idiot check time

DKirk
8-Jul-2013, 07:12
So, slowly progressing on the design and build of a 10x8 camera. Just looking for a little assistance for parts sources.

Bellows - either Camera/Custombellows.com or ebay or self build.
Body materials - Toyo 45G front standard (spare, and for sake of compatability with exising lenses easily), Oak (because it's on hand) and Maple
GG - again straightforward DIY

However I'm stumped where to get the brassware/metalware and other hardware for the build. Can anyone advise, of where to get these parts, ideally UK or Europe based to avoid the double whammy of Customs charges and VAT. . .

Tempted now to make the base board that little bit wider and longer to facilitate later modification to the back to upgrade to 12x16. . .

redshift
8-Jul-2013, 08:29
I'd use cherry if you can get it. I've been told that it moves very little with changes in humidity. McMaster Carr is a good source of multi -purpose hardware. Don't know if it's available on your side of the pond. Internet may tell you.

jp
8-Jul-2013, 09:37
Look on ebay at how some of the pinholes are made without brass. Cammed wood to hold filmholders, elastics, etc...

DKirk
8-Jul-2013, 10:56
Cheers, though it will need some basic metalwork for some supports and rails, or if I can aquire a 8x10 back I'd be sorted.

VPooler
8-Jul-2013, 11:09
Aluminium profile does wonders. I got some for my camera from a local hardware store for peanuts. They even carried a channel profile exactly the thickness of a DDS.

el french
9-Jul-2013, 23:57
The best and least expensive is to make them yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-srm2k_1hn4 If you can't find the profiles you need in hobby shops then another option would be to make a pattern and have a commercial foundry cast it for you. It may not be as expensive as you think.

Steve Smith
10-Jul-2013, 00:39
Most of the brass hardware can be made from 1/8" brass sheet or bar. If you have a hacksaw and a set of files and drills... or you can cheat like me and use a CNC router!

Steve.

DKirk
10-Jul-2013, 02:20
Most of the brass hardware can be made from 1/8" brass sheet or bar. If you have a hacksaw and a set of files and drills... or you can cheat like me and use a CNC router!

Steve.
Alas, I don't have a CNC router so it'll be a log job, though currently watching a few ebay auctions for some plate cameras that are in bits. . . We can rebuild him, better, stronger, faster. . .

redshift
10-Jul-2013, 10:09
There is a lot of Deardorf stuff on the bay. Metal parts, side brackets, knobs corner braces etc. There is also a kodak camera in 3 parts, bellows, front standard, back standard. I think they are $88.40 each, buy it now.

Steve Smith
10-Jul-2013, 10:21
Alas, I don't have a CNC router. . .

There's still my other option!

Steve.

Light Guru
10-Jul-2013, 10:46

There are also all sorts of dremmel attachments that you could use.

DKirk
10-Jul-2013, 11:05
There is a lot of Deardorf stuff on the bay. Metal parts, side brackets, knobs corner braces etc. There is also a kodak camera in 3 parts, bellows, front standard, back standard. I think they are $88.40 each, buy it now.

Keeping an eye on them, but still have to factor in customs charges and an extra 20% on top for VAT

DKirk
10-Jul-2013, 23:27
This looks helpful now http://www.rpmechatronics.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=472_475

klw
11-Jul-2013, 00:53
I usually buy brass and aluminium sheets etc. from a metal store. They offer a much larger variety for less money than hobby stores
and also cut material to size for a small fee :)

I also found some merchants on ebay that offer nuts, bolts and screws for reasonable prices.

Matthias

John Koehrer
14-Jul-2013, 12:15
For corner braces and the like you don't need thick brass. Maybe 1/32" less than 1mm(1/25") in any case.
design work and you go to a jewelers saw and elbow grease. Accurate bending though you may find it easiest to build a small bending brake. There are a number of articles online, most are far too large for your work but the DIY's can be scaled down very easily.

Then you can begin a garage business making this stuff for others. :)

DKirk
15-Jul-2013, 01:21

Won these parts, so I have now have a patient requiring reconstructive surgery. . .

DKirk
15-Jul-2013, 04:43
Accurate bending though you may find it easiest to build a small bending brake.

Hmm may have to take a punt on this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Miter-cutting-vise-jig-saw-swiss-style-watch-band-joint-tubes-jewellers-Tools-/231009108037?pt=UK_Crafts_JewelleryMaking_GL&hash=item35c9374045

DannL
15-Jul-2013, 06:22

Won these parts, so I have now have a patient requiring reconstructive surgery. . .

Looks like a plate camera very similar to one I posted in the show-off-your-camera-section. One piece I can't account for in your picture is the base to the front standard. If missing, it should be easy enough to fabricate. If you need pictures of what mine looks like, that part specifically, just pm.

IanG
15-Jul-2013, 06:34

I had intending bidding on those parts but figured the price was too high for me at £28 as I already have two focus beds and other parts, both whole-plate. There should be enough to make a start there though. The track rails and gearing itself is expensive to buy new in the UK.

Last month I bought some parts sold as Camera parts but in fact remants of an enlarger which will give me similar vintage wood to fabricate missing pieces but I'm always after more . . . . . . .

I've fabricated quite a few missing parts now and regularly make new lens boards etc as well as front standards.

Ian

andrewbrown
19-Jul-2013, 08:54
Hi,
I don't have a CNC Router either, but 1/16th brass sheet cuts with a hacksaw and drills OK too ! I am adding a picture of these brass pieces which will allow the rising front and side to side movement of the lens panel.

SRB-Griturn in Dunstable are going to make me 2 adapter thingys, I hope, so I can use the 3 lenses I have in the same mount which seems economical in the long run. I've ordered a few knurled nuts off the web, but I have no idea whether they will be the right size!

This picture shows the brass thingys
Andy.

IanG
19-Jul-2013, 10:29
Andy welcome. Could you PM me details of where you bought the Knurled knobs.

Ian

DKirk
20-Jul-2013, 01:52

Slightly better photos (though taken on a camera phone. . .) of the donor camera - after a thorough assesment a lot of the wood is split or warped. However bar a few missing knobs and clips the brassware is complete. Surprisingly though the bellows are remarkably free of leaks, bar where the glue has come away from the frames.

So considering my options,

1, rebuild as a whole plate camera - wood thickness is 6mm apart from the rails which come in a 13.54mm - just a little thicknessing required of the 19mm thick maple I've got to hand. . .

2, use brassware to build a new 10x8 camera, so I'd need where the wood meets brass to be 6mm - will this be stable enough for a 10x8 camera or will I need to build in a subframe to strengthen it up? And If so hopefully there may be some lengths of white oak spare after the complete home renovation in Fife - would using Oak cause any significant problems with warping when supporting maple?

Leaning more to option 2, but I'd appreciate any advice or comments at this early stage.

IanG
20-Jul-2013, 02:43
You're missing the main body part of the camera, the bit the back and bellows attch to. I'd find some old mahogany to make that part, you can either use the existing plate back or make a second to take modern DDS film holders. It would be a shame to use wood that isn't a close match.

There's brass work missing that you'll need to fabricate.

Ian

IanG
20-Jul-2013, 04:03
That's too small to make a 10x8 camera, I just realised that's a Half plate back and bellows etc.

Ian

DKirk
20-Jul-2013, 05:42
Cheers Ian, I realise that now. Slightly bummed due to seller completly ignoring any communication whatsoever prior to auction close so rekon a dispute will have to be raised.
Following the other posts the brasswork should be straight forward.
Couple of catalogues arrived from http://www.automotioncomponents.co.uk and looks lke some of the products they provide could come in handy, perhaps not for this build but for the next one. . .

andrewbrown
26-Jul-2013, 01:53
@IanG,

That is nowhere near as simple as I thought !
The knurled knobs/ threaded thumbscrews are not now easily findable in Imperial sizes, and the ones I bought are completely wrong !! being too small and Metric.
The search is on for an old fashioned ironmonger.

Andy.

IanG
26-Jul-2013, 02:30
Andy, the best way to get thumb screws ist t get them made for you. I was given a business card at a flea market two months ago by a Clock restorer he gets parts in brass made of an old alloy which is cast specially, presumably has more copper and less zinc. The card disappeared but I'll try an internet search (I'll recognise his website), he was making some parts himself but used a machine shop in Gloucestershire for some turned parts.

I did a quick search of my history and found the name & number, I'll call him.

I've bought some Thumbscrews from Ebay, all metric but I'll re-tap or make new plates - I need them for a tilting tripod platform and although old it was home made but the threads are stripped.

Ian

IanG
26-Jul-2013, 02:46
Quick update, I've made contact and have two weeks to email details of what I'm after as he goes away tonight on holiday. As a clock restorer though he's after auntenticity (his restorations are rather up-market).

Ian

andrewbrown
26-Jul-2013, 15:15
Hi Ian,
I'm going to the Fulham Road next week to a very posh sounding Ironmongers who say they have lots of Imperial bits and pieces. we'll see.

As you say, they can be made and if I find any, as long as they are too big, then could they be tapped down to the existing insert size?

Andy.

IanG
27-Jul-2013, 03:52
Andy, if you find some in the Fulham road could you get some extras for me please. It might be possibel to take them down in size but a lot would depend on the thread etc.

There's always a stall at the flea market I go to with a lot of brass hardware but so far I've had no luck, I'm there again tomorrow.

Ian

andrewbrown
29-Jul-2013, 10:40
Hi,
Having to delay the Fulham Rd till later in the week...but what size were you wanting, Ian? If they have any!

Andy.

IanG
30-Jul-2013, 07:22
Hi,
Having to delay the Fulham Rd till later in the week...but what size were you wanting, Ian? If they have any!

Andy.

I'm after an assortment really I've just bought some 2BA which were perfect for the tripod tilt block I was restoring, similar to those in your photo would be fine, but slightly smaller & a touch larger as well.

Ian