PDA

View Full Version : Riverside California Printing Workshop September

bob carnie
8-Jul-2013, 06:31
I would like to announce a printing workshop that I will be giving in early September.
These workshops will be on split contrast printing on silver paper using a variety of methods I have learned over the years.

My wife and I will be exhibiting our work at M56 Gallery , the opening will be Saturday September 7th.

you can see details on the workshop here http://defendthedarkroom.ca/upcoming-workshops/bob-carnie-at-m56-gallery-in-riverside-california/

I hope to see some of you at the workshops and of course at our opening.

ghostcount
8-Jul-2013, 13:43
I'd love to go but any plans for a Saturday and Sunday workshop?

bob carnie
8-Jul-2013, 14:26
Sunday Monday as Saturday is our opening show date.

I'd love to go but any plans for a Saturday and Sunday workshop?

Frank_E
8-Jul-2013, 15:18
I did a very similar workshop (the description seems the same) with Bob in Toronto
at the Gallery 44 facilities (Gallery 44 is a co-op), several years ago
he is an excellent teacher (and a fun guy), and you will learn a lot
our workshop was also a two day affair
I walked away with five very nice 11x14 fiber prints, several toned, developed from 4x5 negatives which I brought to the workshop

Bob good luck with the opening, sorry I can't be there to see it

gene LaFord
8-Jul-2013, 17:18
Great news Bob, and good luck on the exhibit. I guess I was in the Los Angeles area six months too soon!

gene

matthew blais
9-Jul-2013, 10:11
Looking forward to having Bob and Laura's work on display here.
Hope to see many of you at the opening.. and for the workshops

Dan Dozer
9-Jul-2013, 14:15
Bob,

What size negatives will you be prepared to work with? I shoot primarily 8 x 10, but I think Matt's darkroom only accommodates negatives up to 4 x 5.

bob carnie
9-Jul-2013, 14:30
I am limited by the enlarger, I spend a lot of time with percentage printing so dodging and burning is very important to laying down tone, so for this workshop contact prints will not be appropriate. Since my methods work on my enlargers , I have 8x10 and 11x14 so the principles will be the same for large and small format negatives, basically some small changes in the starting points, and as well the type of look you are after is important.

so I think it does not matter if we use your smaller neg's as you will be immediately be able to apply them to your enlarger and workspace when you get home.

I am actually very comfortable with any format for this workshop from 35-4x5 as long as Matt has 4x5 glass carriers I can adapt.

matthew blais
9-Jul-2013, 15:08
Dan you have time to blow the dust off that 4x5 and shoot a few :)
Bob, I have carriers for all sizes up to 4x5 and a newton glass that I use 99% of the time..

Dan Dozer
9-Jul-2013, 17:44
Bob - I agree with your thought on contact prints. I don't normally do contact printing so your methods wouldn't help me much unless we were enlarging negs. Let me look into the 4 x 5 negs that I do have. I can probably come up with a couple that will work, or I could get out and shoot more with the "little camera". Matt's right in that there is still plenty of time to do some more shooting before September. This is something I might like to sign up for. Need to look at my schedule and finances a little more, but I'm seriously considering it.

Dan

Michael Clark
9-Jul-2013, 18:44
Sent in deposit, be good to might you Bob,and what a great Idea Matt for your Gallery. Like to attend the Sunday Monday class.

Mike

Michael Clark
9-Jul-2013, 18:46
Matt, paypal added and extra $20 for shipping , will this go towards the balance?

Mike

bob carnie
10-Jul-2013, 05:51
There should be no extra shipping charge, I am sure Matt will look into it.

Thanks for signing up Micheal and Dan I hope you do as well.
We are working very hard hear right now preparing for the show, it is a lot of work but great fun.

matthew blais
10-Jul-2013, 06:47
Got your paypal deposit Mike and I don't know why the $20 was added, I'll redo the button link. And yes, it will be applied of course. Thanks.

Michael Clark
10-Jul-2013, 09:27
Thanks Matt, I might have pushed the wrong button when making payment.

Mike

Dan Dozer
10-Jul-2013, 12:24
OK - I'm all signed up. Matt/Bob - can you put me down for the Sunday/Monday time slot?

Thanks,

Dan

bob carnie
10-Jul-2013, 12:38
It will be great to meet both you and Micheal

shoot some 4x5 dude.

OK - I'm all signed up. Matt/Bob - can you put me down for the Sunday/Monday time slot?

Thanks,

Dan

matthew blais
10-Jul-2013, 14:31
So: two slots filled, two slots open for the Sunday/Monday workshop Sept. 8&9

4 open slots for Thursday/Friday Sept 5&6

matthew blais
15-Jul-2013, 12:11
Received deposit for another attendee for the Sunday/Monday workshop.

One spot open for Sept 8&9, 4 spots open for Sept 5&6

matthew blais
18-Jul-2013, 07:08
Just a bump to keep this from getting buried

bob carnie
18-Jul-2013, 07:26
Thanks Matthew, I am in the midst of printing the show prints right now for Laura and I , we may have a quick preview open house here in Toronto before it all gets crated, Road trip to California is being planned to bring the framed prints, hope to see Vindaloo Dave on my way in or out, I believe he is on a direct path to Riverside from TO.

Erik Larsen
18-Jul-2013, 07:43
Hey Bob, if you drive through Grand junction Colorado on your way to or from Matt's place how bout giving me a workshop:) I wish I could attend the workshop at M56 and see the show - it looks to be a good time.

bob carnie
18-Jul-2013, 08:13
Well if you can get one or two others I can see stopping and spreading the Gospel for a nominal fee of course, I am aiming the chuck wagon west, how I get there is the fun. I am bringing my installer with me so I am sure he could find something to do for an extra day in Colorado.

Hey Bob, if you drive through Grand junction Colorado on your way to or from Matt's place how bout giving me a workshop:) I wish I could attend the workshop at M56 and see the show - it looks to be a good time.

Erik Larsen
18-Jul-2013, 13:29
Well if you can get one or two others I can see stopping and spreading the Gospel for a nominal fee of course, I am aiming the chuck wagon west, how I get there is the fun. I am bringing my installer with me so I am sure he could find something to do for an extra day in Colorado.

I'll see if I can find any interest Bob. I'm in kind of a film photography desert out here. I'm the only darkroom worker I know of in the area. I'm sure I can find you a cheap bed at the local homeless shelter if you need and add a little to the gas fund:)

bob carnie
18-Jul-2013, 13:37
Wow thats the best offer I had this week, you a gem Erik the chuck wagon has it limits .

I'll see if I can find any interest Bob. I'm in kind of a film photography desert out here. I'm the only darkroom worker I know of in the area. I'm sure I can find you a cheap bed at the local homeless shelter if you need and add a little to the gas fund:)

Erik Larsen
18-Jul-2013, 13:40
Wow thats the best offer I had this week, you a gem Erik the chuck wagon has it limits .

Ok, I'll add feed for the horses!

matthew blais
18-Jul-2013, 14:23
Hey now Bob...I plan on putting you up in the Women's shelter
So there...

Dave Wooten
20-Jul-2013, 15:34
Thanks Matthew, I am in the midst of printing the show prints right now for Laura and I , we may have a quick preview open house here in Toronto before it all gets crated, Road trip to California is being planned to bring the framed prints, hope to see Vindaloo Dave on my way in or out, I believe he is on a direct path to Riverside from TO.

:), yep you can't get there without paying toll here!:)

bob carnie
21-Jul-2013, 07:15
Did you say **Paying the Troll ... geez Dave be easy on yourself** I hope I am in the Chuck Wagon on the way in or out, I hate flying. I will keep you informed on status.

matthew blais
25-Jul-2013, 11:38
UPDATE: The Sunday/Monday Workshop is now full. Thursday Friday (Sept 5&6) is wide open with one interest

matthew blais
6-Aug-2013, 17:49
One month out...still slots for the Thursday/Friday session

matthew blais
7-Aug-2013, 12:04
Here's the official flyer and please note: Bob is presenting his "Tales from the Darkroom"
Venue to be determined (near the gallery)

matthew blais
7-Aug-2013, 14:11
oops...the sept 5&6 is open, 8&9 is SOLD OUT.
My bad...

Michael Clark
13-Aug-2013, 20:07
Bob, or Matt, went to Japan in June of this year and have some negs I'd like to print, are 120 negs OK to bring.

Mike

bob carnie
14-Aug-2013, 05:45
Yes absolutely,

few weeks away working hard here prepping for the show , crates leave Toronto on the 29th of August with all the work.
All this show from my side of the coin is newly printed work. One half are colour solarizations one half tri toned silver solarizations.
We have finished all the matting and the framing is being done as I type.

Looking forward to Calaforniiee , hope I get to meet some moviestars, and rappers.

Bob, or Matt, went to Japan in June of this year and have some negs I'd like to print, are 120 negs OK to bring.

Mike

Michael Clark
14-Aug-2013, 18:20
Bob, the show sounds great, Tri toned solarizations gotta see those.

agregov
16-Aug-2013, 21:41
Hi Bob and Matt. Any slots still available for the 5th and 6th session? Contemplating. :)

bob carnie
17-Aug-2013, 05:39
Yes I believe so .

Hi Bob and Matt. Any slots still available for the 5th and 6th session? Contemplating. :)

matthew blais
17-Aug-2013, 07:41
Just to confirm, Yes, spots open for the 5th & 6th

agregov
20-Aug-2013, 14:23
Just signed up for the 5th/6th session. Really looking forward to working with Bob and meeting Matt! Thanks for putting on the workshop guys. Cheers. :)

bob carnie
20-Aug-2013, 14:28
Great It will be nice meeting you all.
We just finished the frames today, going to have a small preview party the day before the crates ship to Matthew.
If you are in the GTA area or visiting Toronto next week you are invited to our bbq.

get some good Canadian pints of beer, hamburgers and dogs, and fancy wine for the upper class.

going to work on my art talk over the next week so I can speak to the visitors to the show. Things are moving nicely.

Harmon has donated some paper for the workshop so a big shout out to all the good folks at Harmon.

Just signed up for the 5th/6th session. Really looking forward to working with Bob and meeting Matt! Thanks for putting on the workshop guys. Cheers. :)

matthew blais
30-Aug-2013, 06:42
A spot opened up for the Sunday/Monday workshop as someone switched to the Thursday/Friday.

So...One spot for Sept 8&9 and 2 spots for the Sept 5&6

Getting close to Bob time!

bob carnie
30-Aug-2013, 06:43
Crates left on a skid yesterday for CA ,

Michael Clark
7-Sep-2013, 16:59
Well tomorrows the workshop and visit Laura's and Bob's Show at M 56 Gallery, a busy two days can'nt wait !!!

Dave Wooten
8-Sep-2013, 10:11
Good luck and all the best on the show!
Sadly had to cancel the drive down:)
Apologies to all.
Dave

Michael Clark
9-Sep-2013, 18:34
Thanks Bob, the workshop was great. The printing methods you showed us will help greatly in the darkroom, along with Ilford MG Warmtone paper will make an exceptional combination in the printing process for me.

Mike

brucetaylor
10-Sep-2013, 15:51
Ditto from me on the workshop, Bob. Your techniques are going to save me a ton of time and wasted material in the coming months, in addition to helping me make much better prints.

My thanks to Matt for hosting the event and to Bob for making it all the way to SoCal from his northern habitat. In addition to a great workshop I got to meet some other interesting local photographers, and view a wonderful show at M56 Gallery.

Let's do something like this again!

Bruce

matthew blais
10-Sep-2013, 18:15
Great to meet you Bruce...and good luck with your new studio and darkroom! I'd like to see it when it's running.

Michael Clark
11-Sep-2013, 06:13
Great to meet you Bruce...and good luck with your new studio and darkroom! I'd like to see it when it's running.
Bruce, when its done invite Bob over to break it in, or me....

Mike

Dan Dozer
11-Sep-2013, 07:09
I can't say enough good things about this workshop and working with Bob. He turns a complex process into a very simple one that will be easy for me to take back with me to my own darkroom. And many thanks to Matt for sponsoring the event (and putting up with us all) and to Ilford for providing us with all the paper to print on (Ilford paper's the best).

ghostcount
11-Sep-2013, 08:47
Indeed! Bob's printing process and insights made me realize that difficult negatives can be tamed. His method is by the far the most flexible I've encountered. I particularly appreciate it when he showed us what he can do with Ilford Warmtone and Coldtone papers. I can't wait to try his method on these papers with some of my forgotten negatives.

Many thanks to Matt for his hospitality. I do hope he gets more workshops out here.

bob carnie
11-Sep-2013, 08:55
Thanks for all the kind words, I enjoyed myself in Riverside, Matt is a great host and a great guy to boot, he is a lot like me with some exceptions( I will not go there Matt)

Riverside is a nice community and all the participants were fun to be with, I wish you all success with your new gained printing method.

I will encourage you all to put on an Ipad, with good headseat, plug into Van Halen and Jack White and start printing with my methods and forget the silly note taking and reliance on the timer and lenses and concentrate on the neg, easel and finally the print as it emerges.

Hope to come back to the West Coast many times and renew friendships.

Bob

brucetaylor
11-Sep-2013, 13:24
When I get my darkroom built in the next 6 to 8 weeks I will be sure sure to invite you all out for a test drive!

-Bruce

dasBlute
11-Sep-2013, 13:54
sorry I missed this, looked to be a great event; will watch for the next one