PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Emulsion On Shale- Focus Issues

David N Docherty
26-Jun-2013, 11:26
I am a novice LF photog and an intermediate print maker, working wet darkroom for B&W and a 7-ink photo inkjet for Giclee.

I am about to embark on a project that involves printing on shale and other stones. I have not yet used Liquid Light, it seems simple enough, but none of my background research says anything about focusing on irregular objects.

At this point I am thinking that:
1) using a grain focuser is out of the question,
2) a small aperture will be needed for depth of focus, and that
3) I will have to somehow shroud the emulsion surface with a light tight drape that is thin enough to allow adequate focus...

Feedback?
Suggestions?

Thank you,
David
Doing it in the dark.

David R Munson
26-Jun-2013, 18:19
If the material you're printing on is consistent in thickness, you can stick in a dummy to use to focus before you print. If you can get the physical materials consistent enough, you can still use a grain focuser or at least eyeball it as sharp.

Gundlach
27-Jun-2013, 04:34
Use a red filter over your enlarging lens. Make your enlarger a safelight. That's the way we used to do it.

David N Docherty
29-Jun-2013, 11:13
Use a red filter over your enlarging lens. Make your enlarger a safelight. That's the way we used to do it.

Why didn't I think of that? I have three enlargers and two of them are equipped with red filters ~ I even use them!

Thank you.

Bogdan Karasek
7-Aug-2013, 18:55
Why didn't I think of that? I have three enlargers and two of them are equipped with red filters ~ I even use them!

Thank you.

Now I have to put them back. I completely forgot that I used them back in highschool in the early 60s.

Thanks for the reminder.