PDA

View Full Version : spirit levels, Sinar Norma

andy41
25-Jun-2013, 00:29
Hi,

on my recently acquired Norma 3 of the spirit levels have no liquid in them any more, they are therefore useless. The new Sinar in Switzerland (successors to Koch) have no spares.

I have discovered a manufacturer of spirit levels who could supply same size cylinders with liquid in them (of course!) but they come without the base plate to mount them.

My question: does anybody know if the Sinar Norma spirit level cylinders were glued or welded to their respective acrylic base plates? This would make a big difference: glued can probably be separated without damage, welded can not.

Your wisdom appreciated!

andy41

Struan Gray
25-Jun-2013, 00:33
I have one which has popped off it's base. That makes me suspect it's glued.

You have some other options. If you have a small diameter drill bit, a syringe, and a steady hand it is possible to re-fill the levels. Seal with silicone gunk. You might luck into a standard or an unloved Sinar Alpina which you can cannibalise for parts. You could also 3D print a base plate quite easily if you're into that.

andy41
25-Jun-2013, 22:37
I have one which has popped off it's base. That makes me suspect it's glued.

You have some other options. If you have a small diameter drill bit, a syringe, and a steady hand it is possible to re-fill the levels. Seal with silicone gunk. You might luck into a standard or an unloved Sinar Alpina which you can cannibalise for parts. You could also 3D print a base plate quite easily if you're into that.

andy41
25-Jun-2013, 22:41
Thank you, Struan, your answer gives me hope that I can pop off all the empty cylinders from their base and glue on new ones of the same size. Would be a much cheaper solution than any of the others suggested.
Best
andy41

Steven Tribe
14-Oct-2014, 03:29
Has anyone more information about replacement of spirit levels on Sinar Norma?

I need to replace a lot!

Have suggested to mods that this would probably be better in the DIY thread.