PDA

View Full Version : Whats everybody doing with Photoshop?

Shootar401
25-Jun-2013, 18:49
Since Adobe are being greedy little babies and making everybody rent their software what will you guys do? Rent the versions as they are released, used the most current version or move to another program?

I have CS4 on my MacPro and CS6 on my MacBook. There is no way in hell I'm paying monthly for a piece of software I use a few times a month. If I was a pro, then yeah, maybe. If not I'll stick with CS6 until I can't run it on my hardware then move to GIMP or another program. In the mean time I'll be looking at "other ways" to get Photoshop CC.

Greg Miller
25-Jun-2013, 19:23
You might want to have a read through this thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?103046-Adobe-is-going-to-only-sell-subscription-based-Photoshop&highlight=adobe

Light Guru
25-Jun-2013, 20:12
In the mean time I'll be looking at "other ways" to get Photoshop CC.

Yea you pirating software is really going to encourage Adobe to change.

If your to cheep to pay $20 a month (that's a cup of coffee a week) your also to cheep to actually buy photoshop.

ic-racer
25-Jun-2013, 20:17
If there were some way to print a negative without a computer one could tell Adobe where to stick their program....

Brian Ellis
25-Jun-2013, 21:23
I upgraded from CS5 to CS6 and will keep using CS6 as long as possible. After that who knows? But unless Adobe does something to make CS6 unusable or impractical I figure I should be good with CS6 for a long time.

JW Dewdney
25-Jun-2013, 21:59
just get one version and stick with it. There's no reason to upgrade if you have a 'workflow' (as they say) that works well. I'm on CS1 currently with no plans to upgrade.

lecarp
26-Jun-2013, 05:20
Freestyle, B&H are photoshops. And these are my favorite printers

photobymike
26-Jun-2013, 05:34
LOL lecarp i like your favorite printers..... It is a game ...."if you want to play you have to pay".. in the bigger picture..... life is all about renting and when you die it all gets repossessed .... even your kids will not appreciate or keep your favorite camera ... they want to know how to get the cash from it......Your pictures... if they have no value they will hit the dumpster ... The family pictures may make the cut.... As a company, Adobe is trying to get the most out of their users before they die. My CS4 will be passed on to my kids, because it have some use, value....
"No matter where you go, there you are"

jnantz
26-Jun-2013, 05:47
im using cs2 and will upgrde when i change computers
... that is, if the computer i purchase doesn't support cs2

Pete Watkins
26-Jun-2013, 06:36
I don't use Photoshop but I'm informed that a bloke in China has hacked it already.
Lecarp, that's brilliant!
Pete

Brian Ellis
26-Jun-2013, 08:05
Freestyle, B&H are photoshops. And these are my favorite printers

What are those things? They look like picture frames but how would you make a print with a picture frame?

Jim Noel
26-Jun-2013, 08:11
If there were some way to print a negative without a computer one could tell Adobe where to stick their program....
There is, and I do . It's called a darkroom.

Jim Noel
26-Jun-2013, 08:12
Those are contact printing frames. They hold the negative and paper in close contact for exposure under an appropriate light source.

Brian Ellis
26-Jun-2013, 08:20
Those are contact printing frames. They hold the negative and paper in close contact for exposure under an appropriate light source.

Thanks, I didn't realize people were still printing that way.

sully75
26-Jun-2013, 09:46
Yea you pirating software is really going to encourage Adobe to change.

If your to cheep to pay $20 a month (that's a cup of coffee a week) your also to cheep to actually buy photoshop.

Stockholm syndrome...

Heroique
26-Jun-2013, 10:07
What are those things? They look like picture frames but how would you make a print with a picture frame?

B&H just announced they will begin loaning frames to customers for $20 per month.

They will soon stop selling them.

Return shipping is free when you’re done.

Jody_S
26-Jun-2013, 10:12
What do I intend to do about Photoshop? Same as I've been doing for years. Of course, some day I probably should learn how to use it.

Otto Seaman
26-Jun-2013, 10:14
I'm resaving all my most important and future images as TIFs rather than PSDs so that they will be compatible with other software in the future. And after gripping, I am going to subscribe to CC for the $10/month first year deal offered to CS6 users. However I am letting the rest of my CS6 apps sit tight because I don't need them as much as I do Photoshop. If I need InDesign CC then I can rent it for the month or two the project requires it, or use Pages or other options.

I'm also giving up on Lightroom because I've never gotten along with it and don't shoot enough digital to benefit from its workflow, ACR and Bridge do just fine.

Hopefully competition results in some valid alternatives or at least forces Adobe to lower its prices.

Adobe will only make the minimum from me, and actually lose money because I used to upgrade the entire Suite but no longer. And they have lost my loyalty, as long as I can retain 16-bit high quality images and printing in my workflow, I'll jump to a competitive option even if it isn't as "feature-packed" as Photoshop.

David N Docherty
26-Jun-2013, 11:41

Amen Brother(Sister?). I haven't opened Photoshop for over a year - amazing what can be accomplished with a few chemicals in a personal space...

DannL
26-Jun-2013, 12:50
Thanks, I didn't realize people were still printing that way.

For a few of us, it's the only way to print. I do like the printing frames, as the software is always up to date. ;-)

Harley Goldman
26-Jun-2013, 14:48
I plan on sticking with CS6 for the foreseeable future. I got by fine with CS3 until I finally broke down and got 6, so 6 should last me a long time. Maybe someone will come up with a viable alternative or I will give Elements a try down the road. I will worry about it down the road.

Kirk Gittings
26-Jun-2013, 15:28
Well as I make my living partially with PS this is not a joke for me. And no, beyond the odd personal project that has commercial appeal, its not possible to run a busy AP commercial business with analogue. Fortunately I get it for free from one of the institutions I teach at but I won't have that forever. If I didn't I would have to pay monthly for it. Every iteration of PS has some new tool or upgraded tool that makes me more productive and that means saved time which means better profits or higher quality or X.

Unfortunately this move to subscriptions means Adobe now has no need for regular upgrades to generate cash as they have us literally by the balls. I will support every serious attempt to build a competitor. That is what the market needs most. Serious competition.

Henry Ambrose
26-Jun-2013, 16:38
I'd definitely be interested in a competitive alternative - if it was about as good as PS 5.5 or maybe CS3 (just need the camera plug-ins for modern digi cameras) I could get by just fine. Or it could go the way I went with page layout programs - simply stop upgrading until it just won't work anymore on any machine I own. That business went away about 10 years ago and this one has been ready to slip below the waves for a few years now. We've been enjoying this digital musical chairs ride and now we find ourselves left out of a chair. This is coming to computing in general so go ahead and get used to it. You will soon own nothing that you use to make your living. It'll be like a carpenter who has to rent a hammer. I'm thoroughly disgusted.

8x10 user
6-Jul-2013, 11:32
Yep it was cracked within 24 hours of its release.

From what I have heard photoshop is the easiest to steal software. It is so easy that you have to wonder if Adobe made it that way so that the people who steal software, would at least use adobe products rather than adobe's competition.

I actually saw someone install CS5 the "free way" before... They downloaded the trial version, modified their hosts file so that PS cant talk to certain adobe servers, then "registered" the software "offline" using a phony serial number... Too easy.

Personally I am using a paid for version of CS5, but would not pay for a subscription software service unless it was $5 or so per month.

I don't use Photoshop but I'm informed that a bloke in China has hacked it already.
Lecarp, that's brilliant!
Pete

David R Munson
6-Jul-2013, 11:53
I am amazed by how much people are still complaining about the move to Creative Cloud. Let's say that out of all of the Adobe programs, you only use Photoshop. If you're too cheap to pay $20/month for an incredibly powerful piece of software, that's your problem. Either stick with an older version as long as possible or find another way to do what you need to do (Gimp, anyone?). Nobody is holding anyone hostage, nobody is forcing you to give Adobe your money.

If you're shooting large format, and are actually advocating pirating the software instead of paying less for Photoshop than you spend for frivolous daily expenses (Starbucks, beer, cable TV, etc), you really need to reexamine the nature of this situation. That's less than the cost of 4 sheets of 8x10 b&w film for the most powerful imaging software yet developed.

I'm paying the $50/month for the full CC subscription and I'm thrilled with what I get for it. I actively and regularly use Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Lightroom, and Bridge. I also like that I have access to things like Premiere, Audition, and Dreamweaver whenever I need them, should a project or new idea call for it. I also like that when new versions of something come out, I don't have to debate whether or not to pay for the new version or just try to make do with old versions until I get too fed up to use them any more.

Yeah, I hope Adobe gets some much-needed competition because as Kirk points out, that's what the market is going to require to really evolve from here. But in the mean time I'd rather make my work and exploit the tools at hand than complain about those tools because the company that manages them did something that I don't like. Whining about something like this is a waste of time.

bob carnie
6-Jul-2013, 11:57
How does multiple users work within a small company, We have four people that need various Adobe products, two are PS and Lightroom users, and two are full suite users.

Jim collum
6-Jul-2013, 11:58
interesting take on it by Scott Kelby http://scottkelby.com/2013/you-said-something-i-disagree-with-you-must-be-getting-paid/

Greg Miller
6-Jul-2013, 12:18
I am amazed by how much people are still complaining about the move to Creative Cloud. Let's say that out of all of the Adobe programs, you only use Photoshop. If you're too cheap to pay $20/month for an incredibly powerful piece of software, that's your problem. Either stick with an older version as long as possible or find another way to do what you need to do (Gimp, anyone?). Nobody is holding anyone hostage, nobody is forcing you to give Adobe your money.

In this scenario, the price increase is about 81% if you have upgraded every release. If the price of gas went up 81%, everybody would be yelling and screaming. Why expect anything different with software?

David R Munson
6-Jul-2013, 12:34
http://asset1.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim2/2013/05/08/CS-vs-CC_1_610x266.png
http://asset0.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim2/2013/05/08/Photoshop-CS-vs-sub_1.png

Read the related article here. (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57583370-92/how-greedy-is-adobes-creative-cloud-subscription-not-very/)

Where are you getting your 81%? For me and many others, the long-term cost went down.

Greg Miller
6-Jul-2013, 12:42
That graph assumes a new user that is purchasing a full version (Adobe's marketing people presenting the best case scenario. which is not the most likely scenario). I purchased my full version over 10 years ago. I purchased Photoshop upgrade every 18 months for $200. That's $11.11 per month. $20 per month almost double the price.

David R Munson
6-Jul-2013, 12:46
Ok, but are you saying then that Photoshop isn't worth $20/month? Nobody is going to be happy if their rate for something goes up, but even if it does, I don't think the increase is unreasonable. 81% is quite a jump if you look at it like that, but doesn't amount to much at an extra $8.88/month.

Greg Miller
6-Jul-2013, 12:57
Ok, but are you saying then that Photoshop isn't worth $20/month? Nobody is going to be happy if their rate for something goes up, but even if it does, I don't think the increase is unreasonable. 81% is quite a jump if you look at it like that, but doesn't amount to much at an extra $8.88/month.

I don't necessarily mind a price increase. If there is justification for it. Such as better features. But let's face it - these are mature products feature-wise. The are no revolutionary changes happening that would justify an 80% increase. I don't see why anyone would be surprised that people would be unhappy about an 80% price increase, regardless of whether they can afford it or not.

And it isn't just the price increase. I don't care to rent my software indefinitely either - I don't like the idea of the possibility of a single tough financial month over the course of the rest of my life taking my software away for that month. Or Adobe deciding to increase the rent another 81% next year. So it is a drastic price increase plus an unwanted (for me) payment model change to boot. So, yes, I don't like it and I don't see why its so hard understand why someone might feel that way.

Leszek Vogt
6-Jul-2013, 13:07
For one thing the new cost could be changed to make up for the loses....from those that decided not to go to the cloud or cost/mo. I hear lots of folk are turning anti Adobe. Regardless of cost, the the troubling factor is that everything could go puff and then what ? This is more a rhetorical Q, since I can make do without PS....and have.

Les

Kirk Gittings
6-Jul-2013, 20:45

I know some big time Adobe users with 2k licenses. Their big concern is what incentive now does Adobe have to keep up the level of product development? They used to to have to come up with some upgrades to raise cash..........now since they have no real competition and can get everyone to subscribe..............

Brian Ellis
7-Jul-2013, 07:42
If I used Photoshop on a day-to-day-basis I wouldn't mind $20 a month, which represents an increase of about $10 a month from my old upgrade costs (roughly $190 every 18 months). But I don't. I sometimes use it every day for a week or so, then don't use it for another month or I often only use it for maybe an hour or two a day. Or something in between those extremes. Basically I'm just not a heavy user, I work mostly on photographs I think I might want to print and there aren't so many of them that I spend massive numbers of hours with Photoshop.

I also don't like being at the mercy of whatever price increases Adobe chooses to impose in the future and they certainly will come, the only question is how often and how much. And finally, CS6 is fine for what I do, I don't see any startling new improvements for photographers down the road, or at least none that would be important to me. The last upgrade that I thought significant to me was CS4. I upgraded to CS5 and 6 and there are a couple things in both that are nice but for me not really worth the upgrade cost. So I'll stick with CS6 and CR8.1 for as long as Adobe doesn't do something that makes them unusable.

cjbroadbent
7-Jul-2013, 12:07
So at last Adobe has got round to asking your permission to phone home. And they are going to charge you.

To assuage my nephophobia (http://common-phobias.com/Nepho/phobia.htm), I keep my work computer off line and log in now and then for updates. Anyway, like Dakotah, I don't have a stable web connection.

The place and face tagging drones can wait and I'll have to manage without camera-shake-correction and raw-HDR.

Struan Gray
7-Jul-2013, 14:05
I have a working legal license for CS5 which I will use until it dies in harness. Most of the filtering and colour correction I do can easily be done in shareware apps, or by rolling my own filters in technical imaging programs. What I would really miss in a Photoshop-free world are the selection tools and the various ways of cleaning up scanned film with the clone and repair stamps.

Ralph Eugene Meatyard supposedly processed all his film once a year, in a summer holiday binge which seems to have involved the whole family running around to help, rather like haymaking or getting in the harvest. I don't 'burn film', and I tend to gang up processing to save on chemicals and/or postage too, so provided Adobe don't introduce a minimum number of months for subscription, I may find myself going for the digital equivalent: renting Photoshop for one month only every now and then to work intensively on the things that really require what Photoshop offers.

A pain, and an incentive to look for other options, but not unworkable.

Jeff Dexheimer
14-Jul-2013, 13:05
I bought a copy of CS6. I figure it will last me for years to come. As has been mentioned several times already, Photoshop is mature software and CS6 will suit my needs for as long as I can imagine. The end result for me is the print, so as long as my scan-->Photoshop-->print workflow is compatible, I figure I can hold indefinitely.

Tyler Boley
14-Jul-2013, 13:39
Actually PS3 does all I need, I wound up at 5 because things "around" it changed, so it had to change as well. Also, anyone who teaches or has clients on newer versions needs to be up to date. Still, I doubt I'll go to the cloud. Individual artists who are experts and need advanced tools like PS provided, but lack the means in this economy to increase overhead, might look at Photoline. Very affordable, looks like it does all I need with a few exceptions I can work around, but as usual with affordable software, funky interface. But how much can you ask for at it's price?
It's worth a look.
Tyler

bob carnie
15-Jul-2013, 06:45
I have CS3 at work and CS6 at home, the clone tool alone and the straightening tool are great improvements in CS6. I will continue to be a client for the foreseeable future and when we upgrade here at work will just bite the bullet.

Jim Noel
15-Jul-2013, 07:19
Corel Photo Paint and/or Gimp - No more Photoshop for me.

Preston
15-Jul-2013, 07:55
I have CS6 (on a DVD just in case I need to reinstall it) and plan to keep using it as long as it's compatible with my hardware and OS.

I use Photo Shop frequently, but not enough to justify a subscription at this point in time.

--P

Peter York
15-Jul-2013, 07:56
I just got a flyer for a newer version of Picture Window Pro, the program I had been using before getting CS3. Those of you looking to jump the Adobe ship should look into it. My CS6 arrived about 2 weeks ago, and I will use it as long as possible.

Michael Graves
15-Jul-2013, 08:12
I am amazed by how much people are still complaining about the move to Creative Cloud....

I object strongly to being forced to move into cloud computing of any sort. Doing so forces me to put a lot more faith into the security protocols and implementations of others than I care to. Security aside, putting the executable onto the cloud is one step away from forcing you to use cloud storage. I prefer to NOT let others take control of my documents, images, personally identifiable information (except as required) and so forth. Call me paranoid if you will. I probably am. But being paranoid won't keep people from stealing from me. I just spent six weeks clearing up some credit card fraud that resulted from a third-party bank card processing service leaking information. If the banks are that vulnerable, how are the cloud service providers supposed to convince me that they're not?