PDA

View Full Version : Last day for 2013 annual Ilford ULF film special orders: June 28th, 2013

benrains
28-Jun-2013, 05:59
I just saw this reminder on Ilford's Facebook page. For all you ULF shooters out there, today is the last day to get your special ULF film orders in to Ilford for the year ahead. Details and some links to participating vendors are included in their announcement- http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/page.asp?n=137

David Karp
28-Jun-2013, 14:57
Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten. Got in an order for whole plate HP5+ and Delta 100.

photoevangelist
28-Jun-2013, 15:07
I did my part. :)

mdm
28-Jun-2013, 15:36
Personally, I think the prices are too high. Its cheaper (like a dollar a sheet) to buy 8x10 film when you want it and cut it down to wholeplate or 5x7. Last years 5x7 Delta 100 special order was considerably less expensive than this years ULF price. If you want big film that cant be cut down from a standard size, you are buggered, the price is the price.

David Karp
28-Jun-2013, 15:47
I am lucky to have time to load holders, make photos and develop the film, much less print the photos. I would rarely, if ever, have time to cut down from 8x10. I am grateful Ilford makes these films available in all of these sizes.

Sal Santamaura
28-Jun-2013, 15:51
Personally, I think the prices are too high. Its cheaper (like a dollar a sheet) to buy 8x10 film when you want it and cut it down to wholeplate or 5x7...If one checked the prices at all participating dealers, substantial variation was apparent. Some cut off ordering two days ago, so can't be compared now. However, if the time, effort and dust/scratch susceptibility "cost" is considered, I disagree that it's cheaper to cut down 8x10.

...Last years 5x7 Delta 100 special order was considerably less expensive than this years ULF price...Ilford's latest Product Availability List

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/20135301274328.pdf

now indicates that, unlike last year, 5x7 Delta 100 is "NONSTOCK - ULF" (see page 3). It used to be "USUALLY IN STOCK." I suspect the annual special order period is when one will need to buy it (I ordered a box) if one wants it from now on.

Anyone who thinks the $209.95 I paid The View Camera Store for one box of 5x7 Delta 100 excessive is advised to contact Keith Canham and ask what the minimum number of boxes and price per box would be for 5x7 TMAX 100. :) Hurry, there's still a little time remaining, at least with some Ilford dealers!

Sal Santamaura
28-Jun-2013, 16:36
...Anyone who thinks the $209.95 I paid The View Camera Store for one box of 5x7 Delta 100 excessive...And I paid more than another dealer was charging

http://www.ultrafineonline.com/ilde100ulfpr1.html

but sales tax would have mostly leveled the field.

Hurry; Ultrafine's still accepting orders. :)

Tin Can
28-Jun-2013, 17:45
Why did Freestyle cancel my order, they told me they ended June 26th!

Tin Can
28-Jun-2013, 18:06
OK, now I am calming down.

Last night I placed an order for Ilford FP4 7x11 on Freestyle's website. I used them because I often order with them.

I went to sleep happy, this morning I get an email from them telling me I missed the deadline and they had to cancel my order. They did not tell me others were still taking orders.

OK, I thought, I spaced out and mistook the ending day, as June 26 and June 28 do look similar to me. OK, my bad.

A few minutes ago, I check into LFPF and see this thread. I call Freestyle and foam at the mouth for a minute, and then realize I need to call some other California store that's still open.

http://www.ultrafineonline.com/ was open for 10 more minutes, I placed an order, paid less for shipping and Freestyle has lost a customer.

benrains
28-Jun-2013, 18:23
As far as the larger outlets go, for a long while Adorama always had the best pricing on Ilford's film but I recently discovered B&H are on parity with them (only because Adorama ran out of Ilford HP5+ 8x10 and I had to find another source). There was a big, something like 25%, jump in prices across the board this spring. I don't know if it's because of rising silver prices, other manufacturing costs, or just a supply & demand issue. It stung! But I'm glad they're still making film and do this annual special to accomodate all the oddball and ULF sizes.

David Karp
28-Jun-2013, 19:18
I called Freestyle today. They stopped taking orders for this run a couple of days ago.

Sal Santamaura
28-Jun-2013, 20:49
...Hurry; Ultrafine's still accepting orders. :)

...A few minutes ago, I check into LFPF and see this thread. I...realize I need to call some other California store that's still open.

http://www.ultrafineonline.com/ was open for 10 more minutes, I placed an order...Sometimes I wonder whether going to the trouble of posting information here is worth the effort. In this instance, it certainly was. You, Ultrafine and Ilford directly benefited. We all did indirectly since it helps Ilford continue the program. :D

Tin Can
28-Jun-2013, 20:59
Exactly, and I almost missed it. I was waiting for my end of month pension check that arrived Wednesday...

Posting timely info and links is always useful.

Sometimes I wonder whether going to the trouble of posting information here is worth the effort. In this instance, it certainly was. You, Ultrafine and Ilford directly benefited. We all did indirectly since it helps Ilford continue the program. :D

David Karp
28-Jun-2013, 21:10
Sometimes I wonder whether going to the trouble of posting information here is worth the effort.

Always Sal. Even if it helps just one person.

I certainly would have let the date slip. I would probably have made it through the year, because I stocked up a while ago in case they cancelled the program, but now I won't have to worry about rationing my WP film over the next year.

mdm
28-Jun-2013, 22:27
Anyone who thinks the $209.95 I paid The View Camera Store for one box of 5x7 Delta 100 excessive is advised to contact Keith Canham and ask what the minimum number of boxes and price per box would be for 5x7 TMAX 100. :) Hurry, there's still a little time remaining, at least with some Ilford dealers!

Compared to aproximately $180 last year and $160 the previous year. I have enough film for me, I didnt need more except I would have liked some whole plate Delta 100. Cutting 8x10 film is not a big deal, not even time wise, specially as you can buy it when you need it and in whatever quantity you want. Kodak prices are insane, I have 30 sheets of 8x10 Tmax 400 that cost and arm and a leg, I swore never again will I be drawn in out of sympathy. If you want to sell me film, cut it to size and dont charge extra for that.

Sal Santamaura
29-Jun-2013, 07:30
Compared to aproximately $180 last year and $160 the previous year...The link I included in post #7 offered 5x7 Delta 100, as part of this year's Ilford special order program, at $177.35. So, compared to your approximation of last year, not an increase at all.

Note to readers who aren't familiar with the packaging: that's for 100 sheets.

bob carnie
29-Jun-2013, 07:57
I purchase a couple of rolls of Ortho 25 , just got my order in.

photoevangelist
29-Jun-2013, 18:16
FYI www.mpex.com had the best ULF prices this year except for the FP4+ in 90mm rolls, Freestyle had them beat for that. I've been using MPEX for all my 5x7 FP4+. But now I use them for the ULF orders too. When you are importing goods and paying international shipping every cent counts. My 7x17 FP4+ was under $200 @ $194 a box. Everyone else was above $200. That's a shame because MPEX is more of an all around photo supply store and not a supply store dedicated to the analog market like freestyle or the likes.

Tin Can
29-Jun-2013, 18:32
Whether by design or happenstance, it seems we all need to shop at many differents photo stores, both online and brick and mortar. Nobody, even mighty B&H has everything I need. B&H has very deep catalog, yet not everything.

I try to buy film and chems I use from one seller, hoping to keep them in business with my tiny purchases.

Some seek the greatest bargain, others value service and some like a very personal touch.

I go to Central Camera because they have stuff, not in any catalog, ebay listing or competitors store. And the darn place is a great circus!

The chase keeps it interesting.

photoevangelist
29-Jun-2013, 21:18
Whether by design or happenstance, it seems we all need to shop at many differents photo stores, both online and brick and mortar. Nobody, even mighty B&H has everything I need. B&H has very deep catalog, yet not everything.

I try to buy film and chems I use from one seller, hoping to keep them in business with my tiny purchases.

Some seek the greatest bargain, others value service and some like a very personal touch.

I go to Central Camera because they have stuff, not in any catalog, ebay listing or competitors store. And the darn place is a great circus!

The chase keeps it interesting.

+1 :)

StoneNYC
29-Jun-2013, 23:24
FYI www.mpex.com had the best ULF prices this year except for the FP4+ in 90mm rolls, Freestyle had them beat for that. I've been using MPEX for all my 5x7 FP4+. But now I use them for the ULF orders too. When you are importing goods and paying international shipping every cent counts. My 7x17 FP4+ was under $200 @ $194 a box. Everyone else was above $200. That's a shame because MPEX is more of an all around photo supply store and not a supply store dedicated to the analog market like freestyle or the likes.

Freestyle had better priced for the 70mm and 46mm too, by about $10 per roll.

Sal Santamaura
2-Jul-2013, 11:34
...Anyone who thinks the $209.95 I paid The View Camera Store for one box of 5x7 Delta 100 excessive is advised to contact Keith Canham and ask what the minimum number of boxes and price per box would be for 5x7 TMAX 100...I just noticed that B&H has apparently decided to pony up for Kodak's minimum order and stock 5x7 TMAX 100. It's offered here

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/303723-USA/Kodak_1325000_TMX_4052_5x7_50.html

with a one-box (50 sheets) minimum. That's more than two times the price per sheet one could have ordered 5x7 Delta 100 for from Ultrafine. Badger still has two 100-sheet boxes of Delta 100 in stock as well

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=3501

which also come in at less than half the price per sheet of TMAX 100.

Tin Can
2-Jul-2013, 11:46
and, now that I am over my snit,

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/1901575-Arista-EDU-Ultra-100-ISO-5x7-50-sheets

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/42015750-Foma-Fomapan-100-ISO-5x7-50-sheets

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/1300078-Kodak-Tri-X-Pro-320-ISO-5x7-50-sheets-TXP

I know it's all different products, but I am on a budget!

Sal Santamaura
2-Jul-2013, 11:51
...I know it's all different products, but I am on a budget!As far as the first two are concerned, a wise person once told me "you're not wealthy enough to afford cheap things." :D

Carl J
2-Jul-2013, 12:16
FWIW, 11x14 FP4+ from MPEX was approx. $250 per 25 sheets, which was still less than Freestyle or View Camera store. No one I asked could explain why 11x14 FP5+ was $219 for 25 sheets vs. $249 for FP4+, but this was only the case for 11x14(!). Other ULF sizes were approximately the same for FP4+ emulsions. Bit the bullet anyway but I'm still curious to know why the price difference for 11x14 FP4+. Is it just that much more (or less) demand? Thankfully there's X-Ray film.

mdm
2-Jul-2013, 12:33
11x14 HP5 is a stock item somewhere, B&H I think.

StoneNYC
3-Jul-2013, 08:58

The arista ultra is Foma and the arista premium is Tri-X right?

Sal Santamaura
3-Jul-2013, 13:37

The arista ultra is Foma and the arista premium is Tri-X right?There are no Arista Premium sheet films. The first two are Foma and the last one is Kodak.

Lachlan 717
3-Jul-2013, 14:14
FYI www.mpex.com had the best ULF prices this year… My 7x17 FP4+ was under $200 @ $194 a box. Everyone else was above $200.

Same for me. Significantly cheaper for 7x17". No fuss transaction as well, with good communication. Given I'm not in the US, these are important factors along with the price.

StoneNYC
3-Jul-2013, 15:37
Well just got my email... Sad...

I thought at least 1 type of 70mm would get enough orders... I know that's not LF but still part of the ULF order thing.

bentleyR
3-Jul-2013, 16:37
Well just got my email... Sad...

I thought at least 1 type of 70mm would get enough orders... I know that's not LF but still part of the ULF order thing.

I just got the same notice. I ordered two rolls of 70mm perf. I guess not enough of us crazy 70mm users to meet the minimum. Hopefully Simon will let us know how far below the threshold we were. Maybe next time!

StoneNYC
3-Jul-2013, 22:01
I just got the same notice. I ordered two rolls of 70mm perf. I guess not enough of us crazy 70mm users to meet the minimum. Hopefully Simon will let us know how far below the threshold we were. Maybe next time!

Yea, I started a thread about not getting my film and of course being APUG all the guys jumped on me thinking I was bashing Ilford haha, when really I was just lamenting...

A few notable comments were that many 70mm shooters hadn't realized that Ilford's ULF included the roll films since its not LF stuff. They suggested next year I start a special thread about it and also that we encourage Ilford to change the name to something like 2014 Ilford ULF and specialty roll format special order. So "tiny format" shooters know about it.

At least ill get my 46mm (127) film...

Tin Can
3-Jul-2013, 22:08
I guess I'm slow, but that 47mm roll film went right by me, I saw it and did not think. I still have more than enough 127 Ektachrome for my Baby Yashica, considering I seldom even think of shooting it. But my guy will process it.

Just what I need, another project...

What was the price on it?

Yea, I started a thread about not getting my film and of course being APUG all the guys jumped on me thinking I was bashing Ilford haha, when really I was just lamenting...

A few notable comments were that many 70mm shooters hadn't realized that Ilford's ULF included the roll films since its not LF stuff. They suggested next year I start a special thread about it and also that we encourage Ilford to change the name to something like 2014 Ilford ULF and specialty roll format special order. So "tiny format" shooters know about it.

At least ill get my 46mm (127) film...

StoneNYC
3-Jul-2013, 23:19
I guess I'm slow, but that 47mm roll film went right by me, I saw it and did not think. I still have more than enough 127 Ektachrome for my Baby Yashica, considering I seldom even think of shooting it. But my guy will process it.

Just what I need, another project...

What was the price on it?

It's 46mm I think, not 47mm but I could be wrong, yea I agree they didn't call it 127 "long roll" or something on the sheet which was dumb, nor did they call the 70mm non-perf "OR 1116/616 long roll unbacked" or something.

The price was about $120 I think for 50 foot roll at freestyle which seemed the cheapest, next was MPEX at $10 more. Or it might have been $110 at freestyle and $120 at MPEX, I can't remember but about $120, which comes out to about 22 rolls I think if I remember the math I figured out before, so that's $5.45 a roll of 127, not bad at all...

Care to give up any of that ektachrome?

Now that my last rolls of efke are gone, and the last of it at freestyle seems to have efke-itis... I'm bummed I didn't order two rolls of the stuff, but last minute I switched and ordered a second roll of 70mm DP (Double Perf) thinking that I would be going through the 70mm faster.

Alas, such is life. Apparently they offered the 127 last year as well so hopefully next year they will have it again. Anyway, would love to trade for some ektachrome :)

Tin Can
3-Jul-2013, 23:50
Thanks for the info. I m keeping the Ektachrome, I also have a little no name 127 German viewfinder camera that is so tiny and works well, and as I say I have a E6 Lab 2 miles away.

I think both the dealers and Ilford really did not get the message out.

Perhaps we are to blame here, for being too secretive...

It's 46mm I think, not 47mm but I could be wrong, yea I agree they didn't call it 127 "long roll" or something on the sheet which was dumb, nor did they call the 70mm non-perf "OR 1116/616 long roll unbacked" or something.

The price was about $120 I think for 50 foot roll at freestyle which seemed the cheapest, next was MPEX at $10 more. Or it might have been $110 at freestyle and $120 at MPEX, I can't remember but about $120, which comes out to about 22 rolls I think if I remember the math I figured out before, so that's $5.45 a roll of 127, not bad at all...

Care to give up any of that ektachrome?

Now that my last rolls of efke are gone, and the last of it at freestyle seems to have efke-itis... I'm bummed I didn't order two rolls of the stuff, but last minute I switched and ordered a second roll of 70mm DP (Double Perf) thinking that I would be going through the 70mm faster.

Alas, such is life. Apparently they offered the 127 last year as well so hopefully next year they will have it again. Anyway, would love to trade for some ektachrome :)

StoneNYC
4-Jul-2013, 00:45
Thanks for the info. I m keeping the Ektachrome, I also have a little no name 127 German viewfinder camera that is so tiny and works well, and as I say I have a E6 Lab 2 miles away.

I think both the dealers and Ilford really did not get the message out.

Perhaps we are to blame here, for being too secretive...

I've got a yashika44 but its broken, I need a new one. Cheap! Haha

Having a nice tiny RF would be nice.

Curt
5-Jul-2013, 01:40
Just an out of place comment: I tried to order 11x14 film from MPEX but searching revealed nothing, no listing on their site. I sent a message and they said they'd add it. They never did so I ordered mine from a west coast company. Another point: Would it be better, from the consumers point, to separate the ULF order and run from those formats, say 8x10 and smaller, having two distinct events? After all Ilford / Harmon produces the entire range of products.

Just commenting, suggesting, and asking.

Tin Can
5-Jul-2013, 08:08
It would be better if all film sellers would make the format size font BIGGER so it stands out of the repetitious descriptions.

I just had a go round with an X-Ray film purchase where I selected the wrong size.

Luckily I called as their 'system' ended up with 4 orders, all incorrect.