PDA

View Full Version : J&C Pro100... Off size

Annie M.
4-Jul-2004, 18:13
Seems that there are some size irregularities with J&C's latest order of Pro100 film in 8x10 and 4x5 sizes. Apparently the film has been cut slightly over the ANSI standards, in response to the problem (film buckles in the holder) J&C has discounted the film by 50%.... 25 sheets of 4x5 less than $5.... 8x10 under $17.... If you are adept with a rotary trimmer this may be an opportunity to pick up some B&W film at a good price... I'm not affiliated with J&C just thought I would pass it on.

Cheers Annie

Clayton Tume
5-Jul-2004, 21:06
Anyone know why the shipping is so expensive?

I decided to try some of the oversize 8x10 for 4x10 which I have to cut down anyway so the oversize doesn't matter too much. I put 10 x 25 sheet boxes plus 20 rolls of the same emulsion 120 into my shopping cart and got a price of $104 for international shipping, USPS air parcel. Works out to nearly double the cost of similar product bought elsewhere using the same shipping service.

I didn't follow the order through, the shipping cost is too high for my liking. Similar things happen on ebay where the seller jacks up the freight cost to make a few extra bucks on what started out as a good deal.

Clayton

Annie M.
5-Jul-2004, 22:17
Clayton, That does seem high... I also use USPS for international shipping to Canada with J&C orders. The most I have ever paid in S&H is about $40 and that was for a package that weighed 15lbs. As I recall the actual amount for the postage was over $30 so the handling charge was less than $10... Most of my orders are in the $350 range so I did not find S&H exorbitant (and they do a very nice job of the packaging). Where are you located?

Clayton Tume
6-Jul-2004, 04:10
Annie

I'm in New Zealand so it's hard to compare your price to mine. I buy a bit of film from B&H and do what you do and buy enough to keep the shipping price per unit down. I am happy to do that with J&C but the way their shopping cart is set up it's takes too much time working out a price range that makes the shipping cost effective.

I might go back and play with the numbers again.

I was wondering too if the quoted shipping price was actual or merely and indication?

Thanks for the tip about the film anyway, I'm still keen to get some.

Clayton

Annie M.
6-Jul-2004, 06:51
Clayton,

I use this calculator to get an idea of postage when I order from the US and it is fairly accurate... http://ircalc.usps.gov/default.htm

The price that comes up for S&H at the J&C checkout is the actual price that will be charged, that includes insurance. I'd send John an e-mail of your questions, I have found him to be very helpful.

Cheers, Annie

Clayton Tume
20-Jul-2004, 18:36
Annie

some good news, I halved my order to reduce shipping cost which worked out at $60, still quite high for my liking.

Yesterday I received an email from J&C to say they were crediting my credit card $25 for over charge on the shipping. When I asked for further info they said their shipping calculator was incorrectly set up for 8x10 film and was charging too much. They've since changed it and now it's charging about half previously.

Clayton