PDA

View Full Version : Graphic-Kowa 305mm f9.0

TimeShare
30-Jun-2013, 13:08
Would anyone know what the lever on the Kowa is for ? The lever opens & closes a slot in the middle of the lens, assuming it is for dropping some type of filter in ?

Secondly, trying to unscrew the retaining ring so i can mount it to a lens board. Anyone have any great ideas on how to get a stuck retaining ring loose ?

Dan Fromm
30-Jun-2013, 15:07
The slot allows insertion of a variety of Waterhouse stops, some with holes that aren't round, and filters. The stops were for making half-tone plates, the filters for making color separations. Many process lenses have such slots.

TimeShare
30-Jun-2013, 15:12
The slot allows insertion of a variety of Waterhouse stops, some with holes that aren't round, and filters. The stops were for making half-tone plates, the filters for making color separations. Many process lenses have such slots.

Thanks for the info !

VPooler
1-Jul-2013, 01:41
People would say that keep WD-40 away from anything optic but it worked for me getting a stubborn retainer loose. You just have to use it carefully and in moderation. Any penetrating oil would work.

TimeShare
1-Jul-2013, 06:59
People would say that keep WD-40 away from anything optic but it worked for me getting a stubborn retainer loose. You just have to use it carefully and in moderation. Any penetrating oil would work.

Stubborn for sure ! Have tried the WD40 route and some Releasall spray but still won't budge. Hard to get a grip of the damn thing to really be able to get a good twist. What a pain in the arse !

VPooler
1-Jul-2013, 12:09
Gun oil? Try to warm it up, too. I had the same problem with a Graphic-Kowa 150 f/9, but the WD-40 helped
Warm it up and then cool it down, makes metal to expand and contract, possibly loosening it up.

Alan Gales
1-Jul-2013, 16:25
Before any heavy wrenching on automobiles I would spray PB Blaster on the stuck fasteners and let it set over night. The stuff works great!

If you decide to use it on your lens then check the instructions to make sure it won't hurt your paint and of course as always, keep it away from the glass.

TimeShare
1-Jul-2013, 18:59
Gun oil? Try to warm it up, too. I had the same problem with a Graphic-Kowa 150 f/9, but the WD-40 helped
Warm it up and then cool it down, makes metal to expand and contract, possibly loosening it up.

Good idea ... I knew there was people around here that are smarter than me !