PDA

View Full Version : BOLO alert: Stolen 8x10 Master view

matthew blais
23-Jun-2013, 15:13
My beloved KMV 8x10 was stolen from my truck yesterday (Sat, 6/22/13) parked out front of my gallery and studio.

No serial number recorded (do they have one?) but had a new (i installed) bellows from Western bellows, a thin page magnifier fresnel over the GG on back, and a custom KMV to Teknika adaptor panel on front. The top of the adaptor lensboard had a simple aluminum piece, about 3/4" long and 1/2"wide with a brass tight down screw (looked like a table lamp piece). A not too good of a mock up photo attached.

No straps on bellows, a few chips on bottom base..

It was also in a Photobackpacker case for 8x10. The RPT embossed logo on case.
So, I have a police report, have handed out fliers to some local antique and pawn stores and notified a few local guys who are out at camera shows and looking for treasures.

So, since they rarely come up for sale, please notify me if you become aware of one anywhere, anytime. Reward offered. Thanks

Oh, and pretty sure whomever snatched it knows nothing about large format as they left the case of three lenses I had..worth more than the camera.

That's it...
Thanks
951 204 1451

vinny
23-Jun-2013, 15:18
shit matt, I hope you get it back.

Robert Langham
23-Jun-2013, 15:19
I'm sorry to hear this news. Might turn up- never can tell.

Erik Larsen
23-Jun-2013, 15:24
Man, that sucks! I hope there's a happy ending...

GSX4
23-Jun-2013, 17:10
Well that f'ing blows... Will keep an eye out Matt.

shadow images
23-Jun-2013, 17:19
That sucks. I prowl Craigslist a lot in an Az,Nv,and Ca. I will keep my eye out and definitely let you know if I run across anything.

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Jun-2013, 18:50
Matt, this is not good. I'll keep an eye out for it as well.

ghostcount
23-Jun-2013, 19:07
Damn!!!

I'll keep an eye out on OC CL.

matthew blais
23-Jun-2013, 19:08
Thanks to all...I think if it's found it'll be due to people like you keeping a heads up! Many thanks

dsphotog
23-Jun-2013, 19:42
Check_pawn_shops.

Shootar401
23-Jun-2013, 20:54
The guys who stole it will probably pawn it for drugs. I would check the pawn shops even if they are an hour or two away.

JW Dewdney
23-Jun-2013, 21:36
or watch for new users asking how to used a kodak 8x10 master view...

JW Dewdney
23-Jun-2013, 21:41
Oh, and pretty sure whomever snatched it knows nothing about large format as they left the case of three lenses I had..worth more than the camera.

reminds me of the time my jeep got broken into and 'they' stole my minolta flashmeter (cause it prolly looked like a consumer camera in it's minolta case) and 20 4x5 film holders - and completely ignored the huge case with $20K of sinar gear in the back seat!! Could be worse I figured...

Matthew - honestly - try to find a few pics of masterviews online and then thrown them into google image search and go on 'visually similar images' - the google search algorithm is actually getting VERY sophisticated!! I'd bet if you use enough reference images you might just find someone trying to sell it online... no matter where... as long as there's a pic. I'd bet they'd try to sell from a fictitious location so as not to get busted... good luck. I'll keep my eyes pealed.

Shootar401
24-Jun-2013, 07:34
JW Dewdney brings up a good point. When I look for stuff on eBay I only search for items in the US since I don't buy from sellers overseas. Sometimes people will say an item is in Pakistan only to have shipped from Colorado. Widen the search radius and be lax on the search terms.

matthew blais
24-Jun-2013, 08:08
Good advice on the google image search. I just returned from a disgusting hour of dumpster diving...80% were locked and some emptied already and the others...peeked in and move a few items around but nada...

Ari
24-Jun-2013, 09:49
A pawn shop is where I found my Hasselblad kit after my apartment was broken into.
This was just before the internet assumed control of the planet, so I sent out faxes to every pawn shop in the city with descriptions and serial numbers.
Not only did I get my stuff back, the pawn shop called the police to nab the guy, knowing he'd be back with my Dynalites the next day!

Good luck, Matthew.

Andrew O'Neill
24-Jun-2013, 11:13
Matthew, I know how you feel. I spent days going to all the pawn shops, watching the internet, etc, but saw nothing of mine. Luckily my insurance covered everything in the end. I hope there is a happy ending for you!

Robert Langham
24-Jun-2013, 12:04
You might run a craigslist ad saying you buy old big fold up cameras. Dang sorry you are having to endure this.

matthew blais
24-Jun-2013, 12:22
I do have a CL ad up, and have had it offering to buy vintage cameras.

Wouldn't it be great if said thief brought it in to my shop and offered to sell it to me? :)

Jehu
24-Jun-2013, 12:27
I do have a CL ad up, and have had it offering to buy vintage cameras.

Wouldn't it be great if said thief brought it in to my shop and offered to sell it to me? :)

Headlines: "Thief beaten to death with monopod in camera shop." I like it.

Tin Can
24-Jun-2013, 12:43
You listed a lot of details, perhaps you withheld something only you know to prove to the police it is yours...

I hope so.

If you are not a pro, you can claim it on homeowner's insurance.

JW Dewdney
24-Jun-2013, 12:53
also - check european and other ebays - most of that stuff doesn't show up on ebay.com (north american ebay). You can frequently find things you can't find on ebay that way... (e.g. ebay.fr, ebay.co.uk, ebay.de, ebay.it etc)

JW Dewdney
24-Jun-2013, 12:57
here's a good place to start looking: google images limited to "8x10 view camera" only image results in the last 24 hours:

http://www.google.com/search?q=8x10+view+camera&num=20&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&tbs=qdr:d&sa=X&ei=WqTIUb2SEsXNigKf6oCoCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1157&bih=975

matthew blais
24-Jun-2013, 13:49
Thanks Randy, there's a few things I did not put in description.
I am a working pro but this was a hobby item so maybe it'll pass