PDA

View Full Version : Ektar 100 x-ray scan exposed

Hoppet
3-Jul-2013, 02:39
Hi there

I recently bought a ektar 100 box 8x10" new from the States and was shipped to Europe on normal post. On few pictures appeared couple of magenta lines parallels and crossing the whole image, one on the top, the other on the botton of the sheet. More noticeable on the shadows

I also noticed the exposure wasnt totally right. I shooted it at f32 1/2 when the dark areas were f16 and they came out with no detail at all.

I was wonder if this could be caused by the x-rays on airports as I belive they have to at least pass one on the States and another at the arrival.

Does anyone know how x-ray film exposed looks like? did anyone had this or a similar problem before

Thanks for your time

polyglot
3-Jul-2013, 06:20
Odd. Is it possible that some of the sheets were exposed, e.g. to an LED, during processing? I've had some 120 film damaged by a bad lab in that way.

X-rays would have probably exposed all the sheets in the box, not one or two. And they won't reduce the sensitivity, just add fog. If the sheets were kind of uniformly fogged, that would effectively reduce sensitivity because your image needs to appear above the fog. Was the rebate relatively clear? Were the other sheets (with no lines on them) responding with appropriate sensitivity?

Is there any chance you forgot to allow for bellows, filter or reciprocity corrections?

Don Dudenbostel
8-Jul-2013, 04:26
In my work I do a lot of work with x-rays. I also have had film fogged flying out of Paris a couple of years ago.

I don't know anything about the machines used but do know all the sheets should have the same fog otherwise it will be uniform. If there's something on the box as its being x-rayed it will show a pattern or shadow of that object.

Years ago I had two cases of 8x10 ektachrome that was improperly manufactured. Kodak failed to coat the yellow layer. Point being Kodak makes mistakes.

I have also has the lab fog my film with LEDs before.

If only a few sheets are fogged its not X-rays.