PDA

View Full Version : 11x14 doubts

Nicolasllasera
24-Jun-2013, 08:20
Im in the way to receive a Chamonix 11x14 and sone other goodies. And im not new in large format as I have been shooting 4x5 for 4 years and 8x10 for the last year. But I find the information on 11x14 all scattered around.

How do you load your film while traveling? I have a Harrison (biggest) tent and think it will work.

Where do you store your 11x14 negatives? I use print file negative plastic sheets but dont find any in 11x14.

I have two darkcloths for my other cameras. One is Ebony and works great on my 4x5s and one is Harrisons biggest, but I find it just big enough for my Sinar 8x10 and Wehman 8x10. Should i just make my own? Or does BTZS sell bigger ones?

If you have any other useful info about the format please let me know.

Thanks.

Daniel Stone
24-Jun-2013, 09:04
Im in the way to receive a Chamonix 11x14 and sone other goodies. And im not new in large format as I have been shooting 4x5 for 4 years and 8x10 for the last year. But I find the information on 11x14 all scattered around.

How do you load your film while traveling? I have a Harrison (biggest) tent and think it will work. The JUMBO sized tent is the one you want.

Where do you store your 11x14 negatives? I use print file negative plastic sheets but dont find any in 11x14. I use this(albeit I cut my own down from the smaller-sized sheets, to make 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 fold-over envelopes:
http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/section_15/section15_07.htm

I have two darkcloths for my other cameras. One is Ebony and works great on my 4x5s and one is Harrisons biggest, but I find it just big enough for my Sinar 8x10 and Wehman 8x10. Should i just make my own? Or does BTZS sell bigger ones?

I've found that black gore-tex or another lightweight cloth can make a REALLY nice dark cloth! Its easy to order from online sources, usually sold per yard.

If you have any other useful info about the format please let me know.

Have FUN :)

Thanks.

Sal Santamaura
24-Jun-2013, 09:20
...Where do you store your 11x14 negatives?...In these:

http://www.archivalmethods.com/Product.cfm?Productid=84

...Should i just make my own? Or does BTZS sell bigger ones?...Get this one:

http://www.viewcamerastore.com/11x14-btzs-focus-hood-dark-cloth/

Tav Walraven
24-Jun-2013, 22:51
I too use the same jumbo Harrison as Daniel, even for my 12x20 film. I keep my exposed negs in my large supply of boxes that 11x14 paper comes in and have reams of 20# bond cut down to 11x14 at my printer and interleave each film with paper. For my 11x14, I have a Harrison and a BTZS for the 12x20. If Fred still sells the BTZS, get it. They work great.

TW

Daniel Stone
25-Jun-2013, 00:00
I don't shoot 11x14(yet ;)), but 5x7 at the moment(and loving it!) I still use my jumbo Harrison tent since I used to use(and might again in the future) 8x10 film.

But I would have NO hesitation loading 11x14 film in it once that time comes.

-Dan

Nicolasllasera
25-Jun-2013, 01:11
I do have a Jumbo tent and it looks like it can hold bigger than 11x14. So that a thing less to buy. I will look into getting the BTZS dark cloth. And the film slips to archive my negatives.

Thanks for all the help. I hope to be shooting soon.

evan clarke
25-Jun-2013, 04:22
I have an 11x14 Cham. I store all my negatives now in bags from clearbags.com . I have a jumbo tent and it works but can usually find a dark spot somewhere when on the road. It's a fabulous camera..

Roger Thoms
25-Jun-2013, 06:53
Here's another source for sleeves. I bought WP sleeves from them a while back and they were great to deal with.

http://www.climaxphoto.net/store/product432.html

Roger

Carl J
28-Jun-2013, 12:52
I'm starting to work with 11x14 (at the moment) is it worth getting the Jumbo 'Plus' tent with extra 'wings' (extensions)? Pricey, though. :(

Thanks.

bob carnie
28-Jun-2013, 13:05
For those using 11 x14 cameras here is a few questions.

How much different is it from using a 8x10 on location or studio? Is the experience somewhat the same.
What quality's do you see different in the print quality between the two.

I am fortunate enough to own a mint condition 11 x14 Devere enlarger , I have only worked with 8 x10 and 4x5 for my projects on this enlarger. I love the experience of 8x10 film and the quality really suits me, would moving up to 11 x14 open another door for me in quality or experience. I immediately see the benefit of making
11 x14 contacts which are my portfolio size , this in itself is a major bonus.
If I was to go down this wormhole, I process my solarizations in stainless deep tanks with holders, Is there 11 x14 stainless holders out there?.
I do have an option of Jobo processing , but I am more interested in the flash mid development which requires stainless holders.

I do not photograph rocks, trees, water , snow or mountains, All of my work is on a tripod 100 ft from the permanent darkroom or a travelling Darkroom I am building. So lugging the beast around is not a issue for me. I already own some very significant tripods for the studio work.

Erik Larsen
28-Jun-2013, 14:08

How much different is it from using a 8x10 on location or studio? Is the experience somewhat the same.

I am fortunate enough to own a mint condition 11 x14 Devere enlarger , I have only worked with 8 x10 and 4x5 for my projects on this enlarger. I love the experience of 8x10 film and the quality really suits me, would moving up to 11 x14 open another door for me in quality or experience. I immediately see the benefit of making
If I was to go down this wormhole, I process my solarizations in stainless deep tanks with holders, Is there 11 x14 stainless holders out there?.
I do have an option of Jobo processing , but I am more interested in the flash mid development which requires stainless holders.

I do not photograph rocks, trees, water , snow or mountains, All of my work is on a tripod 100 ft from the permanent darkroom or a travelling Darkroom I am building. So lugging the beast around is not a issue for me. I already own some very significant tripods for the studio work.

No difference really in the operation compared to smaller formats. Lenses and bellows draw become longer and depth of field smaller. The dof is really the only thing I notice as a significant difference. Small apertures are the norm for me, but I only shoot rocks, trees, water, snow and mountains:)
Regards
Erik

bob carnie
29-Jun-2013, 05:36
Could you explain the DOF comment, I shoot small objects sometimes close to 1 : 1 , now mostly on the Sinar 4 x5

Liquid Artist
29-Jun-2013, 06:16
Could you explain the DOF comment, I shoot small objects sometimes close to 1 : 1 , now mostly on the Sinar 4 x5
The DOF always gets smaller, as you go up in format size. Just look through a 35mm or digital SLR at the same f-stop as your LF focused on a close object and compare. You may be amazed.

It really doesn't mean much, other than you'll have to close the lens down a little more while shooting a larger format, and of course adjust for the shutter speed.
That sounds like fun. I'd love to try macro photography with an 11x14.

Tav Walraven
29-Jun-2013, 06:19

Bob...

I have found no hassle over the years when I moved up to 11x14 from my 8x10 and now shoot 12x20. With almost double the image size of 11x14 over 8x10, I began to appreciate the quality of my contacts with the 11x14 and have not used the 8x10 in years. Even more so with the 12x20 although it's well suited for landscapes, a 14x17 is in my future for wet-plate portraits. If I had your 11x14 enlarger next to my 8x10 enlarger, I know which one I'd be using for 22x28 prints. I roamed Big Bend years ago with the 11x14 and found it to be as easy to transport as the 8x10. My 12x20 is now really easier having converted a Samsonite suitcase to a rolling carrier with axle and large tubed Harbor Freight tires attached. My last trek with that set-up was over 1/2 mile to a favorite spot.

My development of all sizes is done in Ciba tubes on a reversing roller base. My Jobo has been in storage for years. As for DOF issues, lens choice dictates that concern for me. I have near-far sharpness all day long on the 12x20 with several lenses available and those fit the 11x14 Deardorff also. With your limited set-up distances of 100 ft., 11x14 should not be any problem at all, IMO and well worth the effort with regards to minimal distance. Go dance with it I'd love to have right of first refusal if you ever sell the DeVere!!

bob carnie
29-Jun-2013, 06:32
Sorry Tav

I use the Devere each week, worked all day yesterday with it, I have worked on many enlargers and this one is the best , for overall usage.
I may have it melted down to make the urn for me.

I have been doing a lot of 8x10 work on a 100 year old studio camera using the lens hood as a shutter, and I love the experience, speed - yes speed of this unit- but for me the handling of the larger film is what really makes the experience worth it.
I can only imagine what it would be like working with the 11x14. I think it will be one of my future purchases.

2x magnification at 22 x28 , just think. My solarization project almost destroys the film , I will have to figure out something different to expose.
I have a wonderful Durst 2000 right next to the devere so large film is no issue to print in my house.

Bob...

I have found no hassle over the years when I moved up to 11x14 from my 8x10 and now shoot 12x20. With almost double the image size of 11x14 over 8x10, I began to appreciate the quality of my contacts with the 11x14 and have not used the 8x10 in years. Even more so with the 12x20 although it's well suited for landscapes, a 14x17 is in my future for wet-plate portraits. If I had your 11x14 enlarger next to my 8x10 enlarger, I know which one I'd be using for 22x28 prints. I roamed Big Bend years ago with the 11x14 and found it to be as easy to transport as the 8x10. My 12x20 is now really easier having converted a Samsonite suitcase to a rolling carrier with axle and large tubed Harbor Freight tires attached. My last trek with that set-up was over 1/2 mile to a favorite spot.

My development of all sizes is done in Ciba tubes on a reversing roller base. My Jobo has been in storage for years. As for DOF issues, lens choice dictates that concern for me. I have near-far sharpness all day long on the 12x20 with several lenses available and those fit the 11x14 Deardorff also. With your limited set-up distances of 100 ft., 11x14 should not be any problem at all, IMO and well worth the effort with regards to minimal distance. Go dance with it I'd love to have right of first refusal if you ever sell the DeVere!!