PDA

View Full Version : Sold out? Velvia 50 8x10?

Tin Can
4-Jul-2013, 17:50
http://petapixel.com/2013/07/04/this-massive-batch-of-fuji-velvia-50-8x10-film-cost-a-photographer-100000/

LuisR
4-Jul-2013, 19:03
http://petapixel.com/2013/07/04/this-massive-batch-of-fuji-velvia-50-8x10-film-cost-a-photographer-100000/

Its only a matter of time and I don't mean the distant future until Fuji discontinues, first here and then in Japan, ALL large format film. Medium format will not be far behind.

tgtaylor
4-Jul-2013, 19:33
Interesting.

This past Saturday I stopped into the SF Calumet store to buy a Calumet branded Waterproof case to house my new (to me) Pentax645NII (the 645N was in need of repair and instead of investing $200 or so into it, I decided to replace it with an NII). Calumet had their cases on sale at 25% off during the month of June and earlier in the month a bought a case to hold all the lens for the enlarger. Then last Saturday, the 2d to last day of the sale, I decided to move the 645 and its dedicated lens from the soft case into a Calumet case and stopped by the Bryant Street store to get it.

I was suprised to find that the refrigerator (not running) holding the film was chock full with 35, 120, 4x5 and even a box of 8x10 Porta. Several boxes of 4x5 Velvia 50 were also there (I had thought it had been discontinued some time back) along with Ilford and Acros B&W - cool! - and I mentioned that to the clerk when paying for the case and she related that they recieved a fresh shipment of film just that day. I love film and hope this continues.

Thomas

biedron
4-Jul-2013, 19:44
Interesting.
I was suprised to find that the refrigerator (not running) holding the film...
Thomas

I'm not real happy to hear this as I bought the last box of Velvia 50 8x10 that the SF store had (and the last of any Calumet store in the country) a couple of weeks ago. It's frozen now:)

tgtaylor
4-Jul-2013, 19:50
Ha, well they had probably 7-10 boxes on Saturday and the expiration date was 2015 (I looked).

Thomas

biedron
4-Jul-2013, 20:13
Ha, well they had probably 7-10 boxes on Saturday and the expiration date was 2015 (I looked).

8x10 ?

tgtaylor
4-Jul-2013, 20:16
Nope 4x5, and Provia too.

Weihan
5-Jul-2013, 00:19
Its only a matter of time and I don't mean the distant future until Fuji discontinues, first here and then in Japan, ALL large format film. Medium format will not be far behind.

I'm not so sure about your predictions, unless of course you are privy to concrete insider information from the Fuji board of directors. The reason is that many Chinese I know personally have been turning to film, and this trend is also visible in online markets like Taobao (sort of like eBay in the west). Even among many of my own Chinese friends, when I tell them how many megapixels can be gained from a hi-res drum scan of a LF film, they are eager to try it out for themselves. I also think that if Fuji ever did decide to call it quits with film, there would most likely be a very savvy Chinese company that would pick up the reins and continue from there, sort of like the way Lenovo did with IBM's line of PCs and notebooks.

Jim Andrada
5-Jul-2013, 01:36
It's showing as discontinued at the Japanese stores as well, but there is still some stock available for order.

Interestingly enough 5 x 7 Provia is still available (I ordered a cople of boxes - at the rate I do LF color it should last me QUITE a while.)

LuisR
5-Jul-2013, 08:09
I'm not so sure about your predictions, unless of course you are privy to concrete insider information from the Fuji board of directors. The reason is that many Chinese I know personally have been turning to film, and this trend is also visible in online markets like Taobao (sort of like eBay in the west). Even among many of my own Chinese friends, when I tell them how many megapixels can be gained from a hi-res drum scan of a LF film, they are eager to try it out for themselves. I also think that if Fuji ever did decide to call it quits with film, there would most likely be a very savvy Chinese company that would pick up the reins and continue from there, sort of like the way Lenovo did with IBM's line of PCs and notebooks.

Its great to hear that the market for film photography is growing in China. However, that does not mean that Fuji's products would be available here. For example, Acros100 8x10 is available in Japan but not in the US. I am sure that Fuji would be more than happy to supply the Chinese market nearby and forget about the West. The more manufacturers of film the better, however it would have to be a quality product to grab my attention (meaning, my money). For example, Fomapan is reasonably priced but I prefer to spend my money on better alternatives available such as Ilford's products.