PDA

View Full Version : Kodak 8x10 2D with Packard Shutter

SLVRGLTN
24-Jun-2013, 15:49
So here goes I just got a nice Kodak 2D 8x10 that came with a built in Packard Shutter and has the original bellows which are light tight and has a bulb release with tube, so here is the issue I really don't use Packard shutters I was thinking of taking it out carefully because I rather use the funds towards a lens and etc. the Packard shutter has an electrical system I will add pics to show what I'm talking about! I know I will need to fill in the holes it has in the camera so any advice on how to do it carefully without compromising anything on the camera?

The bulb is dried up but is there a way to recondition it? I think it's rubber with maybe leather on the outside not to sure about that!

This camera is the same as my Kodak 2D 5x7

All the electronics are still attached to the Packard shutter as seen in the pics nothing looks broken or damaged so I will end up selling it to go towards a lens mainly for studio and still life work!

Thanks for any help with this I do need to clean the bellows and wood I will need to oil up the gears but that's mainly it any advice on any or part of this is greatly appreciated

Thanks Brian

Jon Shiu
24-Jun-2013, 16:20
You can fill the holes with wood filler and then paint over with black paint.

Jon

Jim C.
24-Jun-2013, 16:32
The squeeze bulbs and tubes are easily obtained, Jon could probably help you with that, toss the petrified ones.

SLVRGLTN
24-Jun-2013, 16:52
I was actually thinking about using the petrified one in a still life but haven't thought how I can use it! I might cut in half and use it that way!

Jon thanks for the advice I was thinking wooden dowls will be the easiest way but I can try to match the stain color if at all possible.

Jim C.
24-Jun-2013, 20:57
Wooden dowels will give you end grain, it will stain much darker.
If Jon's idea of wood filler is not to your liking, look into plug cutters
if you have a drill press, you can cut a plug out of mahogany with at least
the right grain orientation.

Jon Shiu
24-Jun-2013, 21:47
I have some scrap 2D mahogany if you want it.

Jon

SLVRGLTN
25-Jun-2013, 07:09
Thanks for the offer Jon I might take you up on that but I want to look into the wood fillers to see what's available at the depot or lowes!

I am missing one brass ground glass clip I saw some none brass on eBay but they are outrageously priced for a set of 2

Does anyone have a value on the Packard shutters in original condition or how to test to see if it works because if you look at the 2nd pic it shows the brown plug thing on either side you can plug into it!

I need a bulb release (rubber tubing looks ok that came with it) to replace the old one to test it but I can easily find those!

Any ideas on how to safely remove the shutter without compromising anything else on the bellows?

Jon Shiu
25-Jun-2013, 08:08
The brown plug thing is a jury rigged flash sync that is obsolete. I would remove the plug but keep the back wires and mechanism in back in case someone wanted to use it. Unscrew the 4 screws in the corners at the back of the shutter and it will come off. You can test the shutter by using your mouth on the hose. Also, I can supply bulb if needed.

They do have all sorts of colors of wood putty in the paint section.

Jon

Thanks for the offer Jon I might take you up on that but I want to look into the wood fillers to see what's available at the depot or lowes!

I am missing one brass ground glass clip I saw some none brass on eBay but they are outrageously priced for a set of 2

Does anyone have a value on the Packard shutters in original condition or how to test to see if it works because if you look at the 2nd pic it shows the brown plug thing on either side you can plug into it!

I need a bulb release (rubber tubing looks ok that came with it) to replace the old one to test it but I can easily find those!

Any ideas on how to safely remove the shutter without compromising anything else on the bellows?

dsphotog
25-Jun-2013, 11:09
I'd leave the Packard in there! It's ideal (small pun) for your stated use, still life photography.
Plus it will simplify the use of interesting and/or less expensive barrel mount lenses.
The flash synch outlet will allow using studio strobes.
You can always use shutter mounted lenses by leaving the Packard shutter open.

SLVRGLTN
25-Jun-2013, 13:30
It's too late took me less than 5mins to take it out and everything works like it should now to sell it to get a lens for 8x10 and still need to clean up a bit but I'm in no rush to work with it! I would be up for trade for an Ilex #5 working shutter I already have lens cells for a Kodak Wide Field Ektar 10" (250mm) fstop to start at 6.3 go up to 45 what I found out for my research! They screw directly into the shutter according to the person I got it from! Plus I need to plug up the holes with something like Jon suggested or a matching filler at the depot! Any interest send me a PM

Thanks Brian

SLVRGLTN
25-Jun-2013, 15:44
Jon

Just checked out your website very nice my favorites are:

Dungeness, Kelp & Sand & Stone

Very simple but yet complexed in a beautiful way!

All shot with a 8x10?

SLVRGLTN
26-Jun-2013, 05:34
So any idea on how to date this thing? Serial number is 121525

The rail states 9. the ext rail is 645

I'm guessing from 1935 but not sure?

The ext rail fits without any issues so it's just weird!

Any info would help.

Thanks

My Kodak 2D 5x7 has a serial number 135660 with matching ext rail numbers are 15

ashley161
28-Jun-2013, 00:24
It's too late took me less than 5mins to take it out and everything works like it should now to sell it to get a lens for 8x10 and still need to clean up a bit but I'm in no rush to work with it! I would be up for trade for an Ilex #5 working shutter I already have lens cells for a Kodak Wide Field Ektar 10" (250mm) fstop to start at 6.3 go up to 45 what I found out for my research! They screw directly into the shutter according to the person I got it from! Plus I need to plug up the holes with something like Jon suggested or a matching filler at the depot! Any interest send me a PM

Thanks Brian

hey,

Thats a good piece of advice and i ever required i will use it

thx ashley