PDA

View Full Version : Cashiers, NC

Alan Curtis
29-Jun-2013, 15:53
I'm going to be in Cashiers for about three weeks in July, any suggestions for photographs?

goamules
29-Jun-2013, 19:25
I was just in Hendersonville, my family's old home county since before the Civil War. Just a few miles from where you'll be. You'll be in a great part of NC; waterfalls, old barns, interesting people.

Monty McCutchen
30-Jun-2013, 07:29
DuPont State Forest, Fontana Dam, Looking Glass Falls, Asheville (for local flavor, street photography of local 'characters'), river scenes around Bat Cave, NC. Smoky Mountain National Park (Cataloochee entrance for Elk herd, small one room church there too). Those are some decent starting points.

Good luck,

Monty

Alan Curtis
30-Jun-2013, 07:57
Thanks Garrett and Monty, those suggestions will help.

Bruce Watson
30-Jun-2013, 08:25
I'm going to be in Cashiers for about three weeks in July, any suggestions for photographs?

Waterfall country. Get a book on NC waterfalls (http://www.amazon.com/North-Carolina-Waterfalls-Hiking-Photography/dp/0895873206/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372605458&sr=1-1&keywords=nc+waterfalls) if you like that sort of photograph. At the least, cruise west down US-64 from Cashiers and take a look at Lower Cullasaja Falls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cullasaja_Falls). With all the rain we've been having, it should have a fair amount of water in it. Be careful of the traffic! And there's exactly one place to see LCF, and if you can stop there you'll feel like your heels are on US-64 when your head is under the dark cloth. If the conditions are right for a photograph it's well worth it, if the conditions aren't quite right it's still one of the most truly beautiful waterfalls on the east coast. What's not to like?

If you have time and inclination, drive US-276 up the mountain from Brevard. Nice drive up into the Pisgah National Forest along Looking Glass Creek. Very scenic, lots of pullouts. At the top of the mountain US-276 crosses the Blue Ridge Parkway which is a nice ride in either direction, with lots of pullouts and hiking trails.

In a more back-country vein, I found a nice little road south out of Sylva, NC-107. After a few miles it picks up a beautiful little mountain stream and follows it all the way to Bear Creek Reservoir. For an LFer interested in landscapes, it's a target rich environment.

All this stuff is very close to Cashiers.

The area is littered with beautiful hiking trails, mountain streams, and of course water falls of all kinds.

sanking
30-Jun-2013, 11:14
And if you have the time plan to visit Whitewater Falls.

http://www.blueridgeheritage.com/attractions-destinations/whitewater-falls

There is a lower look accessible by wooden steps, and if you are nimble you can go even beyond that point by climbing down the hill to the river itself. The view from the bottom from the other side of the river is more spectacular than the view at the top.

Sandy

Alan Curtis
30-Jun-2013, 13:33
Thank you Sandy and Bruce, sounds like I need to bring more film.

sanking
30-Jun-2013, 13:46
Thank you Sandy and Bruce, sounds like I need to bring more film.

Alan,

BTW, the following two images were made from the bottom of Whitewater Falls, and on the far side of the river. Lot easier to get there now than when I made the climb down to the bottom back in the 1980s and 90s when there were no wooden steps, and we let ourselves down and pulled ourselves up by tree roots and vines! But there are lots of photo opportunities if you make it to the bottom that don't present themselves at the overview.

http://www.sandykingphotography.com/photography-portfolio/carolina-rock-water/Photographs/1051-whitewater-falls-nc
http://www.sandykingphotography.com/photography-portfolio/carolina-rock-water/Photographs/1059-whitewater-falls-nc-2

BTW, both images originally captured on 5X7 B&W film.

Sandy

Bill McMannis
30-Jun-2013, 19:53
With three weeks, try to swing down to Tallulah Gorge about an hour south in Georgia. The falls here are spectacular and some of the scenery in gorge lends itself to large format. You could also swing over to Elberton GA for the the Georgia Guide Stones. For these, try to be there for either eraly mornign or late evening light.

AJ Edmondson
30-Jun-2013, 20:16
If you follow Bill's suggestion, you might want to allow some time on the Chatooga River. With the amount of rain we have had this year the river should provide fodder for a lot of really great images (if you have seen "Deliverance" you have some idea of the Chatooga's significance as a protected and scenic river). Regardless, the Cashiers area will offer more opportunities than three weeks can absorb. Cullasaja Gorge is terrific but the traffic can be frustrating - especially for LF enthusiasts - because you see much more than you can photograph. Bruce described the experience well!

Joel

Alan Curtis
9-Jul-2013, 15:24
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm in Cashiers now and have hit several of the waterfalls, they are spectacular with all the rain. Several scary, not because of the water but, the nearness of the road and having my head under a dark cloth with cars roaring by. I'm not sure whom was more nervous my wife or I. The forest are also great, very green.

Bill McMannis
9-Jul-2013, 18:36
The rain has been incredible: I think we are up to 20 days of rain with 20" surplus. It is often making for dramatic skies in the evening.

FYI: The DuPont State Forest in Transylvania County has some stunning waterfalls, well off of the road. A new bridge opened to faciliate foot traffic from the main parking lot to the trailhead. It is less than a 3 mile round trip hike for some of the best falls in WNC.

Have fun!