PDA

View Full Version : Zone processing times for Delta 100 in DD-X with BTZS tubes?

FlyingGiraffes
4-Jul-2013, 00:56
I've finally gathered everything I need to make my first image. Just finished up reading the basics of the zone system.

Does anyone have the N-2/N-1/N/N+1/N+2 times for Delta 100 in DD-X with BTZS tubes? Perhaps any times with constant agitation with any processing container will yield similar results? I'd like to use these times as a nice starting point.

It would also be helpful to list temperature as well as any other information you think may be helpful for my first run though the process of creating a large format image!

Thanks!

FlyingGiraffes
4-Jul-2013, 04:51
I think it's too late to edit now, but I should mention the goal is to have the negatives drum scanned for large digital prints.

Ken Lee
4-Jul-2013, 06:03
Ask Fred Newman at the View Camera Store (http://www.viewcamerastore.com/)

Brian Ellis
4-Jul-2013, 06:13
Fred will perhaps suggest that they do the testing for you, which I highly recommend. It costs about $35 or so and you'll probably make most of that up in film costs you'd incur when doing your own testing. Plus you get more information than you'd get on your own. I did my own testing a couple times and after that I used The View Camera Store's testing.

Mark Barendt
4-Jul-2013, 06:16
Plus and minus development of negatives is traditionally used to match the range of a scene to the range of a specific paper grade.

In your situation your scanner's and your software's abilities replace the paper. This essentially eliminates the need for plus or minus development because the displayable output range isn't fixed.

By choice or by default the contrast/printable/displayable range, is defined by the software not the negative. This isn't optional, digital images are simply invisible ones and zeros and are effectively corrupt files without a contrast definition.

A better question for development is simply one of defining/refining an N development that gets the raw info into your digital system efficiently.

Mark Barendt
4-Jul-2013, 07:07
Here's a reference. http://ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/201062894918374.pdf

D100 @ 100, DD-X, 68f, intermittent agitation 12 minutes. Minus 15% for constant agitation, gets you to about 10 minutes 12 seconds.

A good starting point, season to taste from there.

Lenny Eiger
7-Jul-2013, 12:40
I think it's too late to edit now, but I should mention the goal is to have the negatives drum scanned for large digital prints.

Now that Mark has given you a starting time.... I would add that you have to do the rest yourself, and that it doesn't ever stop. Every few rounds of development I adjust the times a few seconds this way and that. I look at a neg and I say to myself, that's just a little over for the N-2. We all vary in what we point the meter at and how much we want at the top.

If you are interested I'd be happy to walk you thru the drum scanning process and get your time to match exactly what you need.. I'm just up the road...

Lenny