PDA

View Full Version : Canham Compendium Shade

Kevin Crisp
1-Jul-2004, 11:29
If you've used the Canham brand compendium shade on the MQC or the DLC I would appreciate knowing what you think of it. Does the same part work on both cameras? How much do these weigh and how small are they. Assume I know nothing about other types of compendium shades -- because I know nothing about them. Thanks.

Pete Caluori
1-Jul-2004, 11:40
Greetings,

I Have a DLC & JMC and use the Canham compendium shade. The compendium works very well, but it’s not small. It’s about 6” square and the metal “hinges” extend beyond the 6” square when folded.

In use, an L-shaped bracket attaches to the front standard with a thumb screw. A ~4” metal rod goes through the L-bracket and is affixed with another thumb screw. The shade attaches to the metal rod via another thumb screw. This arrangement makes it very easy to access the lens and remove it/reattach it. The front has a slot milled to accept 6”???? square/rectangular filters.

The shade is built out of the same material as the Canham bellows, or at least that’s the way it appears and is very well built, durable and very easy to use. I don’t always use it, though I should, but there have been times when it has saved the image. I highly recommend it.

Regards, Pete

George Stewart
1-Jul-2004, 12:48
I use it on my 8x10 camera, and its nice to have. Recommended!

clay harmon
1-Jul-2004, 14:59
Keith will sell you (not much $$) an additional bracket that will enable you to use the lenshade on both his metal 4x5 and 5x7 cameras as well as the bigger cameras. The shade is very beefy, and worth having in your toolbox.

jose angel
2-Jul-2004, 04:24
Kevin, perhaps this link (http://www.terra.es/personal8/morcillo/Compendium.htm) could help you a bit.

I also like it. It´s big but very light, useful for all my lenses from ultra wides to very long lenses. I can attach to it all kind of masks, filters or so. I use a smaller cheap rubber one when needed.

Good luck,

jose angel
2-Jul-2004, 04:56
There is another interesting hood, the Lee compendium system. Their compendiums have a reinforced bellows that let them to be self-supported and enough rigid and malleable to your needs in a smaller size. They are attached to the filter thread of the lens, in a similar way as the Cokin filters do. If I`m not wrong, you can search it in this site (http://www.leefiltersusa.com) .

It works pretty good for a lot of users here, even thought I prefer the Canham.

jose angel
2-Jul-2004, 04:57
There is another interesting hood, the Lee compendium system. Their compendiums have a reinforced bellows that let them to be self-supported and enough rigid and malleable to your needs in a smaller size. They are attached to the filter thread of the lens, in a similar way as the Cokin filters do. If I`m not wrong, you can search for them in this site (http://www.leefiltersusa.com) .

It works pretty good for a lot of users here, even thought I prefer the Canham.

Doug Pollock
2-Jul-2004, 08:47
I just weighed the Canham compendium lens hood. 364 g. (12 3/4 oz.)