PDA

View Full Version : Converting Horseman 612 for 4x5 or 6x9 to SW612?

Maynaard
27-Jun-2013, 18:06
Given the price difference between the various Horseman film backs, and low availability of SW612 filmbacks, has anyone considered, or done a conversion?

EdSawyer
28-Jun-2013, 07:40
The 4x5 6x12 backs are just as much $ as the SW612 ones basically.

Maynaard
29-Jun-2013, 00:35
The problem for me is that the sw612 film backs don't come up second hand, whereas the 4x5's do for close to half the new price, and other versions for less than $300. Anything costing over $1000 attracts import duty in Australia, and can take a few weeks. So I was thinking that it might be possible to find a second hand Horseman filmback and adapt it. Hence my question, has anyone considered it or done it.
Or possibly have knowledge if it can be done, and if so what might be involved. For instance it may be possible to remove the 4x5 backing and replace it with the sw612 backing from a sw612 gg adaptor.

Maynaard
3-Jul-2013, 04:29
Should I move this to DIY?

Joseph Dickerson
3-Jul-2013, 14:45
Horseman backs are scarce in the US as well...but well worth the effort if you can find one. There was also a Calumet/Cambo 6x12cm back, although the 6x7 and 6x9 format is much more common.

However, the Chinese backs, I've used the Shen Hao/Art Panorama one, work just fine. They hold the film flat, are simple mechanical, the ruby window film advance is practically fool proof, and you can switch formats, although not in mid roll.

Modifying a Horseman, or other back from one format to another would be a nightmare as you not only have to change the film aperture, but the spacing on the film advance.

Can't see where it would make any real sense.

JD

Dan Fromm
3-Jul-2013, 15:22
Modifying a Horseman, or other back from one format to another would be a nightmare as you not only have to change the film aperture, but the spacing on the film advance.
JD

Joe, Horseman makes a 6x12 roll holder to fit a 4x5 Graflok back and a 6x12 roll holder to fit Horseman's SW612 camera. The 4x5 version looks like the SW612 on a plate that fits a 4x5 Graflok.

This is parallel to (don't throw stones, anyone) the visible differencebetween 6x9 roll holders made to fit 2x3 Graflok backs and ones made to fit 4x5 Graflok backs.

The OP is in a fix because he has an SW612 camera and wants a relatively inexpensive 6x12 back that will attach to it. A 6x12 back that attaches to a 4x5 Graflok is no good to him.

Maynaard
3-Jul-2013, 15:46
Thanks Joe and Dan
It seems from Dan's comment that it might be possible to remove the 4x5 Graflok back from the 6x12 roll holder, and then re-attach it to a SW612 GG holder mechanism.

That would be much cheaper than buying a new sw612 brand new, and paying the import duty as they cost over Us$1000, which is now well over the Australian$1000.

Dan Fromm
3-Jul-2013, 16:23
Maynaard, I've never seen a Horseman back larger than a 6x9er for a 6x9 Graflok so I don't know whether what you want to do is possible. I don't know how a 612SW back attaches to a 612SW (sliders, like a Graflok?) or whether the middle section of a 6x12 Horseman roll holder for 4x5 Grafloks is slitted or whatever as needed.

I have in hand (please, no laughter) Adapt-A-Roll 620s to fit 2x3 and 4x5 backs. The 4x5er is a one piece casting that could, perhaps, be milled down to fit a 2x3 spring back (these beasties slip in like cut film holders). I also have a 6x12 (fixed format) Sinar roll holder that fits a 4x5 Graflok, see no way to make it fit a lower back.

Maynaard
3-Jul-2013, 18:35
Thanks again Dan
I have bought a 6x9 back for 4x5 as a parts only for $5. It's a Horseman so when it arrives I will know more. Of course I am keen on the full 612 (although I understand its not quite that big), but I it is possible to mate 6x7 and 6x9 backs to the GG holder or some other mechanism, I will be happy.

Joseph Dickerson
8-Jul-2013, 09:19
Joe, Horseman makes a 6x12 roll holder to fit a 4x5 Graflok back and a 6x12 roll holder to fit Horseman's SW612 camera. The 4x5 version looks like the SW612 on a plate that fits a 4x5 Graflok.

This is parallel to (don't throw stones, anyone) the visible differencebetween 6x9 roll holders made to fit 2x3 Graflok backs and ones made to fit 4x5 Graflok backs.

The OP is in a fix because he has an SW612 camera and wants a relatively inexpensive 6x12 back that will attach to it. A 6x12 back that attaches to a 4x5 Graflok is no good to him.

Dan,

You're right of course, I didn't read carefully. :confused:

JD