PDA

View Full Version : Not for sale, Del Riccio 15" bomber lens, window, bombsight? Good for what?

Tin Can
25-Jun-2013, 20:32
We have this big lens, trying to think of a use for it.

Any ideas? Get creative...

I want to mount in a wall between 2 rooms, the owner can't decide.

NOT FOR SALE

found this on a website 2007 auction

RARE WWII Aircraft 180 Del Riccio North American Lens
Description :
is a SUPER rare vintage WWII Aircraft belly lens. Made by Del Riccio for North American Aviaition. This lens is BIG, and weighs over 22 pounds! 15" width, and comes in it's original drawstring bag, with olive green canvas cover, and still retains it's lens cleaning cloth too! This coming from the estate of a former Flying Tiger pilot who flew in China with the 449th Fighter Squadron in 1943.

Kirk Gittings
25-Jun-2013, 20:53

Frying really big ants?

John Kasaian
25-Jun-2013, 20:57
I'll bet it's a fast lens! Mount it through the side of a windowless van and drive around taking night photos, perhaps? What is the focal length? If it is super long, build a camera out of culvert pipe, mount on a pick up truck and explore geologic formations like the hanging valleys in Yosemite.
It looks like a hernia maker---so beware!

Tin Can
25-Jun-2013, 21:08
I can't figure how it was used. We know they were mounted in the belly of a bomber. Maybe it's just a window. It doesn't really magnify much, seems to be thick plastic/lexan, maybe it's bulletproof.

The owner has a video editing studio and I keep telling him to mount it between edit rooms as an odd window. It would be safe from theft, breakage and at least a tension breaker.

I may have to get it on 100 year loan...

Frying really big ants?

Tin Can
25-Jun-2013, 21:11
Maybe I'll take it on the roof and look at downtown a mile away...

I'll bet it's a fast lens! Mount it through the side of a windowless van and drive around taking night photos, perhaps? What is the focal length? If it is super long, build a camera out of culvert pipe, mount on a pick up truck and explore geologic formations like the hanging valleys in Yosemite.

Tin Can
25-Jun-2013, 21:26
I had my hernia at age 7, I'm done with that.

Have van, but only the canyons of Chicago's Loop.

Sear's Tower has a glass shelf you can stand on and look straight down, but I bet they will never let that lens up there.

Sevo
26-Jun-2013, 03:30
I can't figure how it was used. We know they were mounted in the belly of a bomber. Maybe it's just a window. It doesn't really magnify much, seems to be thick plastic/lexan, maybe it's bulletproof.

If it is Lexan, it is a viewport window, not a lens element (though it may have a little bit of refraction, which then would have been calculated into the optical system of the camera behind it). Not intended to be bulletproof, but it is air-tight and pressure proof.

goamules
26-Jun-2013, 05:38
I would say make it the wall mounted side of a fishtank/aquarium. It reminds me of the windows you see in 10,000 Leages Under the Sea, or a James Bond movie. Imagine making a glass or stainless steel tank and fitting this as one side. Then mount the tank from the back of a wall, install an internal light, and enjoy the bubble that comes out into the room.

Tin Can
26-Jun-2013, 08:17
I think I need a different hobby forum for that one.

I had to babysit fish once. No thanks. They watch you. I prefer all flora and fauna outside where there belong, my cave is for me and a few rogue spiders.

I would say make it the wall mounted side of a fishtank/aquarium. It reminds me of the windows you see in 10,000 Leages Under the Sea, or a James Bond movie. Imagine making a glass or stainless steel tank and fitting this as one side. Then mount the tank from the back of a wall, install an internal light, and enjoy the bubble that comes out into the room.

John Jarosz
26-Jun-2013, 09:17
If it is from the WWII era then it's not polycarbonate (Lexan). Polycarbonate first became commercially available in 1958 or so. It's more likely a form of acrylic - discovered in 1928 - the Brits would call it Perspex..

I vote for the aquarium window usage, as it will most likely make some of the little fish appear bigger. It's probably a real view port. A real lens would have multiply elements, no?

Tin Can
26-Jun-2013, 09:24
It does have at least 2 elements, concave rear and of course, convex front, but little magnification, it does show a wide angle.

All you fish people, will need to build and maintain a fish tank for me...at your house.

I think I need to try it on something far away.

If it is from the WWII era then it's not polycarbonate (Lexan). Polycarbonate first became commercially available in 1958 or so. It's more likely a form of acrylic - discovered in 1928 - the Brits would call it Perspex..

I vote for the aquarium window usage, as it will most likely make some of the little fish appear bigger. It's probably a real view port. A real lens would have multiply elements, no?

William Whitaker
26-Jun-2013, 12:50
Looks like it came from a laundromat...

Kevin Crisp
26-Jun-2013, 12:55
I think it will mount in a Compur 2.

goamules
26-Jun-2013, 17:33
Looks like it came from a laundromat...

Yeah, I knew I saw round, glass doors like that somewhere.

MMELVIS
26-Jun-2013, 17:49
Detail onm the lens with a PDF that can be downloaded http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2373815.html

I think putting in the wall between 2 rooms would give a unique view after reading about the lens

ashley161
28-Jun-2013, 00:32

Any ideas? Get creative...

I want to mount in a wall between 2 rooms, the owner can't decide.

NOT FOR SALE

found this on a website 2007 auction

RARE WWII Aircraft 180 Del Riccio North American Lens
Description :
is a SUPER rare vintage WWII Aircraft belly lens. Made by Del Riccio for North American Aviaition. This lens is BIG, and weighs over 22 pounds! 15" width, and comes in it's original drawstring bag, with olive green canvas cover, and still retains it's lens cleaning cloth too! This coming from the estate of a former Flying Tiger pilot who flew in China with the 449th Fighter Squadron in 1943.

Hey,

Its great sharing i am just in love with it .I would also go-ahead and vote for the aquarium

Sevo
28-Jun-2013, 00:51
Nothing camera related at all, by the the patent it is the outward half of a oversize door spy like viewing aid for bomber gunners...

Tin Can
28-Jun-2013, 07:08
Thanks for finding that.

So it is a giant fisheye with 180 degree coverage made of Lucite, for an observer to watch outside a bomber, easier than with a tiny window.

Most likely it saved some of our heros.

It is a lens, with meniscus elements.

It really needs to go in the wall between the owner's edit rooms and their general room. He's out of town, I may do it while he is away. He is a great guy, but indecisive in these matters. I'll get his partner to agree.

Detail onm the lens with a PDF that can be downloaded http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2373815.html

I think putting in the wall between 2 rooms would give a unique view after reading about the lens

Tin Can
28-Jun-2013, 07:12
I disagree. They may have snapped pics through it also. One part of the patent, talks about not having to open a window...

I'm sure it was handy during the war.

Nothing camera related at all, by the the patent it is the outward half of a oversize door spy like viewing aid for bomber gunners...

John Schneider
28-Jun-2013, 14:52
I thought it looked like an astrodome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrodome_%28aviation%29
And, e.g., https://www.google.com/search?q=b-29+astrodome+bomber&client=firefox-a&hs=zNN&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=TAXOUYS4LMisiALYloHwCw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1173&bih=800

These were used by navigators to take sextant readings, and by observers. Bombardiers used optically-flat glass windows for obvious reasons.

Sevo
28-Jun-2013, 14:54
I thought it looked like an astrodome:

No, these must be non-distorting or they miss their purpose...

Neal Chaves
28-Jun-2013, 15:42
It was used inside the aircraft to look into the bomb bay.

John Kasaian
30-Jun-2013, 08:11
Maybe I'll take it on the roof and look at downtown a mile away...

How about shooting architectural elements on skyscrapers? I'd bet they'd provide for some interesting abstracts.

John Kasaian
30-Jun-2013, 08:14
You might want to ask these fine folks about your lens
http://www.castleairmuseum.org/

Tin Can
30-Jun-2013, 08:16
That's a good idea John, and since it has such a large opening, I can use some big lenses behind it.

I'll have to try it!

How about shooting architectural elements on skyscrapers? I'd bet they'd provide for some interesting abstracts.

Tin Can
30-Jun-2013, 08:32
I used to Winter in Harlingen, Texas where the former Confederate Air Force (CAF) was located, now they are called Commemorative Air Force and according to their website have many locations. Castle Air Museum does not seem connected to CAF.

Thanks for the tip, I have always been interested in Warbirds, great machines developed and made quickly under duress.

Chicago is rumored to still have an underground aircraft factory where new planes actually flew out of a huge underground bunker upon completion. I have not found it, but I also have not looked that hard. Navy Pier was used as an ersatz Carrier for training pilots and we recently got a plane out of Lake Michigan from that era.

You might want to ask these fine folks about your lens
http://www.castleairmuseum.org/

Jim C.
30-Jun-2013, 13:45
Interesting 'lens' , know of anyplace that has really high ceilings ?
You guys could try and see if it focuses a ceiling light on the floor.

Tin Can
30-Jun-2013, 13:50
I think it would not, but I will be trying many things with it, if the owner won't mount it, he will loan it to me for experimentation.

Interesting 'lens' , know of anyplace that has really high ceilings ?
You guys could try and see if it focuses a ceiling light on the floor.

Carsten Wolff
11-Jul-2013, 19:10
...would also make a nice dome-port for an underwater ULF camera? Or a light-gathering skylight?

Harold_4074
16-Jul-2013, 16:42
How about putting it up against a flat piece of acrylic, sealing the two together, and filling the inside with a sugar/water solution? At 85% concentration, the index of refraction will be just a bit less than that of soda-lime glass, but lesser concentrations might get you to a point where the focal length of the assembly becomes interesting. Not well-corrected, mind you, but interesting.

Tin Can
16-Jul-2013, 16:58
The biggest problem is I don't own it, the owner has given and sold me 100's of pounds of cameras, but I guess I convinced him this thing is fantastic. My bad.

His deceased father was a camera and tool hoarder of the highest rank, I helped him sell the Leicas, I got the LF. Still plenty in that room in Ohio, gotta get back in that room...

Now I must be happy installing a Reinhold Monster as a Camera Obscura, and figure a way to get the Del Riccio in a fair deal.

How about putting it up against a flat piece of acrylic, sealing the two together, and filling the inside with a sugar/water solution? At 85% concentration, the index of refraction will be just a bit less than that of soda-lime glass, but lesser concentrations might get you to a point where the focal length of the assembly becomes interesting. Not well-corrected, mind you, but interesting.